The MT-07 Forum

Plate mounting hardware

ssdawood

I picked up my 2016 raven 2 days ago. I am surprised to find that it didn't come with any screws to mount rear license plate.

Do I have to buy it or am I looking in wrong spot.

First, let me welcome you aboard!!

Most dealerships have a bucket of this type hardware. If you are close, go back and they should hand you some nuts & bolts. Every bike I have purchased new, had the plate already installed by the dealer.

If you are not close, go to the hardware store and pick up a couple nuts & bolts, or better yet, go to the auto parts store and pick up a pack of the "security" hardware. Will have a not so common pattern in the bolt head for a little more theft protection. Make sure to get the type that has nuts and bolts, not the self tapping screws designed to go into plastic inserts like on automobiles.

https://amzn.com/B001RIBISC

31cGXAvNzfL_zpska6jtyey.jpg

Ride Safe!!

Capn

Thanks Bud. I will go get some.

I just find it amazing thay yamaha didn't include them with their street bikes.

For some reason I thought they would cone with bike.

Then again this is my first bike and don't know what's included or not.

• Global Moderator
Thanks Bud. I will go get some. 
I just find it amazing thay yamaha didn't include them with their street bikes.

For some reason I thought they would cone with bike.

Then again this is my first bike and don't know what's included or not.
Unfortunately its up to the dealer to install the plates, and falls to the dealer to supply hardware.
its the same in the automotive dealers. We have a 20gal oil drum nearly filled with license plate screws.
When i purchased my bike the plate was held on by 2 small plastic thumbscrews that stripped nearly immediately

Replaced them with the security torx that kirk posted above

Ace hardware, home depot, and lowes also carry them

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator

My bike came with a license plate frame (advertising the dealership) installed around the temporary paper plate. I just assumed the hardware had been included, but now you mention it it does make more sense that the dealership installed it when they put the temporary plate on.

I think its your dealer that you should be amazed at. All my bikes, different brands, different dealerships all have this generic reflector style hand-tighten wingnut bolts that I'm fairly certain were put there by the dealer. Actually one of my bikes, I recall seeing the rear fender and nothing but holes (as well as some barcode sticker) at the time of purchase, and then when I bought it, the dealer had the temp plate/plastic frame with the aforementioned reflector and wingnut combo.

I'm willing to bet there is barely any motorcycle manufacturer out there that actually provides license plate bolts pre-attached to the fenders.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Archived