The MT-07 Forum

Brake Line Question

mjh937

• Global Moderator

I am planning on switching to braided steel brake lines when I change the fluid. I see the option of either the original routing of the hoses or an alternate routing that does not go too one caliper and then over the fender to the other side. Which routing is the best and why (or does it matter)?

• Global Moderator
I am planning on switching to braided steel brake lines when I change the fluid. I see the option of either the original routing of the hoses or an alternate routing that does not go too one caliper and then over the fender to the other side. Which routing is the best and why (or does it matter)?
Alternate routing would be better from a fluidynamics standpoint
Direct flow to both calipers equally...
oem routing has the left caliper grabbing well before the right...
im not too sure about pressures though and how they affect the brakes as far as the lines go

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Well, unlike with a hydraulic clutch, there's not really much fluid flow in the brakes. Yer only moving enough fluid to take up a wee bit of space between the pads and rotors. It is all about pressure and perhaps maybe there's a differential between the 2 calipers (until the 1st set of pads make contact), but it can't amount to anything that any of us would feel..

Having 2 lines w/o that loop over the wheel will definitely be easier bleed. Unless you don't like the looks as you'll not have a nice factory tie-down for that one hose and you'll have more stuff to look at up at the master, being able to get all the air out is enough reason for me to go 2 separate lines.

• Global Moderator
Well, unlike with a hydraulic clutch, there's not really much fluid flow in the brakes. Yer only moving enough fluid to take up a wee bit of space between the pads and rotors. It is all about pressure and perhaps maybe there's a differential between the 2 calipers (until the 1st set of pads make contact), but it can't amount to anything that any of us would feel.. 
Having 2 lines w/o that loop over the wheel will definitely be easier bleed. Unless you don't like the looks as you'll not have a nice factory tie-down for that one hose and you'll have more stuff to look at up at the master, being able to get all the air out is enough reason for me to go 2 separate lines.
The spiegler kit comes with a set of clamps for the new lines

adb72f2354e96e84507f0ff12d0293e8.jpg

Just FYI, I just read somewhere on here that changing your brake lines won't "improve" your braking. What people who change their lines are seeing, is a result of removing air bubbles in the line people are finding from the factory. So long story short, like myself, maybe try and bleed the brakes first, see if that helps your braking? Just passing along some info I found. ☺

I'm one of those who've said this.

when my FZ was new, my 1st reaction to the brakes were that they were terrible - almost useless. After a couple hundred miles they were OK, but still felt soft and spongy. I couldn't feel any expansion in the hoses when I squoze hard on the lever, so there had to be air. After a good bleed while raining that right side caliper, the lever now feels as good if not better than my Aprilia's Brembos that does have braided lines. I changed those just cause it was time. The originals were old.

Would seem the same guy who adjusts the headlights at the factory (they all seem to point down) bleeds the brakes.

I'm one of those who've said this.  
when my FZ was new, my 1st reaction to the brakes were that they were terrible - almost useless. After a couple hundred miles they were OK, but still felt soft and spongy. I couldn't feel any expansion in the hoses when I squoze hard on the lever, so there had to be air. After a good bleed while raining that right side caliper, the lever now feels as good if not better than my Aprilia's Brembos that does have braided lines. I changed those just cause it was time. The originals were old.

Would seem the same guy who adjusts the headlights at the factory (they all seem to point down) bleeds the brakes.
Ha! I didn't even see your post above. My bad. Lol but yeah, ima bleed mine when ever I get around to it. Hopefully it works out for the better.

• Global Moderator

My brakes feel fine, I just figured as long as I am replacing the fluid why not spend more money on the bike (I really need to find her a name). @sorkyah, if you have the time can you post a photo showing how the lines look between the mounting points in your photo and the calipers please.

• Global Moderator
My brakes feel fine, I just figured as long as I am replacing the fluid why not spend more money on the bike (I really need to find her a name). @sorkyah, if you have the time can you post a photo showing how the lines look between the mounting points in your photo and the calipers please.
Your wish is my command... this one time.only :P

d5afbf083f1498bfc00ac89979f489ae.jpg
b1b8e7aa99eea12729ab4d13d0d0ce62.jpg
42386e870c43b5c5992e6c8a7a47f7bc.jpg

• Global Moderator

@sorkyah, thank you. that is exactly what I wanted to see. I think will go with that routing just for the ease of bleeding them.

Guest ChicagoAJ
@sorkyah , thank you. that is exactly what I wanted to see. I think will go with that routing just for the ease of bleeding them.
Post up the kit and where you buy it (when you do), kind sir (unless @sorkyah would be so kind). I'm going to be doing this next year some time as well. I don't have any problems with the brakes, but I'd like to go with a separate line to each caliper.  
I've been looking at this kit:

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/spiegler-yamaha-fz-07-15-16-front-brake-line-kit-orig/

bellissimoto
@sorkyah , thank you. that is exactly what I wanted to see. I think will go with that routing just for the ease of bleeding them.
Post up the kit and where you buy it (when you do), kind sir (unless @sorkyah would be so kind). I'm going to be doing this next year some time as well. I don't have any problems with the brakes, but I'd like to go with a separate line to each caliper.  

@chicagoaj, @sorkyah got his custom Spiegler Brake Line Kit from me :) 
- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

Guest ChicagoAJ

@chicagoaj , @sorkyah got his custom Spiegler Brake Line Kit from me :) 
- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

I'm an idiot. Does it come with new hardware and fluid for the install?

Guest ChicagoAJ
I believe it has the banjo bolts yes, but not fluid... 
:)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com
Any copper washers or do we just re-use stock items?

• Global Moderator

No fluid... banjo bolts and crush washers are included

Just make sure you read which end of the line goes where... they get marked at factory with stickers
@panchobullet learned this the.hard way

Guest ChicagoAJ
Just make sure you read which end of the line goes where... they get marked at factory with stickers
Awesome - if you don't mind saying, what did you pay for the kit(s) if you did front and rear? 

• Global Moderator

i dont remember... @bellissimoto just invoiced me with the ceramic bearing kit
But it was front and rear....

bellissimoto
Awesome - if you don't mind saying, what did you pay for the kit(s) if you did front and rear? 
Just PM'd you :) 
- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

Just keep in mind that dot4 brake fluid is really hard on paint and plastics. Cover everything that might be in harm's way with plastic - I use large garbage bags before they've been opened up. With a windscreen I'll open the bag and put it over the screen an instruments. And I will always have towels and a sponge and bucket of water at the ready as well just in case the motorcycle condoms aren't enough protection. .

Guest ChicagoAJ
Just keep in mind that dot4 brake fluid is really hard on paint and plastics. Cover everything that might be in harm's way with plastic - I use large garbage bags before they've been opened up. With a windscreen I'll open the bag and put it over the screen an instruments. And I will always have towels and a sponge and bucket of water at the ready as well just in case the motorcycle condoms aren't enough protection. .
With how easy it is to remove the plastics - I will be removing, at the very least, the right side plastic. But the moto-condom is a good idea. Should patent that!

• Global Moderator
With how easy it is to remove the plastics - I will be removing, at the very least, the right side plastic. But the moto-condom is a good idea. Should patent that!
Removing fenders and tank panels are a good idea... fenders gives you better access to bleeder screws... and tank panels in case of a spill

• Premium Member
panchobullet
The only good thing about learning the hard way is that you will never forget it! :-p 
- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

Just got my (white) HEL lines for the 07. Now just got to find time to instal them. They don't come with the separate clamps though like the Spiegler's. I will have to make some.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived