The MT-07 Forum

Problem with akra titanium

zoltan

My problem with this exhaust is....when the dB killer is in it's very quiet. Close to OEM but when it's out it's too much. Way too much. I'm scared to be pulled up by police.
Initially, I used to like the sound. But now, I don't know why it's getting annoying. I've got Schuberth c3 pro helmet which supposed to be the quietest of all... Even though the sound is hurting my ear.

What can I do?

My problem with this exhaust is....when the dB killer is in it's very quiet. Close to OEM but when it's out it's too much. Way too much. I'm scared to be pulled up by police. Initially, I used to like the sound. But now, I don't know why it's getting annoying. I've got Schuberth c3 pro helmet which supposed to be the quietest of all... Even though the sound is hurting my ear.

What can I do?

Yes, the sound baffle out is crazy loud. I had mine out since installed and I'm the same way as you when I come next to cops.

I thought some people on the forums modified the baffle a little so the sound would be somewhat in between baffle in and baffle out.

To be honest that is what I am hoping for. To find someone who's done it before. But if no one has done it yet....I don't give a f*@# I had enough....I will go ahead and do something. And I mean it. Eventually, I can't make it worse, can I?

I don't want it to be too quiet. Somewhere in the middle.

My initial thought is to cut off those pipes inside.

AlbatrossCafe
FYI, this is exactly what I did for the Akra Carbon
I took out the baffle, hack-sawed a few inches off the back-end (about half its length) and put it back in. It is not as soft as before but not quite as loud as baffle out.

http://i.imgur.com/3vWqul9.jpg

Where those arrows are pointing I tried to drill holes perpendicular to the length of the baffle to allow a little more airflow, but the area was so small I could barely drill anything so I don't think it made a difference. But for sure hack off the back end and you will get that in-the-middle volume you desire.

Don't be fooled by the apparent quietness of the killered Akra. Hearing is logrithmic not linear. ie it is MUCH louder than the stock but you don't notice. The difference is in the distance the sound carries not how loud it "sounds". The Akra with a killer in will give you significantly more "presence" than the stocker and at a greater distance. Not as much as the killer out but still substantial.
The big difference is in the sound profile . The transients are higher especially with the throttle opened.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Do the world a favor and get some ear plugs.

A lot of people think harleys sound good. They simply dont know any better.

Think of yourself as an educator: ridding the world of ignorance. Be loud. Be proud. Toss that baffle in the recycling bin.

-HowWorkClutch

I have an M4 with baffle out and no snorkel. My buddy thinks a Harley is pulling up every time. You have more things to be worry about then being pulled over for some loud pipes :)

Greatness

FYI, this is exactly what I did for the Akra Carbon
I took out the baffle, hack-sawed a few inches off the back-end (about half its length) and put it back in. It is not as soft as before but not quite as loud as baffle out.

http://i.imgur.com/3vWqul9.jpg

Where those arrows are pointing I tried to drill holes perpendicular to the length of the baffle to allow a little more airflow, but the area was so small I could barely drill anything so I don't think it made a difference. But for sure hack off the back end and you will get that in-the-middle volume you desire.

Wooow... thank you. That's what I need it. This is what is mine look like:

http://imgur.com/yvwT75L

First I will cut off in half and see. If I need more I will drill some holes there. There is enough room even for a 10mm whole.

I'm not gonna do it now. But when it's done I will come back with a comparison.

The noise is getting annoying. With dB it's too quiet. Without it it's too loud.

Probably, my toothache doesn't help either.

" Probably, my toothache doesn't help either. " I think you may have found the source of annoyance.

" Probably, my toothache doesn't help either. " I think you may have found the source of annoyance.

Oh my gosh... you know what.... you're right. I got my tooth fixed and since then I don't f@ing care about the noise.

Wooow.... I am like a bitch.

But anyway...I will modify the dB killer. Just in case if I'll have a toothache again

Cutting the section off will have a tiny effect on the noise level. The flow and noise is a function of the cross-section, not the length in this case. If you cut it flush so the tube remains only on the outside it may work better, as the pulse on the outside of the tube (internally) will be forced directly into the outlet. It will still soften the transient though.
The holes around the outer will have more effect. They can create a "whistle" though sometimes

I run the Akra TI without the DB killer and to my surprise most people tell me it's not as loud as they thought is was going to be. I haven't ever had someone tell me it's too loud and I have pulled up next to many police officers and never had a problem. I think that the noise does get amplified by the helmet, regardless of how quiet the helmet is supposed to be, and it sounds really loud to you. Earplugs keep the wind and exhaust noise to a comfortable level. As others have said, there are ways to modify the baffle if you want to put it back in and increase the volume a little.

Archived