The MT-07 Forum

Mis shifting into Neutral

motosxe

Hey guys I just bought my fz07 and took it for a ride yesterday. The bike has 100 miles on it currently. During the ride I accidently shifted into neutral instead of 2nd gear. At that point I didn't know about blipping the throttle so I would just slow down to around 10mph (was in traffic) and shift up into 2nd. It would make a slight clunk sound. I know I need to avoid doing this. My question though is do you guys think I did any serious damage to the motorcycle doing this?

Thanks

I've been riding on and off for 3 years. I've had 250cbr, gxsr600, and a Yamaha r6. It's been awhile since I've ridden though. But I've never had a miss shift before this bike. I've already adjusted the lever and it's fine now. Just wondering how much damage that could cause aha.

Guest ChicagoAJ

None. It clunks when you're stopped and go into 1st (clunks even harder going into 2nd when stopped). Motorcycle transmissions are pretty tough when compared to car transmissions.

Ride it however you want, follow oil change schedules and don't worry about the transmission. The clutch on the other hand... Well, that all depends on how you ride. 

• Premium Member
Hey guys I just bought my fz07 and took it for a ride yesterday. The bike has 100 miles on it currently. During the ride I accidently shifted into neutral instead of 2nd gear. At that point I didn't know about blipping the throttle so I would just slow down to around 10mph (was in traffic) and shift up into 2nd. It would make a slight clunk sound. I know I need to avoid doing this. My question though is do you guys think I did any serious damage to the motorcycle doing this? 
Thanks

I end up doing this fairly often when I'm not wearing my usual steel toe boots due to the slimmer toe. (by fairly often I mean not often overall, just in that circumstance)

Not gonna hurt anything. I get a little flush when that happens and it ends up winding the motor to 3-4k. Like a megaphone alerted everyone to my nub error.

Everything went braap.

First off, Welcome!!

When I had an R3, I shifted into neutral almost daily and I have been riding for 29 years. I have not missed a shift into 2nd even once with the FZ. There must be some difference in design. I did have to adjust my shift lever down some to fit my foot comfortably. You may try to see if you need the same adjustment up/down.

potatochips

It happens. Like has been said, some bikes are tougher than others. The FZ-07 isn't bad at all, and the guys that have owned other bikes where it was worse probably subconsciously shift a little harder into second. If you do miss it again, you will, you don't need to slow down, just grab the clutch again and pull up on the lever. In the end, to avoid it, just shift a little harder into second (pull up on the lever with more force) till it doesn't happen anymore.

Most likely culprit ( of there is one) is the adjustment of the gear change lever position.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...

Happens to me when I have a light foot or not pulling up high enough more than once I just grab the clutch and put it in second.

Archived