The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 at high elevation

maddawg

Hello everyone, new here. I've really been eyeing the 07 over the last year. My only concern is I live in Colorado at 5000 feet. Anyone in Colorado care to share their feelings on power output being so high up. I don't know anyone who owns one to test ride before I make a purchase. I've owned a few bikes including an r6 and now buell xb12. Both were/are great bikes but I miss having a yami (my first love) (don't want another superstore either) and the 07 just tickles my optical sensors perfectly and a test sit shows it fits well. So if anyone has any hooligan experience at higher elevation id appreciate any input you have.

• Premium Member

Welcome!

Don't live in Colorado, but I ride up a road here called Angeles Crest Highway that gets 5K+ in elevation. I don't think the elevation does anything to damper is performance if that's what you're asking.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

The lack of oxygen does damper performance a bit. Supposedly 20% power loss here. Wish I could take my bike back out to sea level just to feel how much is actually lost. But yes around 5000 feet how does it feel in your opinion. Just as snappy torque wise?

@motomeek I've actually noticed a significant power loss up at ACH. If you ever try pulling clutch up wheelies, it's really hard to bring it up the higher you go. I can snap up a 2nd gear wheelie no problem at base level. Trying to do the same up the mountain it's nearly impossible for me to get my front wheel more than a few inches off the ground using same method

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

I live in the Colorado high country (8500 feet) and my FZ-07 accelerates pretty strong. I ride almost exclusively in the mountains and the bike is a blast. I can't say what the performance difference is between my altitude and sea level but riding from Denver (5280 Feet) back up into the mountains, I don't notice much HP/torque difference.

If you are really concerned call your local dealers. Some will take you out for a test ride if you are a serious buyer. I test rode one the same day I purchased mine last month. I couldn't be happier with the bike even at altitude. 

P.S. I don't hooligan my bike (much) because I don't like tickets...lots of speed traps in the mountain towns.

• Premium Member

It's a fuel injected bike elevation or temps dont matter,it takes care of that automatically via sensors on bike... old school carburetor motors need to be re-jet for huge elevation change or local area

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Thanks for the input all. Zero the dealers in the springs don't allow test rides on anything "sport bike" related. How they do the "test ride" is you have to fully purchase said bike then you have about 30 minutes to try it out. If you don't like it then bring it back and they tear up the paperwork. That's tather annoying to me. Guess I'll just have to try and find someone local who wouldn't mind letting my take it around the block a couple times. How does it do for passing power on the highway? I'm not worried about wind blast, just ability to get around cars at 80mph.

• Premium Member

Passing at 80mph is easy..upgrade the suspension and the bike will not even be bothered by them semi truck wind wall blast..

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Passing at 80mph is easy..upgrade the suspension and the bike will not even be bothered by them semi truck wind wall blast..

Ok sweet, the suspension will get tweak eventually. I used to worry about having top notch suspension and power but that never stopped me from smacking the pavement. I'm really just after a fun commuter that I can hooligan up on an empty backroad on occasion. My need for super bike performance and handling is in the past. Low weight, fun bikes are what I prefer now and the 07 seems to fit the bill perfectly.

It's a fuel injected bike elevation or temps dont matter,it takes care of that automatically via sensors on bike... old school carburetor motors need to be re-jet for huge elevation change or local area
In the contrary my friend, it does matter a lot. I lived 12 years in Colorado springs, and every one of those years was with a motorcycle (Honda Magna 750 - Kawasaki ZRX1100 - Kawasaki Ninja ZX9R - Honda XR250 -  Honda XR650). I deducted a 25% loss of power to all gas power vehicles.
It work this way.
At higher altitude, where the oxygen is thinner, the oxygen sensor senses less oxygen going into the engine (compare to sea level). Due to this, the engine has to match the fuel mix with the oxygen. So the gas is then reduce to match the oxygen. So for less oxygen, you also have less gas. At about 25% less at 6000 feet.
This make the engine work less than at sea level.
The way I remedy to that situation was to get a bigger bike, or a bigger car.

It works the same for athletes. That is why the US Olympic training center is in Colorado springs.
Athletes train in an oxygen depraved area, forcing the body to produce more red cells to carry more oxygen to the muscles.
When back at sea level, those athletes can carry more sea level oxygen with that increase amount of red cell, and make the muscles work much harder (only works for a couple of weeks, then the red cell count decrease to sea level norms).

Thanks for the input all. Zero the dealers in the springs don't allow test rides on anything "sport bike" related. How they do the "test ride" is you have to fully purchase said bike then you have about 30 minutes to try it out. If you don't like it then bring it back and they tear up the paperwork. That's tather annoying to me. Guess I'll just have to try and find someone local who wouldn't mind letting my take it around the block a couple times. How does it do for passing power on the highway? I'm not worried about wind blast, just ability to get around cars at 80mph. 

Maybe you should consider test riding at a dealership in Denver? They don't do casual test rides either but will do one by appointment if you are a serious buyer. 
Power to pass is NOT an issue. You can roll on to 80+ MPH really quickly, even up steep grades on our mountain roads. The first time I passed a semi on a two lane highway I accelerated way past 80 without even realizing it. As long as you are not expecting supersport speed and handling, I doubt you'll be disappointed.  That is not a criticism of the FZ, just be realistic about your expectations of a sub $7000.00 bike. I know I have absolutely no regrets about buying this bike and love it every time I get her out to ride.

recurveshooter
Hi - I live in Boulder (5,000+ feet) and ride in the mountains as often as I can. Yes, up at 8,000 feet on the Peak to Peak Highway you will notice a decrease in power but it isn't substantial.... and besides, everyone else is losing power also! You are still faster than most everything around you.

I rode up to Breckenridge the other day and then came home over Loveland Pass (11,990'). The bike still had enough poop to make the switchbacks fun. Just be realistic with your expectations. - recurveshooter

p.s. - The formula I've always heard is you lose 3% of your power for each 1,000' above sea level. So in Boulder I'm about 15% down. On the Peak to Peak I'm about 24% down, and on top of Loveland I'm 36% down. For an engine making 65hp at the rear wheel that's a loss of 10, 16, and 23 hp.

I have had problems with the dealerships in the springs. I ended up going to feemont motors in florence to get my bike.

I really appreciate the input everyone. Sounds like the 07 is what I'm looking for overall. I'd hate to have to drive an hour to test ride one but I guess it could be worse. As far as expectations, in my mind I expect a lighter, smoother, less torquey version of my buell. And that's ok, the buell has the right speed hell cant get it past 118 indicated up here on a super long straight. But I just hate how the motor runs like crap till it's fully warmed up and that it just feels too heavy at slow speeds. The suspension is the only thing it really has going for it but I don't get to fully utilize it unless I was on a track. Then once it gets real warm it starts loosing power and the clutch gets soft which I find annoying.

• Premium Member
@motomeek I've actually noticed a significant power loss up at ACH. If you ever try pulling clutch up wheelies, it's really hard to bring it up the higher you go. I can snap up a 2nd gear wheelie no problem at base level. Trying to do the same up the mountain it's nearly impossible for me to get my front wheel more than a few inches off the ground using same method
Haha, I know about all about the thinner air at higher elevations, but then again I'm not pulling wheelies.  
Guess I'll have to go up there and try it to make sure  :P

Haha, I know about all about the thinner air at higher elevations, but then again I'm not pulling wheelies.  

If you do please tell us how it went. Power up versus clutch up too. Would make for an interesting experiment. Also how high does the wheel come up if it does.

• Premium Member
If you do please tell us how it went. Power up versus clutch up too. Would make for an interesting experiment. Also how high does the wheel come up if it does.
Haha, sorry @maddawg - I was joking. I can't wheelie. 

Haha, sorry @maddawg - I was joking. I can't wheelie. 

Bummer, well you could do it in the name of science lol, plus it would give you a chance to practice without the full grunt of the bike.

I live at 7200 feet and I am sure my performance suffers, although the bike is still very quick and I have never noticed any issues

I live in denver and haven't have any significant power loss. I even took it up to Mount Evans and it did really well up there. I didn't open throttle it but it had plenty of umph to get around the slower traffic. If youre ever in Denver lets go for ride. I'm always looking out for other FZ owners

I live in Falcon, CO just east of Colorado Springs and the elevation is about 7200ft. Bike still seems plenty quick to me but without riding at/near sea level I can't comment on the performance differences. Though obviously with less oxygen there will be less performance, but is it really that noticeable I can't say.

2016 FZ07 - LOVING IT!!
2003 R6 - SOLD
2006 FZ6 - SOLD

Guest Ralph

HP Loss = (elevation x 0.03 x horsepower @ sea level)/1000

Now, let’s also assume you have a 74-horsepower engine . The Horsepower Loss is going to be equal to 6000 times .03 times 74 divided by 1000 or a loss of 13.32 horsepower. That’s roughly an 18 % loss of power.

Or the easy way

http://www.wallaceracing.com/braking-hp.php

But dont forget every car or bike round you has lost the same percentage of power
unless they have a turbo or blower and they are likely heavier than you so will miss it more.

Ok sweet, the suspension will get tweak eventually. I used to worry about having top notch suspension and power but that never stopped me from smacking the pavement. I'm really just after a fun commuter that I can hooligan up on an empty backroad on occasion. My need for super bike performance and handling is in the past. Low weight, fun bikes are what I prefer now and the 07 seems to fit the bill perfectly.
Maybe not with as much confidence as a good upgraded suspension but it is doable or else I wouldn't have been doing hooligan acts on my stock suspension for the last year and a half. I suggest to get some use out of the stock suspension before dumping money into it. 

Beemer

Archived