The MT-07 Forum

Why does the FZ10... sound like that?

SkH

I know its the R1 engine.  I don't like the way the R1 sounds.  To be fair, the FZ10 does sound better than the R1... but still... it sounds like... a parallel twin?  Why does an inline four end up sounding like that?

I'm a fan of the inline four sound.  I even love the way a triple sounds.  I love how the FZ09 sounds with an aftermarket.  Most likely the only reason I would even consider buying an FZ09.  The FZ10 on the other hand sounds similar to the FZ07.  I know some people would definitely love that about the FZ10.  But to me I think that's a strange deal-breaker.

What are your thoughts on the way it sounds without the collector and cat.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

That absolutely doesn't sound like an FZ07 at all. That is surely the R1 crossplane 4 cylinder. I love that sound because it sounds like a V4.

I think the R1, and consequently the FZ-10, both sound like a small block V8 more-so than the FZ-07... To answer your question on why it sounds like that, it all comes down to firing order of the cylinders. It is an interesting read to hear different firing orders of the same engine configurations to see which benefits and disadvantages each have.

AlbatrossCafe

Ugh... I can't watch these videos, especially the takeoff at 0:35. So tempting. I LOVE the sound. But the reason I bought the 07 over an R1 was because I would be in jail/dead within several months with that kind of power (152mph top speed?). And I really don't need to spend extra money.

And FYI, the large majority of V8's have used a crossplane design for a while, which is why they sound is similar.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Ugh... I can't watch these videos, especially the takeoff at 0:35. So tempting. I LOVE the sound. But the reason I bought the 07 over an R1 was because I would be in jail/dead within several months with that kind of power (152mph top speed?). And I really don't need to spend extra money. 

And FYI, the large majority of V8's have used a crossplane design for a while, which is why they sound is similar.
152mph isn't really that impressive when @panchobullet has done just a touch under 130mph on his FZ07.  
I can see why @SkH thinks it sounds like an 07, it has the same rumble. But wind it up and it doesn't sound like one at all. 

Come ask on our new forum, the FZ-10 Forums at https://fz10.org/

I have never bought a bike for how it sounds, but more for how it rides and performs and the FZ-10 performs so well but is also so comfortable!

Plus, most will install an aftermarket exhaust anyways.

• Premium Member
panchobullet

152mph isn't really that impressive when @panchobullet has done just a touch under 130mph on his FZ07.  
I can see why @skh thinks it sounds like an 07, it has the same rumble. But wind it up and it doesn't sound like one at all. 
Hehehehe... Well, I took Dark-Y to 134mph and did a test drive of FZ-10 couple of weeks ago and pulled 153mph. Haven't been able to edit the video but did a got 40 mins test drive :-P... Awesome bike but love Dark-Y and I don't plan breaking up with her... 

[attachment id=2066" thumbnail="1]

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

Well yeah, it obviously isn't exactly like an fz07, but as @chicagoaj says, it has that sort of "rumble". Regular inline 4s have a scream, not a rumble. But alas, yes @albatrosscafe , after @fz07fanboy mentioned the crossplane, I promptly googled it and read that v8's generally are configured that way and then I realized it is the crossplane configuration that is giving it that sound.

Heh, I was actually contemplating selling 2 of my bikes and getting the FZ10 but I don't think I can ride another bike with that type of muscular rumble anymore. I can't take that sound anymore when I ride.  And no, stock exhaust sound is worse than the rumble.

Nice one @admin , I hope that board will have an awesome community like this one. I just hope I don't see "first time rider, new bike!" topics there! Haha.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

bmwpowere36m3

Sounds like a FZ-07? Better have your hearing checked ;)

No, but seriously... it sounds like a newer R1 with a cross-plane engine. Very Ducati-esq! It doesn't sound like a typical in-line four due to the crankshaft arrangement/firing order. It sounds deep and throaty like a V-8, which has a similar crankshaft arrangement.

• Premium Member

We need a " flat crank" 180° fire order = unearthly wail that sends shivers down your spine... 

Ignore this post...I was not thinking correctly and still don't know why I said it now that I think about it ..thank you Thomas for reminding me... 

On the flat crank topic...have you heard the new GT350 5.2L 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

thomascrown
We need a " flat crank" 180° fire order = unearthly wail that sends shivers down your spine..m
99 percent of inline 4s have a flat crank. Most p-twins do as well, like all the 300cc bikes, Ninja 650, vintage Triumphs, etc.

We need a " flat crank" 180° fire order = unearthly wail that sends shivers down your spine...  
Ignore this post...I was not thinking correctly and still don't know why I said it now that I think about it ..thank you Thomas for reminding me... 

Some retired guy passed me in one awhile back when I was sitting at a light in Ruskin, it sounded effing amazing in person! Here's a vid of one for the people that haven't heard one. 

[video src=https://youtu.be/UOm8S_rE7rY]  Now I have to watch Bullitt ...

Beemer

• Global Moderator

Some retired guy passed me in one awhile back when I was sitting at a light in Ruskin, it sounded effing amazing in person! Here's a vid of one for the people that haven't heard one. 

[video src=https://youtu.be/UOm8S_rE7rY]  Now I have to watch Bullitt ...
That nearly sounds like the new jag Xf
wonderful noise... nice to look at... ford quality....

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived