The MT-07 Forum

BETTER SEAT OPTIONS

seega7

Hey gang. So I've read what I could find here related to Seat concepts and found the threads were mostly about shipping times, tracking info. and how to install. I'm very interested in the difference these seats have made on long distance rides. After about an hour and a half on the stocker  i'm hurting. For reference I am 5'7 175 . Any info. on time spent on this one or the Yamaha comfort seat option is appreciated. Thanks

• Global Moderator

I got the Seat Concepts seat back when we had the original group buy. I have been very happy with it. It is a lot more comfortable than the stock seat and the gripper material is great. I was originally sent a "carbon fiber" seat by mistake and found it too slippery for my liking. Seat Concepts was great about getting the correct seat to me. I also got red stitching to match my bike and think it looks really good.

I got the Seat Concepts seat back when we had the original group buy. I have been very happy with it. It is a lot more comfortable than the stock seat and the gripper material is great. I was originally sent a "carbon fiber" seat by mistake and found it too slippery for my liking. Seat Concepts was great about getting the correct seat to me. I also got red stitching to match my bike and think it looks really good.
Thanks for the info ! 

I've ridden the stock, Seat Concepts, and Corbin. Without a doubt, the Corbin is best - it's firm, but supportive and well-shaped. Over time, once it breaks in, I expect it to be even better. I didn't like the SC seat, as it has a sharper ridge near the front that digs into the back of my thighs. I looks well-made and it likely would be more comfortable than the stock, but with the sharp corner, it's the last choice for me - I'd rather have the stock over the SC.

My two cents.

I've ridden the stock, Seat Concepts, and Corbin. Without a doubt, the Corbin is best - it's firm, but supportive and well-shaped. Over time, once it breaks in, I expect it to be even better. I didn't like the SC seat, as it has a sharper ridge near the front that digs into the back of my thighs. I looks well-made and it likely would be more comfortable than the stock, but with the sharp corner, it's the last choice for me - I'd rather have the stock over the SC. My two cents.
I concur with the dislike for the sharper edge under the thigh on the SC seat, however, were I taller than 5'9" my thigh might be closer to horizontal in which case I might not notice this. Also because of this ridge it makes it a little harder for a short person to flat foot it at a stop. The SC looks well made but can't say that I've noticed it being any more comfortable than stock. I have the carbon fiber top and I don't find it to slippery at all, the slightly concave butt pocket would fit me better if I was a bit taller and sat back maybe 1/2", subtle but due to handle bar position, pegs etc. I don't feel I'm quite back in the pocket, this is only noticeable after relaxing into the ride after an hour or so. I wouldn't mind trying the Yamaha comfort seat..hope this helps. 

• Global Moderator

I am 6'1", so perhaps the Seat Concepts is a better fit for me. I have no problems with my thigh or flat footing it.

I've ridden the stock, Seat Concepts, and Corbin. Without a doubt, the Corbin is best - it's firm, but supportive and well-shaped. Over time, once it breaks in, I expect it to be even better. I didn't like the SC seat, as it has a sharper ridge near the front that digs into the back of my thighs. I looks well-made and it likely would be more comfortable than the stock, but with the sharp corner, it's the last choice for me - I'd rather have the stock over the SC. My two cents.
I concur with the dislike for the sharper edge under the thigh on the SC seat, however, were I taller than 5'9" my thigh might be closer to horizontal in which case I might not notice this. Also because of this ridge it makes it a little harder for a short person to flat foot it at a stop. The SC looks well made but can't say that I've noticed it being any more comfortable than stock. I have the carbon fiber top and I don't find it to slippery at all, the slightly concave butt pocket would fit me better if I was a bit taller and sat back maybe 1/2", subtle but due to handle bar position, pegs etc. I don't feel I'm quite back in the pocket, this is only noticeable after relaxing into the ride after an hour or so. I wouldn't mind trying the Yamaha comfort seat..hope this helps.
That does help, thanks ! I'm leaning towards the Yamaha comfort seat. Just wish I could find more people with experience on it.  

