The MT-07 Forum

Bike Lurching

zsgrooms

Okay so here goes, I recently picked up a 2015 FZ-07 with about 2,400 miles about a month ago. It's now got roughly 2,900 miles. Got it for a pretty good deal because the guys wife was pregnant and she said the bike had to go. Well as of the past week I've noticed while in 3rd gear doing about 30-35 and holding it steady that the bike would almost lurch to say. It almost feels like it completely loses power. Now more recently as well the engine seems to shake a little more than it had. The only thing that has changed in between is me cleaning the chain and making sure its slack is correct. I didn't do that great of a job cleaning and lubbing because this is my first chain driven bike but it will be getting done again when my grunge brush comes in. So I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but it would be extremely helpful if anyone had some insight! I don't like my baby running poorly ?

After doing some more research I'm thinking it's because the chain is a bit loose. I've checked it a few times now and based on the manual it says it's correct but I really haven't been using the proper tools to do so. Newish bike to me and recently just moved and haven't moved all my tools with me.

After doing some more research I'm thinking it's because the chain is a bit loose. I've checked it a few times now and based on the manual it says it's correct but I really haven't been using the proper tools to do so. Newish bike to me and recently just moved and haven't moved all my tools with me.

Update numero 3: I've checked the tension quite a few times now exactly how the manual says and if anything it seems a bit tight. I did notice on the bottom of the chain guide rubber, it seems to be off (like hanging out a little) and it'd definitely dirty up there. As soon as my grunge brush gets here she'll be getting a good OCD cleaning! The toothbrush didn't cut it last time! Sorry for the so many updates as well!

bmwpowere36m3

That long rib that hangs below the slider is what you measure from (at the end).... down to the middle of the chain side plate. Should have a little over 2" (less than 2.25").

Hard to say what's causing it but the only time I've experienced that is when my chain is too loose and slips when it wants. I would re-check it unless you already have. Other than that I'm baffled as to what's causing it. Good luck! Let us know what you find out.

Beemer

Dunno why you have fixated on the chain. As it's not crazy loose, it's probably not causing this.

If it hasn't been done, might be a good time to check throttle body sync - at least make sure the cap is in place on the right TB and the hose is in place on the left one. An air leak will cause all manner of issues.

Didn't someone have a critter take residence inside the airbox and leave a mess? Might not hurt to have a look.

That said, these things do run a bit lean - especially just as you open the throttle from full closed where the O2 sensor is making things EPA super-happy.. There are spots in the rev range - particularly rolling downhill in 3rd gear with the throttle shut where just opening the throttle can cause the bike to lurch forward abruptly. Your reaction will be to slam the throttle shut again - the process repeats until your neck hurts. Easiest fix - downshift to keep the revs up higher and throttles open - or upshift again to give the motor more work just off-throttle.

You are saying lurch, but then you are describing some type of loss of power. Which one is it. Lurch to me is like a sudden jerk. Like an abrupt, unsteady increase in power. But are you experience a loss in power? Chugging? Maybe you mean chugging. Like the engine is dying out?

• 2 weeks later...
Dunno why you have fixated on the chain. As it's not crazy loose, it's probably not causing this.  
If it hasn't been done, might be a good time to check throttle body sync - at least make sure the cap is in place on the right TB and the hose is in place on the left one. An air leak will cause all manner of issues.

Didn't someone have a critter take residence inside the airbox and leave a mess? Might not hurt to have a look.

That said, these things do run a bit lean - especially just as you open the throttle from full closed where the O2 sensor is making things EPA super-happy.. There are spots in the rev range - particularly rolling downhill in 3rd gear with the throttle shut where just opening the throttle can cause the bike to lurch forward abruptly. Your reaction will be to slam the throttle shut again - the process repeats until your neck hurts. Easiest fix - downshift to keep the revs up higher and throttles open - or upshift again to give the motor more work just off-throttle.

I've been fixated on the chain because damn it's noisy haha. I came from a belt driven Harley and just trying to adjust. I've checked everything and it's all good. I've just been downshifting and riding at higher rpms and its done just fine. It honestly just seemed like it was chugging and I wasn't used to that.

Yup, can't ride these things the way you could chug along on s big twin cruiser. This bike has decent torque, but if you are in taller gears and asking it to accelerate, the motor will be far happier above 4K and won't really make power until it's higher yet.
I even believe that gas mileage is better if you never lug the motor. Even my 1000cc Rotax is happier at 4-5k and it makes 50% more tiorque than the FZ

Archived