The MT-07 Forum

Anyone sticking with stock exhaust?

xplane

How many of you are still running stock exhaust? I was happy the previous owner kept the stock exhaust. I don't like loud bikes/cars anymore and I think the engine it self sounds great.

Guest ChicagoAJ

I thought the stock exhaust sounded great too, then I heard what this bike sounds like with an actual exhaust on it. Let me tell you, it's much better than stock.

Guest 2wheeler

I'm in the "handling before exhaust" camp. The fork springs are on the way. Next is going to be the Ohlins shock followed by a set of Pirelli Angel GTs. If the Ohlins make the forks seem overly crappy, I'll go with a cartridge.

As I just sent my ECU to Nels, and have done the R6 mod as well as removing my snorkel, it's easy to leave the exhaust for last as the bike will run decent even if it sounds like a sewing machine - it's not really that bad. Who knows, maybe I'll stay with the stock exhaust.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Too lazy to hassle repacking..
Literally no one repacks (except @motomeek). I've seen bikes with 30k miles on the same Alrapovic muffler packing from their factory. Might make sense to some, but I don't plan on repacking my Akra unless it either starts sounding awful or starts coming out. 

Still got the stocker on mine. Aftermarket is too expensive for me. Removing the intake snorkel was free and satisfies my need for noise.

I'm keeping the stock exhaust. I use the bike mainly for commuting and I don't get home from work until around 1am. And I actually like my neighbors so I don't want to roll up in the middle of the night with some loud bike waking up babies and making dogs bark.

And call me crazy, but I feel like the more I ride, the louder the stock exhaust is getting.  Is that possible?

• Global Moderator

I am happy with the stock exhaust. And I save $1.000.

bigdaddybane

I love my Yoshi and I won't go back but honestly I sometimes miss the stock exhaust on those long trips ....

• Premium Member

Stock is fine with me... I don't need another miniscule amount of power and the potential hassles--I've FAST toys. And, LOUD doesn't do it for me. A-OK as is!!! (I did paint the exhaust COVER... does that count? Hehehehe!!!)

I'm keeping the stock exhaust. I use the bike mainly for commuting and I don't get home from work until around 1am. And I actually like my neighbors so I don't want to roll up in the middle of the night with some loud bike waking up babies and making dogs bark.  
And call me crazy, but I feel like the more I ride, the louder the stock exhaust is getting.  Is that possible?
  +1  I take the same route to work everyday around the same time.  So the less cars I piss off the better.  

I keep my stock exhaust on and I don't plan on changing it at all. Same as pattybags, I feel like it sounds louder and louder the more I ride it. I'm fine not splitting my eardrums. Also, stock exhaust is built specifically for the bike. After markets I've seen last about 7 years at most before needing maintenance, but I've seen 1970s bikes with stock exhausts in practically perfect condition (in terms of them working). Stock are meant to last on its bike, after markets don't live as long

Guest Ralph

Yep I'm staying with the stocker I do have a noisy bike a Morini it sounds great
but it can get tiring on long runs you also have to tiptoe through sleepy villages
or upset people with the 07 you can ride through at any speed and no one notices.
A mate recons mine is getting more noisy and he could be right but it is still one
of the quietest bikes I have had, I like quiet but not the look or weight, the wife
on seeing it for the first time asked if the dealer had made the silencer himself
and gave the opinion he had not made a very good job of it.

I'm in the "handling before exhaust" camp. The fork springs are on the way. Next is going to be the Ohlins shock followed by a set of Pirelli Angel GTs. If the Ohlins make the forks seem overly crappy, I'll go with a cartridge. 
As I just sent my ECU to Nels, and have done the R6 mod as well as removing my snorkel, it's easy to leave the exhaust for last as the bike will run decent even if it sounds like a sewing machine - it's not really that bad. Who knows, maybe I'll stay with the stock exhaust.

If you're over 175lbs stiffer springs would be ideal, an alternative to cartridges should you go that way, is Cogent Dynamics DDC drop in valves. These have actually been developed model specific, no fuss installation. Have a look before you decide.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I'm sticking with the stock exhaust. I agree it's unattractive and I've been tempted by the golden Yoshi pipes but most of the time I like a quiet ride. My cruiser has a deep loud growl so I can get my fix from it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator
I'm sticking with the stock exhaust. I agree it's unattractive and I've been tempted by the golden Yoshi pipes but most of the time I like a quiet ride. My cruiser has a deep loud growl so I can get my fix from it.
The yoshi with the baffle is still pretty quiet though ;)

Come on hippie
you know you wants itt

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

In answer to you question, for me, no.
I've got an Akra Ti with baffle in, and it is, for me, the perfect solution to someone who wants a little more growl, but doesn't want to wake the neighbors.
If you are after absolute quietest though, stay stock.

Why can't left turners see us?

ninjaiceberg

I'm sticking with the stock exhaust for now. I commute with the bike and I can't really justify getting an exhaust for it. I'd like a louder bike, but that's not enough of an argument for it. And I'm trying to eke out as much mpg as possible. Who knows though, in the future I might just pull the trigger.

bmwpowere36m3

The nice thing about the stock exhaust is stealth.. you can bomb backroads and not attract attention. With the Akra, they'll hear you coming from a mile away ;)

I like my stealth stocker. I've had loud pipes and I'm over it. I appreciate a nice growl, but I like my hearing and my neighbors.

I wear earplugs for the wind noise and still can hear the stock pipe. I'm fine with it.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

I will be leaving my exhaust stock until it rots off the bike. Then I will either TIG weld something nice together with stainless steel, or buy a titanium exhaust.

As I live in the rust capital of the planet I give it another 3-4 years.

Archived