The MT-07 Forum

Pretty good fork springs & oil change how-to.

weazsel

• Premium Member

I was looking everywhere for something like this when I did my springs, fork oil and preload adjuster. This was just posted a couple weeks ago: How to change fork springs & oil on a Yamaha MT 07 (FZ 07)

This is very helpful but I feel like it's missing setting the correct sag for the rider. I mentioned that in the comments section of the video. Even with my limited suspension knowledge I'm pretty sure that's on the top of the priority list when it comes to finding the correct setup. Whether it be with a preload adjuster or just cutting the spacer I think there should be a mention of it somewhere!  :)

Due to a leaky preload adjuster I ultimately I ended up just upgrading my suspension with the Forks by Matt cartridge upgrade... but when I did this install I would have been a lot less hesitant if I had this video to refer to.

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

Guest ChicagoAJ

This video is awesome. I've never done anything in regards to a fork at all, wouldn't even hesitate now.

EDIT: After watching this I'm really tempted to lower the front end an inch or so to see if that helps combat wheelies for harder launches. Can't do clip-ons anymore because of a bad back, but I think this might do the trick... 

Would that do anything harmful, @pattonme?

short wheelbase and short swingarm cause wheelies. An entire inch is a massive change and no, what small shift in weight bias you'd get would not be sufficient to make a meterial difference in wheelie-ness. This isn't the 70/80's where forks were raked out and you could get away with 1 inch changes in the forks and not suffer front-end stability problems.

Put a 20lb bag of sand in your tank bag and that'll help. :)
Get a longer chain and back the tensioner all the way to the back. Or get a smaller rear sprocket.
If your shock is not spring adequately (ass sags too much) then that allows too much weight transfer to the back.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
short wheelbase and short swingarm cause wheelies. An entire inch is a massive change and no, what small shift in weight bias you'd get would not be sufficient to make a meterial difference in wheelie-ness. This isn't the 70/80's where forks were raked out and you could get away with 1 inch changes in the forks and not suffer front-end stability problems. 
Put a 20lb bag of sand in your tank bag and that'll help. :)
Get a longer chain and back the tensioner all the way to the back. Or get a smaller rear sprocket.
If your shock is not spring adequately (ass sags too much) then that allows too much weight transfer to the back.

Yea, @pgeldz suggested getting a one link longer chain. I didn't know dropping the front would cause stability issues - I always see sport bikes with their front forks coming a couple inches up so I figured I'd ask.  
Would you know what the torque for those hex bolts are? I checked the torque specs but I don't know the names of all those areas of the fork. They all look like they're between 17-20 ft/lbs. 

• Premium Member

The 1 link longer chain was in reference to doing a +2 sized rear sprocket. With the +2 rear sprocket, it's impossible to have the rear axle in the middle of its adjustment. It'll be shorter, making the bike more wheelie prone due to the shorter wheelbase, and of course the shorter gearing. Adding a link will make the wheel base more towards the rear, counter acting the wheelies but still great acceleration because of the +2 sprocket.

As far as lowering the front, not many people have done that as far as I'm aware...BUT, raising the rear effectively does the same thing as far as combating wheelies, and it makes the bike handle better and provides more ground clearance.

Raising the rear on these bikes is a proven way to aid in handling. That's how the FZ07R's by AP MotoArts are set up. They use a taller rear tire, an extended rear shock, and also a new rear suspension link which all make the rear higher, and make the bike handle better and gives more ground clearance. I'd imagine the side effect of a taller rear would make the weight bias such to where it would be less wheelie prone also.

:)

- Paulie

Guest ChicagoAJ
The 1 link longer chain was in reference to doing a +2 sized rear sprocket. With the +2 rear sprocket, it's impossible to have the rear axle in the middle of its adjustment. It'll be shorter, making the bike more wheelie prone due to the shorter wheelbase, and of course the shorter gearing. Adding a link will make the wheel base more towards the rear, counter acting the wheelies but still great acceleration because of the +2 sprocket. 
As far as lowering the front, not many people have done that as far as I'm aware...BUT, raising the rear effectively does the same thing as far as combating wheelies, and it makes the bike handle better and provides more ground clearance.

Raising the rear on these bikes is a proven way to aid in handling. That's how the FZ07R's by AP MotoArts are set up. They use a taller rear tire, an extended rear shock, and also a new rear suspension link which all make the rear higher, and make the bike handle better and gives more ground clearance. I'd imagine the side effect of a taller rear would make the weight bias such to where it would be less wheelie prone also.

- Paulie
Interesting, so I wouldn't be able to get a chain that's one link longer with the stock sprockets? Would that make the chain too long then?

• Premium Member

- Paulie
Interesting, so I wouldn't be able to get a chain that's one link longer with the stock sprockets? Would that make the chain too long then?

Well, the one link longer with the +2 rear sprocket is already toward the end of the adjustment range...so I think there wouldn't be enough adjustment room in the swingarm with 1 link added and stock sprockets.

- Paulie

You could get the whole 4-6" swingarm extensions welded on like you see on those bling'd out Busa and GSXRs.
Ok, that was in jest. Your FZ07 owner's card will be pulled if you do that to your bike.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
You could get the whole 4-6" swingarm extensions welded on like you see on those bling'd out Busa and GSXRs. Ok, that was in jest. Your FZ07 owner's card will be pulled if you do that to your bike.

I'm doing that. 

• 5 weeks later...

I wondered about those aftermarket (china) preload adjusters. What stops air/oil leakage and now you've proven it.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Archived