The MT-07 Forum

Motorcycle Fuel Bottle

enupe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty much found the way that I will be mounting my fuel bottle.
That is the cleanest I've seen. Is that mount completely custom or is it available for purchase anywhere?
Hey
.. Easy there.... Mine is way better. Haha jk

• Premium Member

@caliesv Lol...yours is good. But you took your passenger pegs off thus allowing you to mount your fuel bottle where you did. I can't mount mine there because my rear pegs are still there. Which I am sure that there are many others in my boat

@caliesv Lol...yours is good. But you took your passenger pegs off thus allowing you to mount your furl bottle where you did. I can't moumt mine there because my rear pegs are still there. Which I am sure that there are many others in my boat
You're right. I took my pegs off way before I got my gas bottle. I didn't even think about other people's pegs! That pic you posted looks like it will work for you ☺ keep us posted!

• Premium Member
Oooooohhh I like that too! Good job @enupe doing a lot of research for us! 
This might be the winner for me. I like the clamp mounting system. Two points of securement for easy removal when I'm doing a track day. That other one you posted is nice but I'd probably have to remove it completely every time due to the pointy edges. All I have to do with this one is unbolt two clamps pretty much. Now the question is will it fit on the frame? 

Fuel bottle on one side, Ktech Razor-R shock reservoir on the other.  8-)

I just ordered the... MotoTube & Fuel Kit; left; MotoTube, Optimus 1 liter fuel can, (1 fuel can only) stainless steel moto hardware; (2 pcs 5/8” p-clamps, 2 M6 x 20mm allen head bolts w/ nylock nuts and washers.)  
$36 (plus $12 shipping)... I'll let you guys know how it goes!

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

• Premium Member

@weazsel I am kind of leaning towards this as well. Easy two point mounting and a nice clean black look. Let us know because your further along on this project than I am. I've just been researching for when I get my bike back from the shop. @sorkyak I am all about practicality but I am also about the esthetic value on my bike. Although you can do a PVC pipe for half the cost, how clean will it look? A little money spent for the overall look of my bike is well worth it.

• Premium Member

Yup, will do @enupe! I'll post pics after I get it installed. Most likely will have it done middle of next week. For $48.50 this is peace of mind not only for me but my buddy too. He's going to be purchasing an Indian Scout Sixty soon. Thing has no gas gauge... B-|  I can give him a little sip just in case we get stuck.  8-)

Right now I'm focused on getting my bike back together when I get my forks back from pattonme tomorrow. Trying to make a track day this Saturday at NYST. Between my girlfriend's birthday, fork & shock installations, packing, installing airbags in my truck's rear suspension to stabilize my new hitch carrier AND the weather cooperating it's a long shot!

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

• Premium Member

Alas! Behold! A mototube!

Simple and effective it seems. I wadded the plastic bag the fuel bottle was wrapped with in the cap to prevent any movement. There's some room to store something little in there if you had to.

I'll post pictures of the install when it gets done.  :)

One thing I will mention is I read somewhere that the o-ring isn't the best on the fuel bottle cap. Something something replace it with a full synthetic o-ring when you can...

Simple and effective it seems. I wadded the plastic bag the fuel bottle was wrapped with in the cap to prevent any movement. There's some room to store something little in there if you had to.

One thing I will mention is I read somewhere that the o-ring isn't the best on the fuel bottle cap. Something something replace it with a full synthetic o-ring when you can...
Super glue some packing foam in place of the plastic bag in the top. Then depending on the angle of install, I'd drill drain holes if your worried about water getting in. I like that set up. Looking forward to seeing it put on!

• Global Moderator

Super glue some packing foam in place of the plastic bag in the top. Then depending on the angle of install, I'd drill drain holes if your worried about water getting in. I like that set up. Looking forward to seeing it put on!

its the oring on the bottle itself hes speaking of...
id read those reviews as well...

The drain holes arent a bad idea anyway... and the foam can be had for a couple bucks from an upholstery shop

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I've kept a 20oz MSR fuel bottle in my backpack for the last ten years. Never leaked or left a smell in my pack. It's saved my butt on several occasions. Comes in handy when the lawnmower and spare gas can is empty and I don't feel like making a special trip too. haha

Those fuel bottles don't hold up well with alcohol though so ALWAYS fill them with ethanol/methanol free gasoline. It'll slowly eat away and pit the inside of the container as well as trash the rubber o-ring/seal on the lid. AKA it'll eventually leak if you frequently store garbage alcohol mix gasoline in it. They're designed for Naptha/camp fuel/diesel multi fuel stoves and manufacturers always warn against alcohol storage with containers of this nature, no matter who makes em.

I've kept a 20oz MSR fuel bottle in my backpack for the last ten years. Never leaked or left a smell in my pack. It's saved my butt on several occasions. Comes in handy when the lawnmower and spare gas can is empty and I don't feel like making a special trip too. haha 
Those fuel bottles don't hold up well with alcohol though so ALWAYS fill them with ethanol/methanol free gasoline. It'll slowly eat away and pit the inside of the container as well as trash the rubber o-ring/seal on the lid. AKA it'll eventually leak if you frequently store garbage alcohol mix gasoline in it. They're designed for Naptha/camp fuel/diesel multi fuel stoves and manufacturers always warn against alcohol storage with containers of this nature, no matter who makes em.
You taking about the msr bottles?

All the small metal tanks/bottles. No matter the brand. I have MSR's, a Trangia, and even a cheapo Coleman fuel bottle. They all carry the same warning....NO ALCOHOL. 

All the small metal tanks/bottles. No matter the brand. I have MSR's, a Trangia, and even a cheapo Coleman fuel bottle. They all carry the same warning....NO ALCOHOL.
Pardon the dumb question, but where the hell do I get that kinds gas at??

Guest ChicagoAJ
A few stations by me have alcohol. 12.99 a gallon. 

I hope you mean Alcohol-Free! lol 
I pay about a dollar more a gallon than ethanol mixed 93 octane premium gas for ethanol free 91 octane (only grade I can find in ethanol free) where I live in Harrisburg, Pa. It's around $4/gal right now.

You can google search "ethanol free gasoline (insert your town here" and it should show the few stations that sell it. It's all I run in my small engine yard equipment and try to use it every time I fill up one of my bikes. 

You can google search "ethanol free gasoline (insert your town here" and it should show the few stations that sell it. It's all I run in my small engine yard equipment and try to use it every time I fill up one of my bikes.
Nothing anywhere close thats for sure. Is that the same stuff home depot sells for their Gas powered lawn equipment?

Guest ChicagoAJ
I hope you mean Alcohol-Free! lol 
I pay about a dollar more a gallon than ethanol mixed 93 octane premium gas for ethanol free 91 octane (only grade I can find in ethanol free) where I live in Harrisburg, Pa. It's around $4/gal right now.

No, I mean alcohol. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Alcohol

Yes but they add stabilizers while charging an arm and a leg for it. I bought a few 32oz bottles of it to fulfill a warranty requirement by Husquevarna chainsaw. Before that, I had never actually bought the stuff. Holy cow...my bunghole hurt when I got to the register.

To buy one for an emergency situation would be okay but definitely not economical to frequently purchase.

Nothing with a trace of alcohol should be used in any of these compact metal fuel bottles, regardless of brand. Top fuel is the last thing that you wanna carry in one. haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Did you ever get your tube mounted?

• Premium Member

Hey man unfortunately I lowsided last Saturday. This week I had to replace my rear sets, grips, bar ends, frame sliders, exhaust cap and still need to replace my brake reservoir/change fluid/bleed. That all took precedence as you could understand. Maybe next week.

Archived