The MT-07 Forum

Shell Rotella T6

othgbronco82

othgbronco82

It's time for an oil change and the semi-synthetic stuff from yamalube is $34 a gallon and the Shell rotella T6 full synthetic is like $20 a gallon. I called Shell technical customer service directly and he said it would work just fine. I know the AMA Pro Motocross Mechanics use it a lot. I was just wondering what the general consensus is on here about it. It's API rated at SM, SL, and SH and has a JASO MA rating too. Minimum for the manual is SG and JASO MA.

Linky to the PDF:

Rotella T6

It's fine, use it. I break in race engines with it, then it's up to the owner if they want to keep using it or step up to 300V or Pro 4. I think those are a little better but it's not night and day.

J.D. Hord

What weight you going with?

I've got 15-40 t Rotella in mine now with a Wallyworld ST filter.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member
It's fine, use it. I break in race engines with it, then it's up to the owner if they want to keep using it or step up to 300V or Pro 4. I think those are a little better but it's not night and day.
It will work pretty good, but just keep in mind places like BlackStone Labs have proven that the shear strength isn't as good as some of the other high end oils...so it would probably have to be replaced more frequently. 
- Paulie

othgbronco82
What weight you going with? 
I've got 15-40 t Rotella in mine now with a Wallyworld ST filter.
15-40 for now. Once it gets closer to winter I'll switch over to 5-40 just in case I do decide to go somewhere cold.

othgbronco82
It will work pretty good, but just keep in mind places like BlackStone Labs have proven that the shear strength isn't as good as some of the other high end oils...so it would probably have to be replaced more frequently. 
- Paulie
I'm not racing so it should be fine. It has to at least be pretty close to the Yamalube stuff that's an extra $15 a gallon.

bmwpowere36m3

Meh, I'd rather use Rotella TTT (15W-40) in a motorcycle with a shared sump... synthetics are kind of over-rated. They have their pluses in certain applications, but for the majority it won't be realized.

I use rottella t6 in my Fz07, used it in my gs500f for 40k miles with no issues. I also change my oil every 5k miles, longer then the US intervals(3k) but still shorter than the EU intervals(6k).

othgbronco82
Meh, I'd rather use Rotella TTT (15W-40) in a motorcycle with a shared sump... synthetics are kind of over-rated. They have their pluses in certain applications, but for the majority it won't be realized.
Eh, it's still cheaper than the Yamalube stuff. Plus, it does it's job so I'm happy either way. For an extra $5 I can get three oil changes out of the Rotella T6 to the one and a half from yamalube. $40 for 2 gallons compared to $35 for one gallon. That's a win in my book.

bmwpowere36m3
Eh, it's still cheaper than the Yamalube stuff. Plus, it does it's job so I'm happy either way. For an extra $5 I can get three oil changes out of the Rotella T6 to the one and a half from yamalube. $40 for 2 gallons compared to $35 for one gallon. That's a win in my book.
Why ask the question if you know how "well" it works...  Rotella TTT can be had for $12-13/gal at Walmart if cost is that important.  Whereas T6 is $20-24/gal and doesn't last as long as TTT in my experience. 

I have used rotella T6 5-40 in all my bikes. Besides the fz07 it was high revving supersports. Also use it in my 900 horse power supra. It's proven for me

othgbronco82
Why ask the question if you know how "well" it works...  Rotella TTT can be had for $12-13/gal at Walmart if cost is that important.  Whereas T6 is $20-24/gal and doesn't last as long as TTT in my experience.
I just wasn't sure how well it would play with the FZ-07 clutch considering this is my first motorcycle that I bought and am making payments on. Plus it's also my first street bike so I'm going full paranoid right now. Kinda just double checking before I went ahead and did it. I knew it worked for motocross bikes but didn't know if it would be the same with a street bike. I would assume yes, but my assumptions have had bad endings before. The bike does shift way better now. 

Archived