I've ridden the stock, Seat Concepts, and Corbin. Without a doubt, the Corbin is best - it's firm, but supportive and well-shaped. Over time, once it breaks in, I expect it to be even better. I didn't like the SC seat, as it has a sharper ridge near the front that digs into the back of my thighs. I looks well-made and it likely would be more comfortable than the stock, but with the sharp corner, it's the last choice for me - I'd rather have the stock over the SC. 
My two cents.
That's valuable info, thanks 

I just got back from a 250km ride. I hate the stock seat ( A LOT!). First time on a ride over 50km where I didn't have to keep standing up after 50 or so k's as I do with the stocker. The Seat Concepts is as good as every other Seat Concepts seat I have had on any other bike. That is, I suits me completely.
I don't notice the ridge at all. I like the amount of grip/slideability of the carbon cover.
This is the 4th seat concepts pad/cover I have liked ( Suzuki DRZ400SM ( distance tourer modified), BMW F800R, Husky tr650 Strada (distance tourer) and now this one).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

pineappleunderthesea

I had the Yamaha Comfort seat for a while, but I think the comfort of that seat may depend on how much you weigh; I'm about 150 lbs, and the comfort seat was definitely harder than the stock for me. When I sit on the stock seat, it squishes down a bit and somewhat spreads out the contact points, while the Comfort seat barely squishes down and dug into my butt bones, and I was always trying to readjust myself after 20-30 minutes. Unfortunately it never broke in for me. On the plus side, the comfort seat did alleviate the 'crotch' discomfort that the stock seat so gallantly offers to the male population.

I thought I read somewhere that the comfort seat was made of different foam densities, so it's possible that someone that weighs more than me would actually squish the seat in more into the different foam densities, and spread out the contact points. But that didn't happen for me, so I sold it.

I also had the Seat Concept seat for a month or so, it was indeed more comfy than the stock in terms of how it supports you, really spreads out the contact points. Although if you have a bony butt, you might feel some mild discomfort on those butt bones because to make that seat they scooped out some foam, so it's a little harder. I didn't have issue with the thigh thing that people mention. But I sold it since I wanted a 2-up seat with a back support, and it seems only Corbin does that--and of course I haven't bought it yet, I'm still riding the stock seat!

I've come to the conclusion that I need a beefier butt. How much are butt implants?

• Premium Member

I had Yamaha comfort seat for a year on stock suspension and it was better than stock seat comfort...then had upgraded suspension and didn't mind 3-5 hr rides..I weight [HASH]185 geared up..now just about 2 weeks ago I just got the seat concepts seat and fell in love with it...I now consider the Yamaha comfort seat a " comfy race track seat" ... Cruzin the owner of the forum recommends ppl go to a actual local pedal bike store and get them padded bike shorts...not the ones from the Dumhams sports for example or Big5 etc...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

I've come to the conclusion that I need a beefier butt. How much are butt implants?

Not worth it...
They always end up lopsided

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 2 weeks later...

Went on the first ride with the Yamaha comfort seat yesterday. It is definitely firmer than the stocker. I like the cover material and it looks really nice. Still got pretty uncomfortable for me after about an hour or so. There are two places "pressure points" where it feels like I'm sitting on a board after an hour of riding. I'm hoping it will get more tolerable after break in, but at this point it's no better than the original. May be selling it and looking for another option.

I am not happy with the stock seat either. Was going to buy comfort seat but didn't have any faith that it will he any better.

I contacted a local upholstery place near me. He quoted 220 to upgrade stick seat with gel and foam.

I am considering this route.

So far the seat and dancing in wind is my biggest complain about this bike.

And probably the reason why I will sell it quicker too

This year's season is almost over. Next year I will be demoing new ones for replacement.

The Seat Concepts seat gave me a bit longer comfort than the stock torture rack, but I also had pressure on the backs of my legs due to the shape of the dished out area in the meat of the seat. I've added more than a 1/4" of very firm foam and another 1/4 to 1" of a dense upholstery foam to make that area more convex than concave. It'll never be as good as the saddle on my Futura (nothin is imo.), but it's pretty good.

I sorta get the feeling that bigger guys love the Seat Concept design. Those of us, erm, less tall, have our legs at a more downward angle and wind up with pressure on the backs of our legs. After a couple of hours, that can get pretty painful.

• Premium Member

I have the Yamaha Comfort-Seat and rode solid 4 hours and it was perfectly fine for my behind. (5'8" 165lbs, w/o gear)
Its a tough call as everyone's got their own shape/distribution.

IMO the Corbin wasnt "sportbike", I didnt like the hideous cruiser styling at all.
Forum member 'rowdy' picked up a custom seat by Laam ... http://fz07.org/thread/5826/laam-custom-motorcycle-seats  ...looks and sounds pretty swanky, and reasonably priced.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
I am not happy with the stock seat either. Was going to buy comfort seat but didn't have any faith that it will he any better. 
I contacted a local upholstery place near me. He quoted 220 to upgrade stick seat with gel and foam.

I am considering this route.

So far the seat and dancing in wind is my biggest complain about this bike.

And probably the reason why I will sell it quicker too

This year's season is almost over. Next year I will be demoing new ones for replacement.

The wind dancing goes away with suspension upgrade...night and day difference...using a windscreen on stock suspension only adds to the wind dancing in my opinion

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived