The MT-07 Forum

Which windscreen is best for freeway travel?

attackcat109

attackcat109
Let me start by saying that I am going to uni soon and now have to take the freeway to school. Its about maybe 30-40 minutes of travel and wind never really bothered me, its watching your mpg go from 60 to like 35 because you are a giant wall with no real useful aerodynamic properties. I've seen versions of touring and sport screens and while none of them really make the bike look better (I think - I'm more of a hands on guy and won't know till I actually see it on my bike), I care more about keeping that mpg up.

Looking around I see reviews, but no one decides to ever give numbers with their evaluation, just "feels". While this is useful for people who don't like the wind buffet, I never really notice it since my first bike had a similar issue.

For reference, I'm 6' and was looking at these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/national-cycle-vstream-sport-windscreen-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016?utm_source=turnto&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=answer
and want to know if you guys had any light to shine on this. Maybe the touring version is better for this, idk. :-/

• Global Moderator

Take a look at the "tall" touring screen reviews and you'll get a grasp of the drawbacks of windscreens on the FZ

all of the screens for our bike have quite a bit.of floppyness due to the way it mounts to our headlamp and the way the hwadlamp is mounted.

If only there were a full sized metal screen that worked well and mounted securely

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

attackcat109

I found people talking about the tallest of the 3 like that, but couldn't find anything like this on the sport and middle sized versions. Do they still retain this floppy property?

If you're more concerned about mpg, one thing I've found that saves me from having to fill up twice in one day due to my long commute, is draft behind a semi or a mini van. It saves me about 15-25mpg esp. on those windy days. There have been many days where my gas gauge starts blinking as I'm pulling into my garage but I've got it dialed in so that it rarely happens now. The hard part is having the patience to sit in the slow lane going 60mph.

If on the other hand you're more about function over appearance, then take a look at the madstad shield. I clean that thing full of bugs every morning which makes me glad that I got it over a fly screen.

If you're worried about it slowing you down or being 'floppy', I can assure you my afternoon commute is the complete opposite of my morning commute.

I have a puig touring windscreen. I don't really notice any 'floppyness' and my fuel economy is around 48mpg, although that number seems to be climbing now that I have an ejk installed with my yosh.

• Global Moderator

My sport givi and both sport/touring puig were like this.
Im not sure about the rest, but i can onlt assume so because they all mount to the top of our headlamp, which is itsself mounted only by 2 bolts up top to the top tree, and on the bottom by a rubber guide that moves quite easily

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I have a puig touring screen and travel 1 hour on the freeway doing 70-80 mph and 20 minutes normal roads 5 days a week. I average 52 mpg. The screen is perfect, keeps the wind off my chest and not much wobble.

I have an Ermax, 39 cm windscreen and at highway speeds it keeps the wind off my chest pretty well which is all I wanted it to do. It doesn't flop around either. I also like how it looks, comes in different colors AND I can take my Frogg Toggs rain suit (rolled up) and stuff it behind it and it doesn't go anywhere. 

<<< see!  :o

Beemer

Guest Ralph

This is a 38cm Power Bronze screen it doesn't look that big compared with a most screens
I have had but there's no buffeting, some of the others on other bikes have knocked my head
all over the place can't remember what the 07 is like without it as it's been on since new
and a long time since I rode the demo bike.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee111/G7ied/Bikes/975b82ba-7062-46c9-be12-cf630b988562_zpsp15yj9pf.jpg

Does Not move or vibrate on the bike, keeps bugs off the instruments and stuff and handy to stick your gloves
behind when stopped.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an Ermax, 39 cm windscreen and at highway speeds it keeps the wind off my chest pretty well which is all I wanted it to do. It doesn't flop around either. I also like how it looks, comes in different colors AND I can take my Frogg Toggs rain suit (rolled up) and stuff it behind it and it doesn't go anywhere.  

I have this screen as well. It doesn't move around one bit and in black, the bike looks a little bit like a Xenomorph from the front, haha. I can net more than 60 mpg with all freeway riding.

I have this screen as well. It doesn't move around one bit and in black, the bike looks a little bit like a Xenomorph from the front, haha. I can net more than 60 mpg with all freeway riding.
A Xenomorph, ha! I never thought of that but I see the resemblance. Maybe I should name my bike Bitch???  

[attachment id=2021" thumbnail="1] "Get away from her you BITCH!!"  ;)

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...

I have the V stream sport/touring windscreen, and I like it a lot. It puts a little wind on the tip of my shoulders, but leaves my helmet in clean air at 85 mph (so far). The bike felt more stable at speed too, maybe because it was easier to relax my grip instead of struggling to stay on the bike.

It's wider than I expected but not obnoxious. The light smoke tint makes it kind of disappear.

It's also very stable in the wind and barely vibrates. It comes with hard plastic bushings to replace the rubber ones at the headlight bolts. Takes a lot of the slop out of the system.

+1 for the V Stream. I have the touring and the sport screen, both use the same mounting hardware.

I went out on a 6+ hour mountain highway ride today with the touring screen and it makes a BIG difference on rider fatigue. The touring screen is large but I can change it out in less than 5 minutes to the sport screen for shorter rides. It's fun to have options...just sayin'.

attackcat109

So, I'll make an update. I did actually get the V Stream blacked out sport version and as far as mpg goes it went up, but i don't remember the numbers (and I am too lazy to take it off to test it), sorry! However being 6ft even, the wind now comes up to my helmet, but as far as rider fatigue goes, I really don't notice a difference. Maybe riding something before that had no windscreen for 2 years I may have gotten used to it, but it doesn't affect how long or how far I can go TBH. Looks a little weird IMHO, but to me the substance over style approach feels right as I am going to have to do a lot more freeway commuting starting on the 29th.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231928594312?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=531143529675&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 
puig touring clone from china. 27 bucks. I have an authentic puig touring and this one. they are basically identicle
Thx for sharing, I think I'm gonna get one! :) do you happen to know if the black one is opaque or is it like the dark smoke of Puig? 
Thanks again!

Safe riding!

I think it is like the puig dark smoke but I wasn't certain either so i ordered clear.

Just received the dark one, it is like Puig's dark smoke, ??. Btw, how are the screws holding? Rusting or anything? Thanks!

Safe riding!

Yeah, I though about it just after posting it, hehe. Once I get the bike and install it, will tell you. ;)
Thanks for the quick answer!

Safe riding!

I don't know if they are the best but I put a Puig touring windshield on the wife's bike and it is an improvement. Looks pretty sharp in dark smoke. Its nice to have the windscreen to hunker down behind. Got one coming for my bike too.

I've had bad experiences ordering from China. They love to send defective stuff to Canadians knowing the high price of return shipping.

Archived