The MT-07 Forum

New into the motorcycle world

motoaddict

So a little bit about me. I am 26 years old and since I was 16 I have wanted a motorcycle ever since I rode my uncle's 2002 Honda cbr600rr. fast forward 10 years and I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a bike. My new to me 2015 FZ-07 graphite with 804 miles on the ODO. I got a decent deal and snagged it for $4800. Looks pretty much brand new just needs a little detailing TLC. He even threw in a new battery since it didn't start when I went to pick it up. The only issues I have found is that it hasn't been serviced yet and its about 200 miles overdue for the 600 mile service (I get the oil and filter tomorrow), and I am hearing the chain rattle a bit and been reading its a common occurrence but there is no fix yet. also the bike makes a lot of mechanical noise, but since I don't really know how a bike usually sounds I am not sure if its normal or not, my wife said to me when I was passing by that it makes really strange noises when shifting. not sure if its an issue but it drives awesome so I am guessing no.
I still have to do the MSF course for my endorsement while I wait for my bank to register the bike. all in all I should be on the road in less than a month. Super excited to get on the road. see you guys out there.

2JL3hzB.jpg4P5rrCs.jpgOANibmd.jpgJQxFiUq.jpgerHxW5r.jpgZjFQfER.jpg

fkcVszF.jpgus5pxXj.jpg

Congrats on the new bike! The FZ 07 is a fantastic machine. I would make sure you get the oil and filter changed before you ride it, and as for the chain rattle I bet it is just loose. The chain will stretch a bit during the break in and will just need to be adjusted, no worries.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome! I hope you're planning on removing that pesky warning sticker on the tank.  ;)

Illegitimi non carborundum

Welcome!! Awesome choice for a first bike! Ride Safe & enjoy the MSF class. I took it when my wife wanted her license and learned a lot and had fun doing it.

Gosh, you want to see the mattress tag police to nab him, dontcha?

Welcome! I hope you're planning on removing that pesky warning sticker on the tank.  ;)

Thank you guys for the warm welcome, unfortunately I'm off to a bumpy start. Only 2 days after I got my bike and the first night I had my Xena alarm installed, someone tried to steal it. Pretty lucky I got my alarm one day early from Amazon, or else I wouldn't have a bike. At around 4 in the morning my alarm went off and when I went to check the cover had been almost completely removed and I saw a white cargo van with one back door open leaving my neighborhood. The alarm seems to have spooked the amateur would be thief's and they ran.

That coupled with everyone I know telling me its too dangerous and criticizing my decision has my spirits pretty broken. The only support I have is my wife and you guys. Looking to you fellow org members to remind me why I want this and have wanted since I was 16. That's it for now, thanks for reading and safe riding.

Hopefully I will see you all on the road soon.

• Premium Member

Welcome!
Just enjoy then MSF class at first and don't worry about what people say!
Afterwards, take your time in a parking lot getting used to the bike and practicing emergency braking (and other maneuvers) so you can stay safe!
There are also some good books you can read that'll guide you a bit and help you to improve your skills.

Thank you guys for the warm welcome, unfortunately I'm off to a bumpy start. Only 2 days after I got my bike and the first night I had my Xena alarm installed, someone tried to steal it. Pretty lucky I got my alarm one day early from Amazon, or else I wouldn't have a bike. At around 4 in the morning my alarm went off and when I went to check the cover had been almost completely removed and I saw a white cargo van with one back door open leaving my neighborhood. The alarm seems to have spooked the amateur would be thief's and they ran. 
That coupled with everyone I know telling me its too dangerous and criticizing my decision has my spirits pretty broken. The only support I have is my wife and you guys. Looking to you fellow org members to remind me why I want this and have wanted since I was 16. That's it for now, thanks for reading and safe riding.

