The MT-07 Forum

Want to buy FZ-07 2016, wait for FZ-07 2017?

chivaz

Hi all,

I want and most likely will get myself a FZ-07 this year. But 1. I'm completely against buying new. 2. I have no problems waiting for the release of the 2017 model to then buy the 2016 model for cheaper.

If...

How much do you think the price of the 2016 model will drop (new), and for how much a used 2016 would go?

Unfortunately I have no clue about market values.... so any help, hints and advise appreciated!

Thanks!

• Premium Member

I'd suggest looking at price drops between the 15-16's...one can always "wait" for next year's, or the next, or the next. Go buy one.

Personally I would never buy a new car but a new bike is whole other story. I knew I wouldnt save that much buying used and call me picky but I wanted it to be spotless and also sure it was broken in how I wanted it to be broken in. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator
I'd suggest looking at price drops between the 15-16's...
Thought FZ-07 was introduced just in 2016?
2013 in europe as the 2014 MT07
the 15s came out around the middle of 14 in fhe states
you can still find 15s brand new in some deaalerships

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Only changes is the color of bike plastics and frame...it's less than probably $200 to swap all the colored plastics to the ones you want...they still got older brand new 0 mile bikes for $1k-1.5k cheaper than a current year...the same 6999 price hasn't gone up since 2014 release date..

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I paid 6500 plus 500 in taxes for new fz07. 2016

For used ones I was looking at 5300 for one with 3k miles.
There was another that was 1300 miles but asking 6k.

So buying used meant that I would save between 500 to 1200 dollars only.

Because I would still pay taxes and registration on used bike.

Didn't make sense at all to buy used to save 1200 or 500 dollars.

Those could be the hardest miles put on that bike.

By buying new I am assured that the bike is taken care off if I decide to keep it long term.

If I decide to sell I would loose between 500 to 1200 dollars. That's an OK price for me to drive a fz07 for a season.

Make sure there is the excess stock at dealers in your area to make your strategy work. I've heard that dealers are buying fewer in order to reduce their losses selling at a discount just to reduce their inventory.

Thanks guys. Already helped a lot.
I will probably go for a new one, but since I'm not in a hurry I will wait until next years model is out. Because why not save maybe $500-$1000 on a new bike for waiting just a bit longer :).

Cheers!

I doubt you'll save that much on 2016 vs. 2017. You will, however save probably $2000 buying used from a private seller, if only because nobody will know how badly it was abused before you saw it.

pineappleunderthesea

You're assuming that the dealers will order 2017 models while they have 2016's sitting on the showroom floor...maybe that's what car dealers do, but when I bought my FZ, I believe they had two 2015's and one 2016 on the floor, all priced the same. I guess it's more about negotiation and willing to walk out the door than expecting them to drop the price dramatically.

You can tell I'm not very familiar with buying motorcycles :). I just have a problem with paying the stupid, excuse my french, destination charge, documentation fees etc... (is that even a thing with motorcycles?)

The FZ-07 goes for roughly $7000 at my local stores (Canada). Which is the max I can afford. But adding all the additional "new bike" fees..

That's why I am really hoping that once the 2017 model is out, I can find a deal on a new 2016 that is max $7000 out the door.

pineappleunderthesea
You can tell I'm not very familiar with buying motorcycles :). I just have a problem with paying the stupid, excuse my french, destination charge, documentation fees etc... (is that even a thing with motorcycles?) 
The FZ-07 goes for roughly $7000 at my local stores (Canada). Which is the max I can afford. But adding all the additional "new bike" fees..

That's why I am really hoping that once the 2017 model is out, I can find a deal on a new 2016 that is max $7000 out the door.
Yeah, those fees are a pain.  When I bought mine I basically told the guy what I wanted to pay all in, and to make the math worked.  It worked out, but I was also trading a bike in.  I would also ask your local dealer if you get some deals in terms of maintenance etc if you buy it from them, it seems some dealers give discounts on parts etc if you buy the bike there.

bmwpowere36m3

Depending on tax/reg/license fees... you'll be very lucky to get $7000 OTD on ANY FZ-07. Maybe in states without sales taxes.  FZ-07 is a pretty hot selling bike... I've seen 2015/2016 being sold for the same.

berettatrio

Everywhere I looked in northern California the 2015 with 0 miles sold the same as a 2016 just different colors. The only time the price changed was when it has around 1000 miles.

• Global Moderator

head out of state... youve gotta pay tax but you can usually find decent deals

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

That's what I did. Went to Rhode Island got the bike for 6500. Then bought it back to NY paid 633 for taxes and registration.

OTD. 7133

In NY I talked to three dealers all wanted full 6999 MSRP plus 500 setup, document etc.

So the bIke would have cost me 8133.

Wheels of freedom , Pawtucket, Rhode Island. It was a three hour drive but we'll worth it.

They had all three colors in stock.

• 6 months later...
I paid 6500 plus 500 in taxes for new fz07. 2016 
For used ones I was looking at 5300 for one with 3k miles.
There was another that was 1300 miles but asking 6k.

So buying used meant that I would save between 500 to 1200 dollars only.

Because I would still pay taxes and registration on used bike.

Didn't make sense at all to buy used to save 1200 or 500 dollars.

Those could be the hardest miles put on that bike.

i agree with this 100%

Archived