The MT-07 Forum

Tie down points and straps.

5tonfan

I just did a trial run on loading the bike onto a hitch mounted carrier and noticed that I didn't see any easy tie down points using regular ratchet straps for the front end. It would appear to tight between the upper and lower shock mounts the the headlight. So here are my questions.
1. Where do you run the straps for the front end? (Pictures help)
2. Does anyone use any special straps like canyon dancer/cycle cynch/ other maker?
3. I tend to be a bit of a gorilla when it comes to tightening things down. How much should I compress the front end when strapping it down, half way/more/less? 
I appreciate any help or hints, have strapped down 4 wheeler in a truck bed before but that was a "ratchet till it doesn't move". Would rather not see my bike fall off the carrier. 

• Premium Member

I've used a canyon dancer on my old bike. It messed up the grips. I would suggest soft straps with your ratchet straps, 4 total. 2 in front between the fork and lower triple and the other two by the passenger pegs.

- Andy

This is how I brought mine home not long ago. I have straps that are soft around the bars. Link to straps below photo.

IMG_20160622_120243_zps1njoyupu.jpg

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000H6QWWC

I keep posting an amazon link but this site changes it to a home depot link....  banghead.gif Needless to say, search amazon if you prefer to buy there.

Be careful to not compress the front end. I maybe compressed min 3/4" tops when looking at the seal slide up the forks. Made the 2 hour drive home quite safe.

Good Luck!!

Thank you for the help and pictures have two soft straps will get more. I originally didn't see where I could get them on the forks but was able to with the soft straps. Will have to try to strap it down later. Was also worried that it would be to much force on the passenger pegs but in the picture it looks good to go.

bmwpowere36m3

I use a front wheel chock (harbor freight, bolted down) and only tie-down the front-end. Soft straps thru the handlebars, near the handlebar clamps (on the outside) and a tie-down strap from each soft strap to the trailer/bed. Adjust soft strap or tie-down point so nothing rubs. Trailer/bed tie-down points as far forward and to the side as possible/reasonable.

Bike is super secure, trailered 1000+ miles.

bmwpowere36m3

I compress the front-end maybe two inches or so... enough so the bike doesn't rock excessively. The forks have ~5 inches of travel... don't go gorilla and bottom them out.

• Premium Member
20160629_192227_HDR.jpghow to do a screenshot on a pc

Zoom in on this where I put my soft straps. It's the best place to put them. I just finished towing both bikes on this trailer from California to San Antonio, TX. Over 1400 miles and everything was perfect. No issues and some of the roads I was on were bumpy but after awhile I was more at ease. The wheel chocks I use lock the front wheel in place and hold the bike up so I don't need two people to secure it and I can do it all on my own. I do compress the from suspension about 2 to 2.5 inches. It won't hurt it. No different than some lard @$$ hoping on the bike and riding it. No offense. Click on picture and use the follow link and then select picture to get full uncompressed pic. It's a big picture.

Will have to remember I do not have to compress the forks too much. Like I said I can be heavy handed at times, don't feel like replacing seals till I have the money for new fork internals.

• 2 weeks later...

Compressing the forks will NOT wear the seals. The oil itself is not under pressure in the sense that it is pushing against the forks. The fork seals just keep dirt from inside and oil from sloshing out. The only pressure the oil is under is when it is spraying from one chamber to the other. However after equilibrium is reached there is again, no pressure.

You most definitely want to compress the forks. At bare minimum 2 inches. If you don't, when you hit a hard numb, the forks will do their blog, compress, lower the front due to the bump and the lower pull from the straps. This in turn will cause slack in the straps and cause them to pop off. Ask me how I know. I got lucky because only one pipped off and the wheel was in a chock.

EDIT: here are my tie down points:
2f8b30f3d8640f1a05a96a373c288f08.jpg
3b8a7660c83747fab92fcc36ab2634a7.jpg
cc2c2ae664e57d5beaafa01a1292eb2f.jpg

• Premium Member

I use Canyon Dancer's every time I transport any of the bikes. They've been incredibly helpful, worth their weight in gold. If you add a bolted down wheel chock, you'd be good to go.

Archived