The MT-07 Forum

So I got behind a couple of Harley's yesterday...

howworkclutch

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

and I just can't fckin stand to hear them any more. Look at my icon: thats me burning out the rear tire of a H-D Sportster. 

I used to love the sound of Fartley-Davidsons, but after having the Akra-Ti on this bike (I am baffle-intolerant btw), I just can't stand the sound of those old tractor engines straining under the load of their own antiquated valve-train.

I also used to like the sound of a screaming inline-4, but those days are just plain over.

I fckn love this fz07. It sounds RIGHT.

-HowWorkClutch

Hardly-Ableson is what we like to call them.

They sound like a poorly tuned boat engine. Slow, heavy, overpriced, chromed out piles of garbage.

• Premium Member

The motor design is rather primitive. But also extremely simple, which can be a good thing.

Everything went braap.

AlbatrossCafe

I used to have a

before this bike. It depends on my mood. I like the sound of a big V-twin sometimes. For slow cruising I think they sound good. WOT sound is "Ok" but the RPM range is too short. Either way they are WAY too loud when behind them.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Had a guy on a 106 cubic inch bagger literally try to race me thinking he was hot sh*t. Needless to say at the next light he wouldn't even look in my direction. No idea what he was thinking. But I agree, they sound like complete crap. I live across the street from a bar and every damn morning at 3am someone who works there starts up his carbed POS revving it and re-starting it at least 4-5 times before he's actually able to leave the lot.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Field sobriety test for HD riders:

Stand test subject behind one HD and one FZ07. Neither bike shall have baffles. Allow subject to hear a quick BRAP from each. Ask subject which sounds best.

If subject indicates a preference for the sound of the Harley: Subject is obviously drunk and should be arrested.

-HowWorkClutch

Seems like it's the aftermarket exhausts that make them sound particularly terrible. Most HD's sound like they run on Taco Bell.

It's particularly egregious since there are many V-twins that sound fantastic (SV1000, most Ducatis).

twowheeladdict
Stand test subject behind one HD and one FZ07. Neither bike shall have baffles. Allow subject to hear a quick BRAP from each. Ask subject which sounds best.

If subject indicates a preference for the sound of the Harley: Subject is obviously drunk and should be arrested.

I would say they both sound like craps and need the stock exhaust back on.

Now the intake sound of a Concours 1400 or triumph triple is a nice sound.

All I hear when I ride my Harley is the road because I am not a 'look at me everyone!'  Attention seeker.

2015 FZ-07

God bless, you've seen the light. I agree, when you know bikes you know the bad-ass sound of an FZ-07 isn't put-on, either. What I've come to find in 'almost' every Harley is that the loud blaaaaap from the pipes during acceleration is all bark and no bite. Every Hardly rider that thought they had something to prove when I pulled next to them at a light did nothing but embarrass themselves when they hit the gas hard as the light changed. I didn't race them mind you, I just watched as they whipped that "antiquated" pack mule to go fast and produced nothing but a lot of noise. If I ever switch over to a cruiser I may go for a Victory but I know my heart would say (despite the price) get the bike with the V-4 symphony, the Yamaha V-max. (Even a good, used one)

Beemer

Or maybe he's just a typical, stubborn Hardly rider and refuses to admit the truth so that he can justify having a Hardly ... in which case he should still be arrested AND slapped upside the head for lying. Woot!  :D

Beemer

am i the only person that thinks the fz07 with ti akra and NO baffle sounds like absolute dog sh!t? i didn't even make it 2 miles before turning around to put the baffle back in. with the baffle in, it is IMO one of the best sounding bikes/exhaust on the road

am i the only person that thinks the fz07 with ti akra and NO baffle sounds like absolute dog sh!t? i didn't even make it 2 miles before turning around to put the baffle back in. with the baffle in, it is IMO one of the best sounding bikes/exhaust on the road

You're not, then again I am not a fan of loud engines when it comes to motorcycles. Too much hearing damage from work and being a mechanic.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I ran my Akra Carbon for 20 feet before I stopped and put the baffle back in. Couldn't stand it out. I love how the idle is semi-quiet with the baffle in when a quick wrist flick and BRRRAAAAPPPPP. Definitely takes people off guard.  

I loved mine with and without the baffle. The akra ti is the tits either way.

Guest ChicagoAJ
How much of a difference is there between the carbon and the titanium?
There's not much of a difference between any of them sound-wise with the baffles removed, I learned that when I tried to decide on what to buy when watching YouTube videos of sound clips, they all sound identical. The biggest difference will be what they allow the bike to put out horsepower wise. The Akra Ti is the best flowing and will give the biggest gains according to 2WDW.  
I read about problems with the Yoshi system, found an Akra Carbon for cheap ($685) and went with that. I wanted a good brand, not a knock off GP style one. I'm happy with it. 

Guest ChicagoAJ
Yeah I love my Akra Carbon. Always wondered how they differed.
Only big difference with the Carbon vs almost all other systems is the loop in the exhaust. Almost every other system is straight out the back, obviously this adds more length to the pipe, but it definitely isn't the easiest way the exhaust could leave the pipe. 

I loved mine with and without the baffle. The akra ti is the tits either way.
It's hard to envision that pipe when you put it like that.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Supposedly the loop is beneficial for various flow/velocity reasons. @gregjet illuminated upon a while ago, I forgot the specifics.

Everything went braap.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Supposedly the loop is beneficial for various flow/velocity reasons. @gregjet illuminated upon a while ago, I forgot the specifics.
It's to retain the same length of pipe as the stock exhaust (I guess to mimic the big chambered muffler) so a tune for it is unnecessary - according to Akrapovic anyway. My bike ran awful when solely adding this exhaust, definitely lost a decent amount of power too and had a lot of afterfire. 

I have the Akra Ti, there are times when I'm not in the mood for loud sound without the baffle, but most of the time I love it. Thinking about grinding my baffle a bit to make it easier to put in and out.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

double-yellow for approximately 38 million miles.

-HowWorkClutch

How much of a difference is there between the carbon and the titanium?
There's not much of a difference between any of them sound-wise with the baffles removed, I learned that when I tried to decide on what to buy when watching YouTube videos of sound clips, they all sound identical. The biggest difference will be what they allow the bike to put out horsepower wise. The Akra Ti is the best flowing and will give the biggest gains according to 2WDW.  
I read about problems with the Yoshi system, found an Akra Carbon for cheap ($685) and went with that. I wanted a good brand, not a knock off GP style one. I'm happy with it. 
What problems with Yoshi exhaust?
And where did you read it made more power?
When I talked to them they said the best exhaust was the Yoshi, it has a cross pipe and stepped tubing.

Guest ChicagoAJ
What problems with Yoshi exhaust? And where did you read it made more power?
When I talked to them they said the best exhaust was the Yoshi, it has a cross pipe and stepped tubing.
http://fz07.org/thread/2625/fz-07-flash-dyno-charts 
You can find all the dyno charts there for our bike with the different exhausts and the flash from 2WDW. 

I read a few reviews of people saying they had a problem with their db killers on their Yoshi systems. I got the Akra Carbon for nearly the same price, so it wasn't that big of deal to me. 

So the Yoshi got 72.52 hp and 51.35 tq baffle in.
Akra got 72.75hp and 51.75tq baffle in.
Splitting hairs much aren't we, that is well within error margin of one beating the other.

Archived