The MT-07 Forum

Suspension problems

Tark

So.... This is my fault but I decided to tighten my suspension cause I ride two up a lot. I'm doing what the manual says and I bump it up to nine and I get my wife to sit on it and it feels fine.

I go to put it back on 3 for now(standard) and I can't get it off nine!!

What do I do? Do I ride with it on nine? Do I take it to the dealer to put it back to 3?

I tried knocking it down with a hammer and the tool. Nothing works. Please I would like some insight.

I suggest buying a new Fz07, or perhaps have you tried turning the device off and back on again?

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

• Global Moderator

I haven't tried changing my setting, but I imagine that the spring is more compressed ate setting 9, so it will be harder to turn the dial back. Maybe try lifting the back of the bike up (so there is less pressure on the spring) before trying to turn the dail.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33459059/shock.png

Guest MXRider

Yup all weight is off. I may just leave it on nine.

No I mean you have the frame supporting the weight of the bike so there is none on the rear suspension. You can put jack stands under the rear sets.

• Premium Member

Yup all weight is off. I may just leave it on nine.
No I mean you have the frame supporting the weight of the bike so there is none on the rear suspension. You can put jack stands under the rear sets.
This exactly, It should take all the pressure off of the rear spring which 'should' allow you to turn it. I'll mess with mine today and see if I can get you an easy solution if you cant manage to fix it.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

I tried what you guys suggested and still couldn't get it. I rode it into work today. Didn't feel a difference at all so I may just leave it on nine.

But thanks so much for the help. If I need to soften the suspension I'll just take it to the dealer.

Cheers!

MarylandFZ07
I tried what you guys suggested and still couldn't get it. I rode it into work today. Didn't feel a difference at all so I may just leave it on nine.  
But thanks so much for the help. If I need to soften the suspension I'll just take it to the dealer.

Cheers!

I weigh around 190 and I have mine on setting 9 I believe. I seem to like it more as well, I ride it everyday on setting 9

• 10 months later...

I have this same problem and when I tried adjusting it back down to the standard setting it would not budge. I ended up stripping the factory adjustment tool, does anyone know where I can get replacement tool preferable a better one with gripper teeth and a longer handle?

I had the same issue as well, as I ride a lot with my daughter.
I decided to change my setting from 7, back to 1, as I found the ride a bit bumpy when commuting.
I couldn't adjust the ring to the next down (8) number, and thought I damaged the adjustment tool in the process.
Then I remembered I had the same issue 15 years ago.
The ring is very hard to go back down but very easy to go up. And if you look at the ring carefully, you will see that
it goes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 settings and continue to another set of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 settings. 2 sets of settings on the adjustment ring.

All you have to do if you are on 7, and want to go back to 1, is to keep on going up.
Go from 7 to 8 then 9, then (big Clank, the ring dropped down) back to 1 very easily. the tool might seams worn out going down, as you have to apply a lot of pressure, pushing the tool to slip, but when you use it to go up in numbers, it fits just perfect.

There is also an extender for that tool in the tool bag. You slide it onto your tool, It then will give you a lot more leverage.

IMG_1301-1_zpsesz5idsd.jpg

• 1 year later...

Going through old posts and found this.

Manual say NOT to take the big jump from 9 to 1. I'm guessing too much force on stops, might shear them off.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• 3 weeks later...

Use a cotton swab and smear a little grease on the ramps. You can also put a drop or 2 of motor oil between the spring and the collar as there's friction there keeping that ring from turning.

Archived