The MT-07 Forum

Dirty or Clean oil. How to tell?

axelxl3mm

Hey guys, I've come about the issue of putting enough miles on my bike to were I would need an oil change, again. I did the first oil change about 1k miles, a little before. Now I have put almost 5k on the bike but as far as I can tell the oil still looks super clean. I've been checking on it since i hit 4k If it's clean why change it right. So my question is, is there a better way to tell than that stupid window. Like a make-shift dipstick or something? Has anyone run across this issue?

bigdaddybane

Just follow Yamaha's recommended lube and filter maintenance schedule ... the oil level indicator glass could be very misleading. The manual calls for your next oil change at 4K or 6 months so I think you're definitely past due. 

bmwpowere36m3

No, I either follow the manufacturer's recommendations, once a season or when shifting gets notchy... 3-5k depending on bike.

Oil is cheap... if you want to get scientific send a small sample for analysis.

You can tell if your oil is OK better by feel than look. Different oils are different colours and transparencies.
If you take out the dipstick and, with clean hands , rub a drop of oil between your fingers. If it feels slippery it is probably OK if it is draggy and/or gritty you probably should change it. Even then you should never go longer than manufacturers recommendations ( those come from the engineers not the sales department).
I use full synths and change no longer than 5000km ( but I don't put big nor hard miles on my bikes any more). You can pretty much forget time limits for full synths are they don't oxidize much at normal temperatures.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ralph

UK bike have 6k miles intervals so unless your oil is
worse than ours and I doubt it very much i would not
worry to much.

Archived