The MT-07 Forum

Question about swapping wheels

ssdawood

If I decided to swap wheels on my 2016 raven from black to high visibility yellow
do I need to buy only the wheels and the other parts I can use from my black ones.

Or do I need to buy sprocket etc all new too.

I really like those yellow wheels and wanted to see how it will look on my raven..

Does anyone has pics of this mod.

• Global Moderator
If I decided to swap wheels on my 2016 raven from black to high visibility yellow do I need to buy only the wheels and the other parts I can use from my black ones.

Or do I need to buy sprocket etc all new too.

I really like those yellow wheels and wanted to see how it will look on my raven..

Does anyone has pics of this mod.
You will need new bearings and seals

Your sprocket you should be able to swap over from your stock wheel with no issues

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Cool idea. Those yellow wheels do look awesome. I'd be interested to see how they look on a white FZ-07. Did you do extensive research yet? Do you have part numbers and pricing you can share?

Edit: Can anyone photo shop yellow wheels onto a white and black bike for us?

Edit: Not sure what the code is for the correct bike but on Yamaha Partshouse a rear wheel is $278.48 and a front wheel is $227.27... plus approximately $75 in bearings and seals... looking at a $600 plus. Anyone have a better way?

Probably cheaper to powdercoat our original ones... BUT what if I buy these for street riding and use the black ones for track tires hmmmmmmm...  :D 8-)

Edit: Found front and rear bearing kits from All Balls for $44.50 for both. Front size: 25-1659 / Rear size: 25-1703

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

Fearedbynone

i have looked into this as well. i had my bike painted blue, and i want the yellow wheels. its cheaper to have your stock wheels powder coated from what i have seen. this is what i am doing, 100 per wheel plus bearings.

Dave

• Global Moderator

I like the look of the neon wheels, I just do not want to have to spend the time needed to keep them clean. Black wheels hide a multitude of road grime.

Go ahead and get estimates to repair both wheels (don't do it yourself please), but if you have to ship somewhere, by the time you get boxes and whatever together, with shipping and insurance costs, you might just be better off buying new. Both wheels for this bike cost less than just the back wheel to my Aprilia. http://www.yamahapart.com/oemparts/a/yam/53a99b08f8700220a4415847/rear-wheel http://www.yamahapart.com/oemparts/a/yam/53a99b07f8700220a4415845/front-wheel

Guest ChicagoAJ
I like the look of the neon wheels, I just do not want to have to spend the time needed to keep them clean. Black wheels hide a multitude of road grime.
Preach!  

If anyone wants blue wheels, I'll trade you for black! We can swap plastics too (Raven only). 

(I'm kind of joking about the wheel, but I'd definitely trade my silver plastics for black)

• Global Moderator

Cool idea. Those yellow wheels do look awesome. I'd be interested to see how they look on a white FZ-07. Did you do extensive research yet? Do you have part numbers and pricing you can share? 
Edit: Can anyone photo shop yellow wheels onto a white and black bike for us?

Edit: Not sure what the code is for the correct bike but on Yamaha Partshouse a rear wheel is $278.48 and a front wheel is $227.27... plus approximately $75 in bearings and seals... looking at a $600 plus. Anyone have a better way?

Probably cheaper to powdercoat our original ones... BUT what if I buy these for street riding and use the black ones for track tires hmmmmmmm...  :D 8-)

Edit: Found front and rear bearing kits from All Balls for $44.50 for both. Front size: 25-1659 / Rear size: 25-1703

Allballs sells stock bearing replacement kits for 50 bucks
includes all 5 wheel bearings

.... didnt see the last edit. Sorry

They also have swingarm and steering head bearings

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I was able to see all wheels next to each other.
The color and finish on high vis yellow and black was excellent.

But for some reason the color and finish on blurple was not upto the par.

i have looked into this as well. i had my bike painted blue, and i want the yellow wheels. its cheaper to have your stock wheels powder coated from what i have seen. this is what i am doing, 100 per wheel plus bearings. 
Dave

How long does that powder coating stay for. I am going to wait till your done to see pics.

Fearedbynone

mine was pushed back until i can find someone in my area. the people i contacted here do not do any prep work. for 100 per wheel that is high. guys in other states do them for 80ish per wheel including the prep. powder coating is like paint but it is ceramic? based.it is baked on. it should last the life of the bike as long as you care for it properly. oh, make sure they add the UV protector or they will turn chalky looking.

Dave

Guest ChicagoAJ
Dave
How long does that powder coating stay for. I am going to wait till your done to see pics.
All the places around me that do powder coating offer a lifetime warranty (excluding damage). So if it ever starts to chip or come off they'll redo it for free. But if there's any rash on your wheels or a noticeable dent they'll deny the powder coat was at fault and blame the damage. 

Archived