The MT-07 Forum

Removing bar end mirrors

morenga

Hi,

I just installed a pair of bar end mirrors from china. But on the first ride I noticed a big increase in bar vibration. So I changed my mind and want to remove these mirrors and use a Rhino motors adapter instead.

So I was wondering if anyone know how to remove the "expanding ring" that is stuck inside the bar?

These are the mirrors: Bar End Mirrors
Picture of the "expanding ring": Ring

W7m46RxW7m46RxThanks!

• Global Moderator

What you're seeing is actually well done inside the bar it's not a expanding ring it's just a threaded ring to hold the stock bar ends

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

If it's those rubber expanding rings you're talking about, good luck. I had those on my other bike and they were hell to get back out of the bar. I believe I took a screw with threads a little wider than the rubber's hole, screwed it in just a little bit, then used big pliers to yank it out. Wiggle it around at the same time. Try to find bar ends that use the metal expanders next time. They're much much easier to work with

Man, if you look at his pic he posted, it is a metal collar that crowns outward when expanded. So it looks like its a one way expansion where the metal strips are now flared out.. smh. I can't believe that is what they gave you for installation.

I don't know man, looks like it is aluminum so you have to just yank it out as best as you can. Try to unscrew the screw so it is no longer pushing out the flared ends, and try to grip that screw and pull out the entire thing.

Yet another ebay bar end mirror bites someone's hand.  Sorry buddy.

Man, if you look at his pic he posted, it is a metal collar that crowns outward when expanded. So it looks like its a one way expansion where the metal strips are now flared out.. smh. I can't believe that is what they gave you for installation. 
I don't know man, looks like it is aluminum so you have to just yank it out as best as you can. Try to unscrew the screw so it is no longer pushing out the flared ends, and try to grip that screw and pull out the entire thing.

Yet another ebay bar end mirror bites someone's hand.  Sorry buddy.

Yeah exactly, it's really stuck in there. But I suppose there is no shortcut to do this then. The mirrors isn't that bad and I would say that they are better than the stock ones. I would recommend these as long as you don't want to remove them of mind the vibration that appear after removing the weights.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. Now it's time to get rid of these chinese mirrors and get some legit ones.

So, when tightened, the screw pulls against the inner cylinder, expanding the outer sleeve. Can you loosen the screw, back it out a bit and then tap the back of it? Wouldn't that push the inner cylinder in the opposite direction and thereby decompressing the outer sleeve?

• Global Moderator

+1 to jerryv's recommendation
Put the screw back in, snug it up, back it off a few turns and smack it with something heavy

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

So, when tightened, the screw pulls against the inner cylinder, expanding the outer sleeve. Can you loosen the screw, back it out a bit and then tap the back of it? Wouldn't that push the inner cylinder in the opposite direction and thereby decompressing the outer sleeve?
It's absolutly worth a try! The outer sleeve will not decompress but with the screw out of the picture it shouldn't be too hard to pull the rest out. Thank you for the tip!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I did this same thing except one of the expanding fittings is smaller than the other provided. So not only can i not get it out but the other wont fit in the bar so i only have one mirror. I think it will have to be drilled out. I thought about getting the screw out and spraying a can of compressed air upside down in there in hopes of freezing it to where it contracts and comes out. We'll see. Total pain in the ass though. 

Has anyone tried heating up the bar a little to make it expand? I don't know if it's feasible, I've never tried it. Maybe something will melt??? Remove grips and heat? IDK.

thMZBR8VLM.jpg

Beemer

Just put the screw back in but don't tighten it all the way. And tap it with something inwards. Dont know of you already solve the problem but that'll work.

Archived