Been riding on and off for 11 years. I was lucky enough to always have a bike to ride even when I didn't have my own at certain times. One thing that has not change yet is the feeling. It's a feeling you only get when riding. A great feeling of joy and freedom that only you can know when you ride. I'm sure those people who criticize you are the ones who don't have a bike. I commute long distance for work and I think my commute in my car is more dangerous. Just like with anything in life, you have to take the bad with the good. This good is worth it. Just ride and enjoy it while you can :)

Greatness

Thank you I will definitely enjoy the msf course. I just went shoe shopping today since they said my shoes had to cover my ankles. So I found a pair that to me look exactly like motorcycle shoes but are actually basketball sneakers. They are leather and have reinforced ankle support, the resemblance to actual motorcycle shoes is uncanny to me. I wanted to be able to wear these on my motorcycle or anywhere.

http://www.citygear.com/nike-flystepper-2k3-17.html?gclid=CLz_5uqios4CFQxahgodL3sAIg

Been riding on and off for 11 years. I was lucky enough to always have a bike to ride even when I didn't have my own at certain times. One thing that has not change yet is the feeling. It's a feeling you only get when riding. A great feeling of joy and freedom that only you can know when you ride. I'm sure those people who criticize you are the ones who don't have a bike. I commute long distance for work and I think my commute in my car is more dangerous. Just like with anything in life, you have to take the bad with the good. This good is worth it. Just ride and enjoy it while you can :)
I am sure when I finally get on the road i will feel that way. When I test drove it I felt that passion. But since having to hide it from the thieves I have been feeling pretty down on the purchase. This is why we cant have nice things, I hate thieves lmao.

Never too late to ride. I got my endorsement at 20 but didn't start riding until I was 26. Those in-between years were miserable without a bike but now I have 3 in the stable.

• Premium Member

Welcome and grats! Glad to hear your dream is becoming a reality.

There will always be butt heads who want to ruin your day whether they are thieves or inattentive drivers about to bump into you.

Don't trust anyone on road. Be alert and engaged in your ride. Ride your own ride and don't try to keep pace with others (especially fools) if you aren't at their level. Get decent gear, it could save your life. Get educated and do some reading. Proficient Motorcycling is a good read and "twist of the wrist vol 2" on YouTube has good info on throttle control.

Ultimately do your best to be smooth, relax and enjoy the ride. Because it's one of the best f- ing things in life.

berettatrio

I just got my Xena alarm and I love it. It sounds like you probably love it too. Just keep your head up. I keep my bike inside at night time but I know not everyone can do that.

As for shoes I have these http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-and-strength-black-9-moto-shoes?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CjwKEAjwiYG9BRCkgK-G45S323oSJABnykKAL-SEPo6CDX7Q9Q_VdQ_6D2p3fUIlelIKyAfrGjL9YRoCHKzw_wcB

I actually like them a lot and definitely recommend them.

Welcome and congrats on your new bike! You're lucky you got one at that price with that many miles (change oil/service immediately) and luckier that you have a wife that's not jealous of you picking up a new gf! Ha! ;)  Stay frosty around those cagers!

Beemer

• Premium Member

Welcome and congrats!

I'm sorry someone tried to nab your bike! LIKE WHAT!! Good on you for installing an alarm. I'll be moving soon to parking garage, so I might invest on an alarm system as well.

My story is similar to yours... and I got my first motorcycle when I was 26. I've been told MANY times by others on their thoughts on motorcycling... All I can tell you is that it shouldn't matter. It's what matters to you. Maybe you can be the one person that shows others how great motorcycle riding can be. I know I've changed a few people's minds.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Welcome!!!

As people say, have 1000 eyes everywhere, wherever you ride! If you are parking in a fixed place at night, a nice chain will help to reduce the chance of people trying to do something to your baby... Even more when it got spotted, meaning they may come back again!

I got my new FZ-07 in a garage with code, still, got the brake lock and a chain. I had the Xena one, and in the future, remember to clean the mirrors that make the sensor work (if they are not clean, the lock may start beeping randomly).

Whatever questions, feel free to ask! Enjoy it!

Safe riding!

Geeeez... where do you live?  Seems like the Xena was a great purchase!  No garage I assume, maybe find something to anchor it to.  It would only be a diversion, something to slow down the casual thief.

Geeeez... where do you live?
Oh nice try buddy. Just kidding, but seriously this situation has me beyond paranoid. I honestly feel like whoever tried to steal it definitely either lives in my neighborhood or was the person who told someone else to take it. The bike was moved to a safe location the same day it happened, so I'm definitely not taking any chances. and when the police went to see the camera footage the people in the office said that I need a court order for the footage... I was at a loss for words. almost feels like an inside job. I feel like I need a tinfoil hat at this point. and that xena alarm was a complete godsend for my situation. I am seriously considering writing them a thank you letter. if not for that alarm I would have been 10 feet from my bike while it was being loaded in a van and I would have not had a clue. I guess my next purchase will have to be a gun. sigh... B-|   (:))
the funny thing is where I live it is so calm and quiet, you never see people outside or hanging out. really low crime neighborhood, that's why this really spooked me. and there is a Harley that's been parked here for years...

Yeah, I saw the Harley, but it's too damn heavy and my strongman had a date  :P

Hope they nab that bass turds.

Oh nice try buddy. Just kidding,[span style=font-size:12pt] [/span]B-| [span style=font-size:12pt]    .....[/span] the funny thing is where I live it is so calm and quiet, you never see people outside or hanging out. really low crime neighborhood, that's why this really spooked me. and there is a Harley that's been parked here for years...

Oh nice try buddy. Just kidding, but seriously this situation has me beyond paranoid. I honestly feel like whoever tried to steal it definitely either lives in my neighborhood or was the person who told someone else to take it. The bike was moved to a safe location the same day it happened, so I'm definitely not taking any chances. and when the police went to see the camera footage the people in the office said that I need a court order for the footage... I was at a loss for words. almost feels like an inside job. I feel like I need a tinfoil hat at this point. and that xena alarm was a complete godsend for my situation. I am seriously considering writing them a thank you letter. if not for that alarm I would have been 10 feet from my bike while it was being loaded in a van and I would have not had a clue. I guess my next purchase will have to be a gun. sigh... B-|   (:))
the funny thing is where I live it is so calm and quiet, you never see people outside or hanging out. really low crime neighborhood, that's why this really spooked me. and there is a Harley that's been parked here for years...

Hey motoaddict, 
It'd be ideal to find an indoor spot, and even then, if it is in a community garage, look for a place to secure it with a decent chain. Then you'll be able to sleep (this exact thing happened to me back in Spain), so I learnt - if they wanna steal it, they'll do so, but they'll try to go for the fanciest bike with the least security things on. 
Don't you worry, motorcycles are just "interesting", unfortunately - and sportbikes such us ours are sweet and sought-after.

Anyways, one experience more and please don't regret your purchase, you'll enjoy it for sure and the feelings you get when riding will compensate for all this. ;)

Safe riding!

Thanks for the kind words! I am trying to change my wife's mind right now. trying to get her on a grom or a 250 so we can ride together. she sat on the bike and it definitely planted a seed.

Welcome and congrats!  
I'm sorry someone tried to nab your bike! LIKE WHAT!! Good on you for installing an alarm. I'll be moving soon to parking garage, so I might invest on an alarm system as well.

My story is similar to yours... and I got my first motorcycle when I was 26. I've been told MANY times by others on their thoughts on motorcycling... All I can tell you is that it shouldn't matter. It's what matters to you. Maybe you can be the one person that shows others how great motorcycle riding can be. I know I've changed a few people's minds

twowheeladdict

I started reading this thread, saw the photos of the bike outdoors, and thought "this bike won't last long". Then I read your almost stolen post.

Sucks that there are idiots out there ready to steal anything not tied down. Hope you have a weapon if you are going to run out and confront would be thieves. A guy in MO confronted bike thieves and they killed him and took the bike.

I wanted a motorcycle since I was 3 years old. Got my first Street bike at 19. I have ridden over 200,000 miles on the street. Take the class. Hone your skills. Do risk assessment and risk avoidance. Read books by David Hough. Get Hi-Vis gear.

2015 FZ-07

I started reading this thread, saw the photos of the bike outdoors, and thought "this bike won't last long". Then I read your almost stolen post. 
Sucks that there are idiots out there ready to steal anything not tied down. Hope you have a weapon if you are going to run out and confront would be thieves. A guy in MO confronted bike thieves and they killed him and took the bike.

I wanted a motorcycle since I was 3 years old. Got my first Street bike at 19. I have ridden over 200,000 miles on the street. Take the class. Hone your skills. Do risk assessment and risk avoidance. Read books by David Hough. Get Hi-Vis gear.
Its funny because I was thinking the exact same thing as you when I was looking at the bike parked outside my apartment. one of my biggest hurdles in buying the bike was where I was going to store it. but when that deal came up I couldn't let it go. I definitely have weaponS, but I rather not use any of them. thanks for the advise, definitely looking forward honing my skills, that's the fun part.

Take that awesome sticker off the tank and they'll leave your bike alone.  ;)  I kid. This might not sound like much but detracting from it's looks can help. Maybe just a simple bike tarp so they won't think, wow, look at that awesome bike! Instead they'll just think, hmmm, a tarp with two wheels. 

Beemer

Archived