The MT-07 Forum

"Fenda - Extendas"

recurveshooter

recurveshooter
They attach with double sided tape and I'm wondering if they really stay on. Anyone tried them? Thanks - recurveshooter

twowheeladdict

You talking front or rear?

Butyl tape is amazing! I have put body side molding and fender flairs on trucks that were still solid after 200,000 miles. It is all about preparing the surface, and good mating.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member

I don't know which you are speaking about, but I made d**ned sure mine wasn't falling off!

(btw, I'm always a fan of "...good mating.")

it was customary back in the day to rivet (or bolt) the parts together. the underside of the fender is a mess so you'd have to get it really good and clean for the Butyl tape to work. Think of the provided sticky as just a way to hold the part in place while you rivet.

I've heard of some using Gorilla glue or other plastic/ABS friendly cement.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I didn't like the tape and rivets so I scuffed up both sides with 80 grit and bonded them together with plastibonder by JB weld or Loctite, I can't remember which now but it made for a nicer fit and I've pulled on and tried to separate it, holds real well. IF it's of interest, I'll go out to the garage tomorrow and find the real name and mfg. It did require a little creative clamping but not to bad.

Had one on a K1100RS years ago. Used the supplied 2 sided sticky and supplemented it with a bit of RTV silicone where the tape wasn't. It was still here 6 years later when I traded the bike.

That JBWeld Plastic Welder stuff should work just fine.

Yep, that's what it was, JB Weld Plastic Bonder, note that it is tan in color so be careful so that it wont squeeze out and show, it's easy to use and sets up fast, 15 minutes.

• Global Moderator

Loctite and kent make similar products
kent's being a bit superior if harder to get

kinda want the stock fender back on now after going back and lookin at all the pics

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Yep, that's what it was, JB Weld Plastic Bonder, note that it is tan in color so be careful so that it wont squeeze out and show, it's easy to use and sets up fast, 15 minutes.
did it smell like getting work done at the dentist? Those glues are frequently methacrylate. Devcon used to sell something called PlasticWelder and FlexWelder (also for plastics, but a bit flexible). Both were methacrylate adhesive. Devcon is now owned by Permatex iirc.

Guest Ralph

Fitted mine near 2 years 10,000 miles with some atrocious weather thrown in
and though I was sceptical of just using the tape supplied it's still there and
shows no sign of letting go.

recurveshooter
Thank you to everyone. I'm going to get one to keep the spooge and small rocks coming off the front tire off the radiator. - recurveshooter

Thank you to everyone. I'm going to get one to keep the spooge and small rocks coming off the front tire off the radiator. - recurveshooter
Yeah me too, radiator got an evotech guard but I didn't like the short front fender throwing everything up on the pipes and engine. I can't see the fenda extenda while riding so forget that it's not as aesthetically pleasing. The rear got a longer carbon fiber hugger that works well, I only wish they made a longer carbon front. 

did it smell like getting work done at the dentist? Those glues are frequently methacrylate. Devcon used to sell something called PlasticWelder and FlexWelder (also for plastics, but a bit flexible). Both were methacrylate adhesive. Devcon is now owned by Permatex iirc.
Rick, I know that smell well and really dislike it but I sampled a couple of older bonders at the same time so I can't remember if the JB Weld was as obnoxious, I'm thinking not because I would have noticed when I went back to unclamp, you really don't want to use the smelly one in the house, bad enough in the garage. 

Archived