The MT-07 Forum

Chinese Rearsets....and it's not a bad one.

zoltan

I've bought a Chinese rearstet. It may sound silly. I know. But I just couldn't justify to spend £300 on ligtech or some other brand.
Don't get me wrong. If I had money I wouldn't mind but at the moment I'm quite skinned ?

The main reason I've ordered them is to make my bike more black. I didn't like that silver colour at all.

First, I was very sceptic...but...that's absolutely not bad for £70!!!!
Mind you it's a short term review.

Here is some picture:

https://imgur.com/a/2PL3m

https://imgur.com/o7eWg3s

It seems good quality, light (much lighter than OEM), and pretty comfortable. It will take some time to get used to the new foot position but it's not bad.

Furthermore, the shifting seems much easier in either way. Up or down.
The brake it's a bit stiffer. Not too much just a bit.

So...after all I think I made a good deal.

The only bad bad point is there was no instruction at all. I could figure it out but took about 1hrs to finish it. And I've got 4 bolt left.... hopefully it's like IKEA. They always give you spare ones.

http://imgur.com/MiElKwG

Looks great. I've been eyeing these as well, alot more affordable then the offerings we have here.

Thanks for sharing

Someone else said recently that not everything that's made in China is cheaply made and I would have to agree. The shorty levers I have look good, fit good and are holding up well. It's the same aluminum and hardware used in pricier levers , go figure. A little research can pay off.
those look good, btw, but would look better on my bike. Just put them back in the box and ship them to me now.  ;)

Beemer

I have very mix experience with Chinese stuff. I've just made a review of a foldable levers. Utterly rubish.... it's so flimsy...I hate it. But my friend has the same foldable and it's brilliant I can't fault it.
I would say it really depends on the manufacturer. But the problem is that you can't really decide whether it's good or bad stuff just by looking it on a picture.

This time I feel I got lucky

I've gone aheead and ordered these as well on Ali for 70 euros. Only had good experiences with my other China parts (LED headlight, LED strips, levers).

Will let you know wether I also end up with 4 bolts remaining lol.

Actually, one spring was out too. On the break side there is two spring originally. But because it's a bit different mechanism it needs only 1.
But no worries.It's quite simple to assemble.

All the bits and pieces were in one bag to figure them out which one where to go was a bit annoying. But if you'll need any help let me know.

Hey, how adjust are they, can you move feet down and back? As standard is a little high for me..cheers!

• Premium Member

Always a crap-shoot. Good score!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

AlbatrossCafe
 It will take some time to get used to the new foot position but it's not bad.  

How has the foot position changed? It has moved forward, backward, lower, higher, etc? 
Can you give link of where to buy?

• Premium Member

Yep got the same set its been good so far. I had to get them moved with my lower bars its much better.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

I have them too... AND the 4 extra bolts! :) That was nice of them just in case we lose one!

Attached a few pictures for you guys. 

Used blue loctite on EVERY bolt. Not a doubt in my mind without it they would rattle themselves to pieces.

Also removed the toe grips on both the shifter and rear brake and replaced them with the OEM grips.

Ran them for a track day and adapted very quickly. It feels like I'm shifting quicker now but it's probably mental.

Mine are in the downward most rearward position. These guys coupled with my Suburban Machinery M1 handlebars makes the ride much more aggressive and sharp. I love it. It's not TOO aggressive though in my opinion. 

I think they look sweet.

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

Was debating on these too. Back and lower? I would think these rearsets would move them back and higher for more clearance on the lean.

Greatness

• Premium Member
I have them too... AND the 4 extra bolts! :) That was nice of them just in case we lose one! 

Any problem with connecting the rear brake? Or does it attach just like OEM?
Attached just like OEM. I used the included spring but had to strech it a little bit. Initially it was very tight so my brake light was always on. 
Streched the spring and rotated the adjuster until it set off the light a millisecond after I touch the brake pedal. Not as quick and simple as that sounds haha! Installing and setting the brake side I found to be the most annoying part of this install.

Give yourself at least a couple hours total install time with these guys. Between finding the right settings that work for you, the loctite, the brake light switch adjustment and the shifter assembly it does take some time.

All of that being said in this post and above: They are nice and cheap hence why I got them. They are far from the best. After some more track days I'll let you know how they hold up over time. I do bring my stock rearsets with me as spares just in case. 

Most likely I'll be upgrading to some Gilles or Woodcrafts in the future.

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

It will take some time to get used to the new foot position but it's not bad.  

How has the foot position changed? It has moved forward, backward, lower, higher, etc? 

