The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 on Interstate

ssdawood

I am a new rider in US. In India I used to ride smaller 250 cc for 4 years before I moved here.
Range of speed was between 40 to 80kms. Nothing compared to here.

I habe taken my bike on 84 interstate a couple of times. I feel very confident when I am riding below 55mph. I can feel the bike hugging the road and I habe full control.

But going on Interstate once I cross 55mph the bike feels very light. I don't feel the bike is hugging the road anymore and I don't feel confident riding .

Is it because I am new to these speeds and overtime it will build confidence.

Or is it that fz07 being a naked handles a little poorly on Interstate at speeds above 55mph and that's why I feel not confident.

Any help would be appreciated. Luke I said first time new rider experiencing these speeds.

I would not call it a full wobble but it definately feels like the front wheel and bar is a little wobbly at 60 plus mph

When I look down I don't see it wobbling but it feels unstable.

With speed, your inputs change. The force you apply to the bars will be different at 45mph vs 75mph. You need very little input on a highway at high speeds vs making a turn in a neighborhood at 20-25mph. I ride interstate ~75 quite often and have never felt that my FZ-07 was light or not planted.

I wonder if possibly you are not used to the wind blowing you around especially around large vehicles?

Yes that could be the reason. Luke I said first being around that kind wind and speed.

This morning I did 74 easily on 84. I was confident even with wind around me.

Maybe it was me and my new rider syndrome. Plus also the bike is still breaking in. It has 200 miles only.

I am thinking it will get easier. Maybe I am too new to these speeds.

• Global Moderator

When I first started riding on the interstate I felt the same as you about the front end feeling light. Now I do not notice it. Just give it some time.

pineappleunderthesea

Years ago when I first took off the full windscreen that came with my Honda Shadow and went on the interstate, I seriously thought I was going to die when I hit 70 mph--the wind on me seemed so fierce that I was death-gripping the bars and it felt like the steering wasn't responsive.

Of course, it was all in my head, the more I rode without the windscreen the more I became accustomed to it and learned to relax. It's one of the reasons I got the FZ when I sold the Shadow, I was used to the feel of a naked bike without any windscreen.

Years ago when I first took off the full windscreen that came with my Honda Shadow and went on the interstate, I seriously thought I was going to die when I hit 70 mph--the wind on me seemed so fierce that I was death-gripping the bars and it felt like the steering wasn't responsive. 
Of course, it was all in my head, the more I rode without the windscreen the more I became accustomed to it and learned to relax. It's one of the reasons I got the FZ when I sold the Shadow, I was used to the feel of a naked bike without any windscreen.
This is exactly how I felt about the FZ07 at first. I think it just takes time and becoming more comfortable with the fact that you could die :) 

Yep, you just need more seat time. Grip with your knees and remind yourself to relax. Try wearing earplugs too. Less wind noise will make you feel more at peace.

Yep, you just need more seat time. Grip with your knees and remind yourself to relax. Try wearing earplugs too. Less wind noise will make you feel more at peace. 

+1 for ear plugs, especially on the interstate.

If the wind is hitting you pretty good on the highway try leaning forward a little bit to counteract it.

2016 FZ07 - LOVING IT!!
2003 R6 - SOLD
2006 FZ6 - SOLD

[attachment id=2172" thumbnail="1]"Luke, you worry too much, the force is with you." 

Everything is alright, you'll get used to it.  ;)

Beemer

2 things,

1. Get out on an empty highway where you can do 70+. Take note of the stability of the bike. Now do the same in traffic. You'll notice a HUGE difference in the turbulence that the other vehicles cause in the air. That's likely why it feels like the bike is wobbling.
2. Look into getting one of the small windscreens for the bike. I'm not a huge fan of how it looks on my bike but it made a big difference in how much wind hits the body at speed. I can do 70mph sitting straight up all day with just a tiny little screen redirecting the air.

It's getting better the more I ride I easily do 75 80 on interstate and the bike feels planted.

It was my new rider syndrome. The first ride I was holding the bar Luke death grip. I was even scared to look back thinking my helnet would fly off.

Three weeks later I am a lot more comfortable.

Last night was not good on my fz07

I was coming back home on 84 around 9 pm and there was heavy wind. On 75 mph I was having trouble keeping the bike follow a straight line.

On number of occassions I reduced my speed to 55mph to follow a straight line.

My bike was all over the lane.

I think it's my newbie riding style. I am holding handle bars too tight.

I am going to check wheEl alugnment anyways to make sure it not the bike.

Then I am going to work on correcting my riding posture.

Any other thing I should check that would make the bike go all over place.

• Premium Member

Upgrade the suspension...after that the little fz-07 don't dance in the wind ?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

[attachment id=2231" thumbnail="1] <<< "Up yers Vader!!"

That dagum Luke Death Grip! I hate it! Makes everything all tingly and numb!

Beemer

Archived