The MT-07 Forum

Dumb question

bigdaddybane

bigdaddybane

Long story short. I lost half of my tools in a recent move and now in process of removing stock mirrors assembly ... what's the wrench size for unscrewing that lower bolt?

Any help will be appreciated.

• Global Moderator

I just looked and a 17 mm fits it but has a bit of slack in it. I would have expected it to fit a bit more snugly.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I just looked and a 17 mm fits it but has a bit of slack in it. I would have expected it to fit a bit more snugly.
Maybe an SAE size would fit more snug?

• Global Moderator

I tried that but they were worse. I am sure it is metric. I tried two different 17 mm wrenches and they would both work, there was just more slack than I expected. 

Guest ChicagoAJ
I tried that but they were worse. I am sure it is metric. I tried two different 17 mm wrenches and they would both work, there was just more slack than I expected. 
I've actually encountered this a lot on this bike. Everything seems just slightly off on most nuts and bolts. However, the allen wrenches in the trunk fit everything near perfect, thank god they can be used to remove like 60% of things. 

bigdaddybane
Thanks so much!

Sounds like it might actually be 16mm. I actually own 16 and 18mm wrenches that were used on metric only vehicles. Why they use oddball sizes likethis, no one will ever know.

• Global Moderator

I could not get a 16 mm wrench on it. 17 mm did seem like an odd size (pardon the pun).

17 is actually a pretty std. metric size. It's rare to find 16s in most kits - 17s are always there.

If the 17 was loose and 16 too small, then it's just a crappy piece of hardware.

bigdaddybane
i took the easy way out and used an adjustable wrench.
I tried adjustable one. It works on the left side but not on the right ... it's way too tight, no space to actually grab the bolt. Maybe the adjustable wrench I have is way too big. 

• Premium Member

It's 17mm... I usually find there is slight tolerance differ between the brands on the market unless you make your own tools :(

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator
It's 17mm... I usually find there is slight tolerance differ between the brands on the market unless you make your own tools :(
Same... unless its a pro-grade tool (matco, snapon, etc) the tolerances in manufacturing vary greatly

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived