The MT-07 Forum

Anyone sticking with stock exhaust?

xplane

I didn't mind the stock exhaust when I had it. It helped me to hear scooters riding next to me in my blind spots easier. Lol.

The truth is, I would probally still have the stock if I didn't get such a good price on my Akra TI. I didn't have any issues with the stock, but the mod bug made me do it. I hate the mod bug!!!

Guest ChicagoAJ
I will be leaving my exhaust stock until it rots off the bike. Then I will either TIG weld something nice together with stainless steel, or buy a titanium exhaust. 
As I live in the rust capital of the planet I give it another 3-4 years.
My stock system got a pretty deep scratch on the header in the first couple weeks of me having the bike. It started to rust a couple months after that - it might happen quicker than you think especially with no protection.  
@simbadc650 - does it bounce though? Hahah.

Guest 2wheeler

So I posted on here about handling first, then maybe an exhaust...

I was on a trip this weekend when I got passed by a bike with loud pipes. Got to tell you - I heard that bike long before it passed me. This was with me going 70-75 in a F150 with the windows rolled up. BTW, it was a Jap bike, not a Harley with drag pipes.

I read too many of the pissing matches on this and other forums as to whether loud pipes save lives. Honestly, that was one of the arguments that I really didn't give a poop about. This incident got my attention - literally. I'm totally rethinking not if I am going with a pipe, but how soon.

If having a loud pipe prevents you from having someone pull in front of you even once, it was obviously well worth it.

Guest ChicagoAJ
So I posted on here about handling first, then maybe an exhaust... 
I was on a trip this weekend when I got passed by a bike with loud pipes. Got to tell you - I heard that bike long before it passed me. This was with me going 70-75 in a F150 with the windows rolled up. BTW, it was a Jap bike, not a Harley with drag pipes.

I read too many of the pissing matches on this and other forums as to whether loud pipes save lives. Honestly, that was one of the arguments that I really didn't give a poop about. This incident got my attention - literally. I'm totally rethinking not if I am going with a pipe, but how soon.

If having a loud pipe prevents you from having someone pull in front of you even once, it was obviously well worth it.

I was in the same situation not too long ago. I saw a post here saying a loud pipe won't do anything for people in front of you - I know for a fact that's completely wrong. I hear loud pipes coming up from behind me when I'm in my car all the time. Sometimes a good 1/4 mile behind me. 

After an incident with a neighbor's motorcycle which I won't mention again since it sparked a "beat an old horse" debate, I've been pondering about removing my 2 year old Yoshi and reverting back to stock. Yes, I'm still pondering. Its been a few months now. But truthfully I haven't had much time to ride the FZ07.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member
I've definitely heard some pipes in freeway traffic at 70+ mph speed but I think they are amazing when I'm in my car and I hear bikers coming up behind me while splitting lanes in slow moving freeway traffic (I live in Los Angeles). It definitely gets my attention and I always look to see where the motorcycle is coming from.  

The nice thing about the stock exhaust is stealth.. you can bomb backroads and not attract attention. With the Akra, they'll hear you coming from a mile away ;)
EXACTLY, less chance for a ticket. It's always less risky to go for stealth than showing off :) 

I will be leaving my exhaust stock until it rots off the bike. Then I will either TIG weld something nice together with stainless steel, or buy a titanium exhaust. 
As I live in the rust capital of the planet I give it another 3-4 years.
My stock system got a pretty deep scratch on the header in the first couple weeks of me having the bike. It started to rust a couple months after that - it might happen quicker than you think especially with no protection.  
@simbadc650 - does it bounce though? Hahah.
The rust monster started to eat mine in the fall. We salt our roads, and live right on the ocean. So the dirty red cancer is inevitable. I still give it a good 3-4 years before it is full rust, and probably another few years after that for it to completely rot off. After that I am thinking Akra Ti.

THE two practical advantages of a decent aftermarket exhaust is lighter weight ( and therefore improved handling) and cornering clearance.

If you don't NEED either of those leave the stocker on. Tiny increase in power and torque, which is necessary on a racetrack and not much else, especially as you need to reflash/fuel mod it to get real improvements anyway.
Any other reasons are personal preference ( looks, sound , desperate need to change everything in sight, etc).
If you commute on the bike, not really any point in aftermarket exhaust ( except it might help you recognize your bike if there are a few others of the same make and colour in the parking lot).
If you tour, unless you need to optiomize weight, no real point either.
NOTE: This is coming from someone who modifies EVERYTHING!

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
THE two practical advantages of a decent aftermarket exhaust is lighter weight ( and therefore improved handling) and cornering clearance. 
If you don't NEED either of those leave the stocker on. Tiny increase in power and torque, which is necessary on a racetrack and not much else, especially as you need to reflash/fuel mod it to get real improvements anyway.
Any other reasons are personal preference ( looks, sound , desperate need to change everything in sight, etc).
If you commute on the bike, not really any point in aftermarket exhaust ( except it might help you recognize your bike if there are a few others of the same make and colour in the parking lot).
If you tour, unless you need to optiomize weight, no real point either.
NOTE: This is coming from someone who modifies EVERYTHING!
I agree. Tweaking a bike for your personal taste is part of the fun for me. I changed mine for a (slightly) deeper tone, looks and weight.  The weight part is really just a silly carry over from my other obsession which is road bicycling.  I have a few under 14 lbs bikes and my current low weight winner is 12.9 lbs.  The looks part, well, I just really like the looks of the Akra Ti, with it's completely hidden side profile.  Oh yea... and I'm a Ti freak.  One of my bicycles is a Merlin Works CR 3/2.5 Ti that weighs in right at 15 lbs.  But that's just me. I'm like @gregjet  in that I too like to modify/customize things for my personal taste.  I haven't bought a pre-build road bicycle in years, because I'm never satisfied with the selection of parts from the factory.  I always buy a frame, then build it up with the components I want. I suppose I could do that with a motorcycle too, but that would be a much larger job!

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

now that i've calmed down and stopped being a societal menace: i have a loud exhaust and enjoy it.

ten years ago: stock exhaust was the only law i wasn't breaking.

i wonder how many of you stock-exhaust guys are criminals.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

He stock exhaust for me lasted about 3wks... Even as deaf as I am(95% hearing loss) I hated that industrial sewing machine sound the stock exhaust made... I went with Leo Vince...the shapes, angles, and the fact it's completely tucked into the bike helps keep damage down, the weight saving was my biggest reason for aftermarket exhaust...I only use the exhaust baffle when the ole lady rides with me...and I have yet to hear anything that ( twin cylinder wise) soothes the soul with its symphony...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

To me, all you get out of exhaust only is looks and sound. But then sound sometimes gets old after a while, pisses off neighbors, attracts cops and tickets, and exhaust alone does not add much if any actual "Useable" HP or TQ. I loved the nasty sound of my FZ-09, but there were so many times that I wished that I had the stocker back.

topazsparrow

I opened up my stock exhaust by using a hole cutter on the inner pipe.

Sounds good enough to my ears to leave as is for now. Much deeper growl in the low RPM's. Not much change mid to high - which suits me just fine for stealth back road bombing.

• Premium Member

Yep. Sticking with the stock exhaust. I spent my $ on suspension instead.  8-)

Archived