The MT-07 Forum

Did I ruin my chain?

dentalprodigy

dentalprodigy

Hi everyone, 
                  Made a noob mistake and for 3000 miles I never lubed my chain.  Thought I bought 2 cans of chain Clean and Lube but turns out I just bought 2 different brands of chain clean - don't laugh.  So for 3000 miles, my chain maintenance consisted of applying chain clean spray 2x with no lube.  I think I'm seeing the side-effects and just want some advice.  Do I need a new chain now?  

I made a cute video for context with pics and video.  https://youtu.be/-ygDFzGuCxo

3 weeks or so ago, I found another one of these rubbery stringy O ring remnants which I simply plucked out.  At that time, I thought it was a bristle of my grunge brush.  This is the 2nd O ring remnant that caught my eye.  The chain was always noisy but now I'm extra paranoid and seem to be hearing a noisier chain lately.  With no throttle while coasting to a redlight, the chain makes a hissing sound.  It's quieter after cleaning + lubing but still audible.  I've read that it's normal for this bike.

So is it official? I need to get a new chain OR is that being too careful.  I'm guessing I do.  Looking forward to your opinions.

Any links to your favorite chain manufacturers/vendors/product links would be appreciated.  ???

bellissimoto

Sounds like a perfect time to do a 520 conversion and sprocket upgrade :)

Seriously though, the stock chain stretches A LOT.  Probably time to just get a different one anyway...regardless of the 520 conversion.

:)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

Chains stretch, make noise and the lubing is just to prevent rust so if there isn't any rust you shouldn't be worried about not having lubed it. If you've adjusted it for slack and it's performing why get a new chain? I wouldn't unless a professional told me a bad o-ring was going to cause a problem. If you're worried about a bad o-ring take it to a mechanic that can get a close up look at the thing. 

Beemer

I used to use a brush to clean my chain until I noticed that I had broken orings. Once you lose an oring the internal lube can come out and will coat the links in this dull red/brown substance that could be mistaken for rust. Once the internal lube starts coming out you need a new chain. The surface lube is really to prevent rust and lube the sprokets.

Now I ditched the brush and use kerosene and a rag to clean my chain, I've never had a broken oring ever since.

Don't run with bad/broken/missing o-rings if you can help it. If you do, they will need constant attention and careful lubing.

dentalprodigy

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm gonna have it checked by a professional. I'll be sure to religiously lube it every ~250 miles. I agree with how stiff the grunge brush bristles are. I've been using a Lisle 14000 parts cleaning brush (from amazon) and it worked well. I might just move to doing more frequent cleaning intervals and just use a rag.

Paul, I might message you about this 520 conversion. Gotta do some google'ing on the topic first.

bellissimoto
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm gonna have it checked by a professional. I'll be sure to religiously lube it every ~250 miles. I agree with how stiff the grunge brush bristles are. I've been using a Lisle 14000 parts cleaning brush (from amazon) and it worked well. I might just move to doing more frequent cleaning intervals and just use a rag.  
Paul, I might message you about this 520 conversion. Gotta do some google'ing on the topic first.
No worries, and no rush.  If you decide to do it, at least I can make it as painless as possible on you and your wallet :)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

Archived