The MT-07 Forum

FZ vs SV?

lovakhan

I noticed my neighbor just got an SV and immediatley thought it was a good looking bike. Thne i ran into this today. What do you guys think?

I believe the video was posted on this forum before. I've already watched it and I agree its about preference. You cant go wrong either way.

bigdaddybane

It comes down to personal preference and taste, IMO SV650 is a good looking bike but that exhaust ... damn it's ugly. One more thing, the space between front wheel and engine is way too wide ... you can fit Grom in there.

the gap is for landing precision wheelies over prone "volunteers" so that the bike comes to rest with their head between tire and down-pipe.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I think we've seen it already but I think the Yamaha is the King of the Hill and all others are trying to take it's crown.

Beemer

Good looking bike and I wouldn't mind owning one. Any little details like an ugly exhaust can easily be fix with an aftermarket one which most people change out. I'm sure they knew that when it was designed. But different strokes for different folks :)

Greatness

• Premium Member

If you're deciding between the two then go and see them in person and try sitting in both and see which you feel more comfortable on.

Feature set (esp. for the money) it's FZ hands down (says the guy with 2.9 Gen1 SV650s).

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

My GF just got a 2017 SV-650. Both that and my FZ-07 are in my driveway, because she is keeping it here for now. I have ridden the SV-650 quite a bit and I it is an incredibly smooth, linear, and nimble. the FZ engine has more character, but the SV engine feels more refined. So I completely agree with the reviews that have been posted on YouTube. You really can't make a wrong choice with either bike. It just comes down to which one you like better and what type of engine you want.

My GF just got a 2017 SV-650. Both that and my FZ-07 are in my driveway, because she is keeping it here for now. I have ridden the SV-650 quite a bit and I it is an incredibly smooth, linear, and nimble. the FZ engine has more character, but the SV engine feels more refined. So I completely agree with the reviews that have been posted on YouTube. You really can't make a wrong choice with either bike. It just comes down to which one you like better and what type of engine you want.
Its in your driveway, huh?  Hello... pics? 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I saw an SV at a shop last week. I like it, but I'm not gonna trade the FZ in on one. :) I was chatting with a salesman about it, and he fired it up. It sounds great (especially for a stock exhaust)!
Hopefully this competition will push both companies to improve the bikes, then we all win.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

I saw an SV at a shop last week. I like it, but I'm not gonna trade the FZ in on one. :) I was chatting with a salesman about it, and he fired it up. It sounds great (especially for a stock exhaust)! Hopefully this competition will push both companies to improve the bikes, then we all win.

One of my neighbors has an 09 SV650 with an aftermarket exhaust.  I hate to say it, but it sounds better than an FZ07 with an aftermarket.  Don't know what about it makes it sound better, but it just does.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I hate to say it, but it sounds better than an FZ07 with an aftermarket.  Don't know what about it makes it sound better, but it just does.

Volume, not dB. aka displacement of the headers and can which effect timber and pulse timing.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I actually got my FZ07 after that video was posted, so though I'm an FZ owner now, I had no bias then. I looked at other reviews for the SV650 as well, and how it's smoother and more tame... basically synonymous words to "boring" in my opinion. Though I'm sure it's a fantastic bike (especially for beginners) and there will be GSXR mods you can do to it, it was hard to say no to the playful nature of the FZ and that sound. So after looking at the two, I went with the FZ07, and I'm extremely happy with my choice. It just looks so much better too. Really not a fan of the SV650s looks, but at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference. Can't wait for more comparison videos though!

Archived