The MT-07 Forum

Venom Fork Stand

Guest ChicagoAJ

Guest ChicagoAJ

Question to anyone who has this fork stand or something similar. After using this exact stand on the 3 different bikes I've owned, I've never been able to get the front of the bike off the ground without the gold plate of the stand blocking the front axle. I've tried switching sides with the plated parts themselves, but in order for me to lift the bike without the fork jumping off the rubber part of the stand the plate must be in the position shown.

Obviously if I ever need to take the wheel off, I won't be able. Anyone else ever have this issue? I feel like an idiot for not being able to figure it out. 

28714e8.jpg

I believe you have it upside down.

I googled Venom Front Stand and this was first. The heavy piece is a weight to hold the orientation and should be on the bottom.

SMI6010-7.jpg?1382101477

I am making the assumption that you already have the rear on a stand before lifting the front. I have never had my front stands feel like they are going to jump off.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Yea, I always lift rear first.

But that's what I'm saying - I know it's supposed to be down, but on every bike I've had no matter which side either of those gold plates are on, it won't lift the front without one side coming off the stand. With them flipped up like in the picture, it works flawlessly every time. I have no idea why it won't lift it correctly with them facing down like that.

I use pit bulls and do not have any issues.

Are they flexing/spreading and sliding off the tips of the rubber pieces? I have no experience with the Venom's.

I use these and don't have a problem using them correctly. You might want to look and make sure you are using the correct holes. Sounds like your using the inner wholes not far outside ones.

Guest ChicagoAJ

I've tried swapping them side to side, doesn't make a difference (they're also not labeled left or right). It's set for the correct width of the wheel. After it's lifted about halfway one side always slips out. It's like the plates and lift points are welded on backward, no matter the configuration I have to fight with it the entire time to not get one side to fall off unless I leave the plates pointing upwards like in the picture. Then it works perfectly. 

Guest ChicagoAJ
You need more pictures. Are both brackets the same? Maybe one is bent.
They're definitely the right brackets and they're identical. Nothing is bent, that's why this is so frustrating. I've just been using them upside down because of how perfectly they work that way. They'll work the right way but not without me adjusting their placement 5-6 times before attempting to lift the bike.  
It's always the brake side fork tube that jumps off. I thought it was the extra piece of metal on the bottom of that tube but even with the pads spread further apart it still happens. 

I'll look into it further when I get a chance, just thought someone might have a quick solution. But since no one has ever had a problem like this before I must be doing something wrong. 

pic (close enough we can see actual detail) of stand against a plain background (eg. concrete floor) with it in horizontal orientation (as if bike was on it, but no actual bike blocking the adapters)

Then pic of you holding the stand against the bottom of the fork as if you were about to push down and do the lifting. shot head-on or from ~vertical above the axle.

Or video if you rather.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
pic (close enough we can see actual detail) of stand against a plain background (eg. concrete floor) with it in horizontal orientation (as if bike was on it, but no actual bike blocking the adapters) 
Then pic of you holding the stand against the bottom of the fork as if you were about to push down and do the lifting. shot head-on or from ~vertical above the axle.

Or video if you rather.
I'll try to get the pic of the stand up tonight. Working late, though. And my bike is stuck in my work's garage until the weekend most likely as it's been down-pouring here. 

so far so good. just need one with you about to attempt to raise the bike.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
so far so good. just need one with you about to attempt to raise the bike.
Might be a few days, bike is stored at my work's underground garage when rain is in the forecast. 

Again, I have my right and left fork hooks the other way. When I used them the way I see in your photo I did notice a tendency for them to rotate. The video should be interesting...

Guest ChicagoAJ
Again, I have my right and left fork hooks the other way. When I used them the way I see in your photo I did notice a tendency for them to rotate. The video should be interesting...
Yea, I'll have to experiment more when I get a break in the weather. I haven't tried too much because I've always just used them upside down. They work fine that way (until I have to remove the axle). Haha.

Hey AJ, I have the same stand. I too have the "hooks" on the opposite sides than your pic. Mine works well that way.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Hey AJ, I have the same stand. I too have the "hooks" on the opposite sides than your pic. Mine works well that way.
Yea, I'm going to swap them the next time I use the stand and see if that makes a difference because it definitely doesn't want to work correctly this way. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ChicagoAJ

I figured out what the issue was with the front stand this weekend. On the brake lever side fork there's a big piece of metal on the bottom of the fork tube, doesn't do anything - it's just there. If I put the fork stand under the bottom of the fork and under that metal tab the stand works flawlessly. It was jumping off the stand when it wasn't under that random metal tab (maybe an ABS mount in other countries).

Problem solved.

SMI6010-7.jpg?1382101477 

I've never used a fork lift attachment like this but it seems sketchy to remove the front wheel/axle on a stand like this. There's nothing to anchor the bottom of the forks. Is this a common practice?? I only ask because the OP mentioned in his first post of the inability to remove the front wheel with the problem he is/was having. 

it takes some careful doing but it is possible but it also depends on the particularities of the stand. Some are better designed than others.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
SMI6010-7.jpg?1382101477 

I've never used a fork lift attachment like this but it seems sketchy to remove the front wheel/axle on a stand like this. There's nothing to anchor the bottom of the forks. Is this a common practice?? I only ask because the OP mentioned in his first post of the inability to remove the front wheel with the problem he is/was having.
I could easily remove the front wheel with this stand, but I would loosen up the brake calipers, pinch bolt, and axle before lifting the bike so you're not wrenching too hard while the bike is lifted on a stand like this. A triple tree stand would be better suited for front wheel removal.   

Archived