The MT-07 Forum

Bohn Bodyguard CoolAir Armored Pants

Beemer

I just received some Bohn under armor yesterday and wore them under regular jeans. Although they are made with a mesh material, 82% nylon and 18% spandex, the armor itself makes the legs heat up and sweat some but not much more than jeans alone so it's no big deal.
The fit is good and the armor seems to stay in place well enough while walking/sitting on the bike. I imagine that in a crash they would stay in place better than other armored products would since they fit more snug. I think that coupled with a pair of mesh pants that offer some abrasion resistance the combo might be about the best thing a person could use in hot weather.
https://www.amazon.com/Bohn-Bodyguard-CoolAir-Armored-Pants/dp/B001T5EURY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470323338&sr=8-1&keywords=bohn+body+armor

Update: 5/06/17 - After using the pants more I've found that they can and do sag sometimes when walking around and I've found myself pulling them up to fit right when I sit on the bike. I've also found that if it's already close to hitting 100 degrees outside nylon undergarment is not your friend. they don't help to keep you cool, they make your legs feel warmer. I'm trying to think of a way a seamstress can alter these and cut out most of the unnecessary, huggy and hot nylon.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Cool! Thanks for sharing this option.

Have any photos of you in them for reference? Do you need to purchase pants a size up to make room for them? I'm not one to sport super baggy pants, so that's the only thing that would deter me from this option.

If anyone is looking for a size chart... you have to click on "SIZE GUIDE" on the website.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
Cool! Thanks for sharing this option.  
Have any photos of you in them for reference? Do you need to purchase pants a size up to make room for them? I'm not one to sport super baggy pants, so that's the only thing that would deter me from this option.

If anyone is looking for a size chart... you have to click on "SIZE GUIDE" on the website.

They fit like nylons -- with armor in them.  So if you wish to wear them under already snugly fitting jeans, it ain't happening.

• 2 weeks later...

motomeek

I wore mine under 'loose' fitting jeans without any problems. They are a combination of heavy nylon and spandex so they stretch a bit. I used the size chart and mine fit pretty good. No pics of me wearing nylon hose, ever.  ;)

Beemer

• 1 month later...
suspiciouspackage

I've had mine for over a year already and things I've noticed/experienced are:

The tailbone armor likes to rotate in its pocket so even if I put it on straight upright, it'll rotate around 30-45º by the time I'm done riding.

The bottom "pockets" that contain the knee/shin armor don't do that great of a job if you walk around in them. The armor doesn't fall out but if I get back on my bike after walking, I notice that the knee part is sagging so I have to adjust it.

Good thing is that there are zippers on the legs so readjusting them is as easy as pulling the pant leg up, unzipping and seating them in the pocket again.

Personally, I probably wouldn't get it again because it means having to get pants that look a little stupid on me (I'm a skinny guy, 5'10 140lbs). Skinny guy wearing straight leg jeans almost makes me look like a 2004 gangster wannabe. But the ability to wear any pair of pants you have (that fit while wearing the armored pants) is great. I'd recommend it to others who want to ride in any condition but doesn't wanna buy multiple pairs of armored pants just to make it happen. And if overpants just aren't an option either.

• 6 months later...
I've had mine for over a year already and things I've noticed/experienced are: 
The tailbone armor likes to rotate in its pocket so even if I put it on straight upright, it'll rotate around 30-45º by the time I'm done riding.

The bottom "pockets" that contain the knee/shin armor don't do that great of a job if you walk around in them. The armor doesn't fall out but if I get back on my bike after walking, I notice that the knee part is sagging so I have to adjust it.

Good thing is that there are zippers on the legs so readjusting them is as easy as pulling the pant leg up, unzipping and seating them in the pocket again.

Personally, I probably wouldn't get it again because it means having to get pants that look a little stupid on me (I'm a skinny guy, 5'10 140lbs). Skinny guy wearing straight leg jeans almost makes me look like a 2004 gangster wannabe. But the ability to wear any pair of pants you have (that fit while wearing the armored pants) is great. I'd recommend it to others who want to ride in any condition but doesn't wanna buy multiple pairs of armored pants just to make it happen. And if overpants just aren't an option either.
After using mine I've noticed the same things, found myself reaching around and adjusting the tail bone armor and a little bothersome to feel it pressing into me while riding. I'm thinking of having mine altered and take some of the stretch nylon out where it isn't needed to keep me a little cooler. Nylon hose is actually better at keeping you warm in the winter than it is cool in the summer. These and a pair of Kevlar jeans would make a great combination so long as you didn't get too hot in them. here in Florida it can get sweltering hot & muggy before putting any jeans on so adding a layer of heat retentive nylon to the mix just makes the heat feel worse, not better. I really wish Bohn armor used a stretchy nylon fish net (x-tra sexy, ha!) type webbing that had bigger holes in it so that the nylon didn't retain heat and let your legs breath better. I hope some big cat with influence from Bohn Armor reads this. Almost forgot, the nylon can be a little rough on parts of the skin/body, depending. I've noticed the nylon (Bohn Air mesh shirt) can move around a little on the chest and it makes my poor nipples soar. :'(   (rofl)  

Beemer

I wear these under padded kevlar jeans or ventilated pants, also with their own pads. https://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-comp-pro-shorts

Pretty comfy overall - kinda like wearing bicycle shorts but with pads in different places (and no maxi-pad, lol) Only place I notice them being hot is under the thigh pads.

If/when they wear out, I'll buy again.

• 2 months later...

I went with the Dainese armoured under shorts and they breathe great and fit comfy. Be sure to get at least a size up from what you normally wear though

Archived