The MT-07 Forum

Safety Glasses

Beemer

• Premium Member

Length of ride is NO way to decide NOT to wear a helmet!

• Premium Member

In my experience its the full face helmet not any glasses I have worn under it that affect my peripheral vision.

Always safety sunglasses though! Some issue with stuff blowing around glasses but usually just on more windy days.

Just use around town to help stay cooler having visor up. As soon as get any serious speed or duck out on the highway always drop the visor down!

Always wear a helmet!

• 2 weeks later...
martyinaustin
I just got back from a ride and what a difference these safety glasses make. At low speeds I had this feeling of confidence like no other eye wear I've ever used before. It felt like my eyes were almost totally protected, like the feeling goggles provide. You can just tell because of the foam they are flush against your face in all the right places to stop any bugs from going underneath and into an eye. I believe the wind, at speed, helps to push them into your face for a better seal. I felt so confident with them I jumped on the highway and kicked it up to 95 and no wind was blasting me in the eyes. You could feel a little from the sides but it was minimal and you want some fresh air there anyways. An educated guess would say only dust would come in from there. It's probably the best $12 I ever spent. I can't say that they provide 100% peripheral vision, it's probably more like around 80% but after I get some good convex mirrors I won't worry about the missing 20% vision at the rear. If anyone is having trouble with watery eyes from wind try these. They ain't purdy but they work. 
https://www.amazon.com/Global-Vision-Outfitter-Motorcycle-Glasses/dp/B000NOKNKA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1469193315&sr=8-16&keywords=motorcycle%20safety%20glasses&tag=vglnk-c2435-20

BTW, I did try to put a full face helmet on over goggles today at my Yamaha dealership but that was a "No-go". The chin part won't slide  over the goggles and they didn't work on the outside of the helmet either. They didn't sit on the face at all.
i took the plunge and scored a pair of these babies...got the ones that transform from clear to smoke.  while i look like a total stooge with them on w/out the helmet, under the helmet and riding these are by far the best motorcycle shades i've ever had.  they provide so much face coverage i felt like i was nearly wearing googles, but the little side windows actually help a little!  not sure how well they'll fight very bright sun in the end, but dang...best $35 i've spent all week!

martyinaustin

Yep! They ain't purdy but they do work! Mine are dark enough for most sunny days but I have my interior shaded, flippy-down visor for back-up just in case. I'm still leery about riding around with the face shield up at speeds over 35 or so for fear of the big, flying bugs that feel like rocks hitting the face around the glasses. Then there's the splatter to deal with as well.  (puke)

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
martyinaustin 
Yep! They ain't purdy but they do work! Mine are dark enough for most sunny days but I have my interior shaded, flippy-down visor for back-up just in case. I'm still leery about riding around with the face shield up at speeds over 35 or so for fear of the big, flying bugs that feel like rocks hitting the face around the glasses. Then there's the splatter to deal with as well.  (puke)
In the last week I've had a cicada, junebug, and countless gnats fly into my helmet through the open visor. Let me tell you, I thought I got shot when that cicada hit my cheek. Also had a gnat work its way into my ear, that was fun while trying to get over to the side to stop and fish it out.  

martyinaustin 
In the last week I've had a cicada, junebug, and countless gnats fly into my helmet through the open visor. Let me tell you, I thought I got shot when that cicada hit my cheek. Also had a gnat work its way into my ear, that was fun while trying to get over to the side to stop and fish it out.  
That's what I'm talking about, those June Bugs are one of my worst enemies, other than birds. I've had one bird (a rarity) in my lifetime hit me right in the eye when I was 17, dumb and not wearing eye protection. It felt like I got hit by a 90 mph. fast ball and I barely made it to the side of the road without wrecking because both eyes teared up instantly at 40 mph. That was not a good day in my history of riding.

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
That's what I'm talking about, those June Bugs are one of my worst enemies, other than birds. I've had one bird (a rarity) in my lifetime hit me right in the eye when I was 17, dumb and not wearing eye protection. It felt like I got hit by a 90 mph. fast ball and I barely made it to the side of the road without wrecking because both eyes teared up instantly at 40 mph. That was not a good day in my history of riding.
On the very first ride of my very first bike purchase a few years, I was riding my new to me bike home. Bombing through neighborhoods at a brisk pace of 35mph (it was so fast to me at the time I couldn't believe it was only 35 haha). I watched a large flying grasshopper come out of the front of someone's yard from my periphery, tracked it the entire 20 second flight, ended up hitting me square in the forehead. It made an audible smack/splat noise like a rock hitting a car's windshield. This was before I had any gear, was taking the bike back to my garage a whole 2.3 miles away. I had a bruise on my forehead for a week and a half. 

ChicagoAJ

lol! I grew up (some) in Alabama where those suckers were like armored and giant! They hurt even when just riding a bicycle and that tobacco juice when they splattered, ugh!

Beemer

martyinaustin

...and it's now dragon fly season down here in Austin area...so it's like freakin' hummingbirds exploding on my helmet. i took a shot right above my visor and right on the chin bar...soooo close to mouth zone...

Archived