The MT-07 Forum

Sound normal to you all?

motocr

Video of some sounds from my 07, hate to be a hypocondriac about things on my bike however these are new to me. Mainly the concerning sounds for me are around the 0:19 - 0:26 and  1:19-1:30 period on the video,The first sounds like frame flex to me, the second while letting off the gas you can hear the creaking sort of sound and when I give it gas it winds up to more of an electric sort of sound I still hear these when riding around town, highway, 10 miles an hour.

CAUTION LOUD!

Hard to get the video to play, but that's because of Comcast. I heard it, but I don't know that "frame flex" makes any sound at all. That weird sound made me think of brake pads though, right away, just like I dropped them on the floor a lot and really fast. Frame flex you should feel more than hear, you would surely feel it. Have you or someone else worked on the bike recently? It's something loose? What looks like the exhaust is just a vanity shroud that's bolted on to the actually exhaust. That might rattle like that. Good luck with this one.

Hard to get the video to play, but that's because of Comcast. I heard it, but I don't know that "frame flex" makes any sound at all. That weird sound made me think of brake pads though, right away, just like I dropped them on the floor a lot and really fast. Frame flex you should feel more than hear, you would surely feel it. Have you or someone else worked on the bike recently? It's something loose? What looks like the exhaust is just a vanity shroud that's bolted on to the actually exhaust. That might rattle like that. Good luck with this one.
I call it "Frame flex" because it is what it sounds like when metal tubes start flexing before breaking, been in very windy areas under steel structures and it sounds like that. It is not brakes as I was using engine breaking or holding the gas steady when it happens and in a turn so using brakes is a no no. The only issue I have had with the bike was in a recent post where my chain was rubbing the guide, these noises happened right around the same time. The exhaust shroud is tight and not moving.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

your phone farkle is rattling around.

-HowWorkClutch

your phone farkle is rattling around.
nope, its ubolted down where I cant force it to move without a hammer, uses rubber coated balls for connecting to the ubolt and phone holder so not that, and I ride without the phone mount portion just the ublot and still hear them. The red and black pieces are also rubber tethers no noise.

Guest Ralph

Hard to tell but mine seems to make some of noise from the front end
this seems to get amplified by the tank tupperware it seems to have got
less with a tyre change and I don't notice it with ear plugs.
I always ride with plugs but forgot one time and was surprised how
much noise you can get.

bmwpowere36m3

Could be something "loose" that's rattling... one or two front fender bolts was loose on my bike. Seemed to go away once I tightened it. Another member (@Rick) reported the radiator/mount connection is sloppy and he fixed it with an o-ring.

I'd start my going over the bike carefully and make sure all hardware is tight.

Just sounds to me like something is flapping around in the wind. Check the easiest and most likely things first.

Beemer

one weird ticking sound for sure. Just gonna take some detective work to make sure everything you can put your hands on is properly tight. Grab and wiggle, tap on plastic bits, put your hands on everything you can reach. Someone had the radiator overflow bottle actually fall off when the bike was relatively new.

Forget this frame flex theory. Unless the frame is cracked or a weld was done super poorly, it's not gonna make any noise.

Do you have crash bungs bolted to the upper motor mounts? If so, retorque them.

I have a small rattling sound as well when I ride as well. I think it might be the radiator, because it does have some wiggle to it.

I got a similar sound that seems to come by the front end. I realized it's appening in each gear at 3-4k rpm.

I didn't found anything loose in the front end, I think it might be the chain. We I hear the sound and at the same time I pass by a wall or something like that it amplifies the same sound and I can hear it coming from the left side of the bike.

I usually ride with earbuds now so I don't care about it anymore, otherwise every minute I hear something strange and I'm getting paranoid.

• Premium Member

Hard to tell I cant hear the noise as you describe it, sounds to me like a piece of something flapping around. Perhaps a piece of tape or plastic bag etc stuck and fluttering inside the fender? I dunno, as others have suggested give everything a good wiggle and take a "screwdriver" to everything

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I got a similar sound that seems to come by the front end. I realized it's appening in each gear at 3-4k rpm.  
I usually ride with earbuds now so I don't care about it anymore, otherwise every minute I hear something strange and I'm getting paranoid.
You gotta remember that in each subsequent higher gear, at the same engine speed, the chain is moving faster.  
Earplugs are, in a word, good! 

Archived