It's a bit backwards and higher then the original. Very easy to adjust. Here is a
picture.

https://imgur.com/a/lpJuN

The heel rest has 4 whole to choose and for you toes you've got 3.

I put a screwdriver through the whole. So roughly this is the position of the original one.

It's a bit more sporty feeling but as I said it's not bad at all.

And yeah...be careful with the break light. I didn't adjust it so all day it was on when finally someone in the traffic let me know what's happening.

I've bought it on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282047690827

AlbatrossCafe

It's a bit backwards and higher then the original. Very easy to adjust. Here is a
picture.

https://imgur.com/a/lpJuN

The heel rest has 4 whole to choose and for you toes you've got 3.

I put a screwdriver through the whole. So roughly this is the position of the original one.

It's a bit more sporty feeling but as I said it's not bad at all.

And yeah...be careful with the break light. I didn't adjust it so all day it was on when finally someone in the traffic let me know what's happening.

I've bought it on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282047690827
Thanks for the comparison picture! 
Can it go any lower than how you have it? I like how it moves back but I am 6'2" so I was hoping to not have to bring it high like you have it. If it can go lower I will buy right now!

Sorry, I'm afraid not. That's the lowest point you can get. You can only put it more backwards and more up (about 1-2cm).

• Premium Member

There are many good quality Chinese parts/products. The trick is differentiating which is which. Some years ago a senior editor of one of the national photography magazines recounted his efforts getting an out-of-production piece of photo equipment reproduced in China. This seems it should be simple enough if one sent an example... NOT! Eventually, it worked out fine, but it took several trips to China in person to eliminate all the bugs and misunderstandings. Afterwhich, eliminating those issues, the finished product was a hit.

That said, I've bought quite a few things from China, directly, and only gotten one dud... and, actually my wife bought that one when she was actually in China in April.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! Thanks for that info on those rear set. I was looking to order one, but my concern is on the right side, i have the sc project exhaust, and not sure if that set will touch it. I did a photo of the housing, also, im not sure in picking them in black or titanium (Titanium Ali), since i got the mattgrey 07.
One more thing, i have ABS, so not sure if i can have any problems with the rear brake. Thank you!

https://i.imgur.com/0jeqyZ5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/t0MnqcG.jpg

• Premium Member

A warning and reminder to those using these rear sets that's been said many times before. USE A LIBERAL AMOUNT OF LOCTITE ON EVERYTHING. 

I used a regular light coating like I normally do on any regular bolt. My left (shifter side) footpeg came loose the other day while I was out on the road. Luckily I had my handy dandy tool kit with me and I was able to just get an L shaped allen wrench in there to tighten it back up and continue my ride.

Before the next track day or long ride I'm going to pull it off and apply a lot more of the blue stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
A warning and reminder to those using these rear sets that's been said many times before. USE A LIBERAL AMOUNT OF LOCTITE ON EVERYTHING.  
I used a regular light coating like I normally do on any regular bolt. My left (shifter side) footpeg came loose the other day while I was out on the road. Luckily I had my handy dandy tool kit with me and I was able to just get an L shaped allen wrench in there to tighten it back up and continue my ride.

Before the next track day or long ride I'm going to pull it off and apply a lot more of the blue stuff!
I have had no issue and didn't use any lock tight. I personally hate lock tight as a mechanic that shit can fU when you have to take it off. I only put lock tight on what I plan on never taking it off. I just torque the bolts down to the proper specs by using my wrist lol Not telling any one what to do this is just my experience

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

I have had no issue and didn't use any lock tight. I personally hate lock tight as a mechanic that Shet can fU when you have to take it off. I only put lock tight on what I plan on never taking it off. I just torque the bolts down to the proper specs by using my wrist lol Not telling any one what to do this is just my experience

I definitely would rather NOT use loctite, but in some applications (such as these ebay rear sets), it is a valuable tool.  The rear sets had no torque specs, so torquing to the proper spec isn't an option.  The bolts had no lock washers, and the one thing I didn't use loctite on, the pre-assembled shift peg, came loose after a dozen or so rides. Loctite can be your enemy or your friend, just use it wisely!   ;) 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

The forces on that peg are perfect for loosening it.  It would have been the perfect application for reverse threading. In light of the fact that it is not reverse threaded, a liberal application of blue loctite worked for me too. ;)

Why can't left turners see us?

I got those as well, and honestly have nothing bad to say about them. I loctited the crap out of every bolt. They did send me the wrong bolt to connect to the brake reservoir but luckily I had a random bolt in my garage that worked perfectly. I've got maybe 1,000 miles on them, no issues.

Archived