The MT-07 Forum

Leon Group Splash Gaurd review

lovakhan

It took me a while to pull the trigger on this, due to the fact that Ive seen one other fz with this online. No reviews given so heres mine.

200 miles on this splash gaurd and im impressed. I dont notice any rattling or any sort of instability. I will say it is solid. The only plastic material is the gaurd itself. The arms are 4mm thick steel (as per description) with no signs of corrosion to date. As for looks, i appreciate the way it flows w the bike. Its subtle but not plain. Altogether, I think its a great product.

The cons: probably the price will be the main deterrent for people. Ive read people contacting the seller directly inorder to get for cheaper but it will be a longer shipment. So most the price consist of shipping from Thailand. Other object on this item replacing the left washer thing on the axle. This has not cause me problems. But installation was a pain because of this. I actually dont know if my wheels are perfectly straight. Though it doesnt hinder from adjusting tension.

In conclusion. I thought the finctionality of this gaurd would benefit my riding due to the fact that I ride in the PNW. If i were located in a location w less rain, i would not really care for it. It does weigh an extra 2.5kg.

c456117d5add98b36da3bdcd095bc5ba.jpg
d5d512cb71a067b37f4faa7bae5b8faa.jpg
4915cb02a786907492a795345c4c5d38.jpg
0a0a7555cb2a5382156400f0494f2feb.jpg
62b0e14b9151ac74312b0864b5474045.jpg

Sweet, Thanks for the pics and review!

I do not like that it forces you to remove the left axle bit. Not sure if it is the angle of the picture but it looks like your tire is pointing slightly right. As the bottom center of the guard is a tad to the right of center and the shock is left of center of the tire. Though hopefully that is just the angle of the pic. Maybe get a straight on rear shot to get a better idea if straight. Would you mind also a close up of the axle nut, and a side shot?

I like how you tucked the leds away and didn't just slap them on the pass peg bars. You're missing the pass peg on the clutch side!!

Thank for being the guinea @lovakhan!

Great review - I'm just not comfortable with how it's connected to the swingarm. Very Ducati-esque though.
I know. It came w a plate which replaces the missing piece. Seems to be working. So far

Guest ChicagoAJ
Great review - I'm just not comfortable with how it's connected to the swingarm. Very Ducati-esque though.
I know. It came w a plate which replaces the missing piece. Seems to be working. So far
You could grab one of these to make sure your wheel is straight to replace the wondering with knowing it's semi-straight. 

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0048-Chain-Alignment/dp/B000GTVOJQ

Guest ChicagoAJ
heard you couldn't wheelie on them, im waiting for the shipping to come down, to pull the trigger
Can wheelie as much as you want with them... 

....until it scrapes. 

Sweet, Thanks for the pics and review! 
I do not like that it forces you to remove the left axle bit. Not sure if it is the angle of the picture but it looks like your tire is pointing slightly right. As the bottom center of the guard is a tad to the right of center and the shock is left of center of the tire. Though hopefully that is just the angle of the pic. Maybe get a straight on rear shot to get a better idea if straight. Would you mind also a close up of the axle nut, and a side shot?

I like how you tucked the leds away and didn't just slap them on the pass peg bars. You're missing the pass peg on the clutch side!!

Thank for being the guinea @lovakhan!
1ad47d6d8bc5bf7c3af38dbb69e56601.jpg
1ed4994d9d853efbc4b800b4fe7d70bb.jpg
f74d002efdbef67c8930cdb02d87252a.jpg

Yes. Im missing my left pass peg. My wife changed her mind and now welcomes the idea of riding two up. I liked riding solo but ive gotten the hang of it. I know the mechanics are similar. But now i have to re install it...just very low on the priority list

I ordered that chain alignment tool btw. Thanks.

And i picked up my front end on accident today. The hooligoblin came out. Didnt scrape. Plus wheelies are not necessary on this to enjoy it.

You could grab one of these to make sure your wheel is straight to replace the wondering with knowing it's semi-straight.
What you might also do, is pour a bucket of water on a stretch of flat concrete and slowly ride through it. The water traces from the wheels will show if a wheel is off-centered. 

• Premium Member

Apart from looks (always subjective), function, engineering, and/or price... adding weight to a moving suspension part is never a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

" adding weight to a moving suspension part is never a good thing."
Completely true , increasing unsprung weight and especially that far from the pivot. But for normal street use and for the increase crud protection if touring I can see the benefits ( even if I think the execution is a bit "Manga style"). Adding weight to the back of a bike adversely effects the handling of a bike but that's where most luggage is carried. World of compromise.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Holy hell I am probably going to sound like an idiot. But what is the practical application of this in the location that it is at.

I'm not PHD holder in physics, but by the time the wheel gets to the location this hugger is at, wouldn't everything have already been slung off? Would it not make more sense for a longer hugger where the stock is at to bring the "exhaust" of it pointing straight back instead of toward the under tail?

• Premium Member
Holy hell I am probably going to sound like an idiot. But what is the practical application of this in the location that it is at. 
I'm not PHD holder in physics, but by the time the wheel gets to the location this hugger is at, wouldn't everything have already been slung off? Would it not make more sense for a longer hugger where the stock is at to bring the "exhaust" of it pointing straight back instead of toward the under tail?
Here's a video that shows how it works.

Why can't left turners see us?

Great! That actually helps with a visual. Next question.

Looks like the key use is to or even forward splashing toward the rider when the tire extends past the tail.

Would that then mean something like this is useless if you keep the stock fender instead of throwing on a fender eliminator?

• Premium Member

Great! That actually helps with a visual. Next question. 
Looks like the key use is to or even forward splashing toward the rider when the tire extends past the tail.

Would that then mean something like this is useless if you keep the stock fender instead of throwing on a fender eliminator?
Good question.  I guess we'd have to see a similar video with the stock fender to know for sure, but with stock fender, I don't think it would be as necessary. 

Why can't left turners see us?

The bikes that have this sort of design OEM usually have short rear mudguards., hence the necessity (eg. Ducati).
Coming from the tropics , a rear mudguard that does project beyond the tail may be "uncool" or unfashionable but it's better than a ton on water and mud all over your back and a wet bum.
I usually design a "flat" rear projection rear guard so it does have much aero drag but stops the crud.
This is my solution:
picview20save2.jpg

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived