The MT-07 Forum

New rider - general gear questions

wingnutted

Hi all. I'm starting to look for my first sets of gear, helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, etc and have some general questions, especially about helmets and jackets that hopefully someone can help field. 

To start, my first priority is safety and protection offered by the right equipment...that being said, I'm having a hard time understanding what really drives the massive price difference between helmet brands. I've always heard from friends who ride that, in general, brands like Shoei and Arai are the best money can buy, but they also seem to be priced accordingly. I've been browsing and found the HJC CL-17 series, that seems to hit the check boxes, DOT / Snell, very comfortable, all that. Is there any reason to avoid this helmet? Or what would be benefits of the pricier brands?

Second, I'm tall and very thin (6'2", 160 lbs) and am having a tough time finding jackets that fit correctly. They are either fitted in the chest, with the torso and sleeves short, or the other way around. Alpinestars has a waterproof jacket (Gunner) that fit better than anything else I've tried, but I'm wondering if anyone else has run into similar problems?

Would love to hear any / all thoughts!

Guest unknown

As long as the helmet has proper approval (DOT,ECE,Snell) , it will protect your head just fine. The only thing you get by going up in price is features, lighweight, and maybe a little more comfort. The most important thing with helmets is ensuring you have a proper fit. A $25k helmet that doesn't fit your head provides less protection than a $100 HJC that fits your head perfectly.

Look for some jackets that have adjustable velcro straps in the waist, I know my Fullmer jacket has them, and since I am built like a pear...I need them :)

TwistedTorque

In terms of safety, most helmets out there regardless of the price tag will do just fine since they all go through the same cert. Snell is obviously a step up. The reason for the price diff is the feel and comfort. Shoe and Arai helmets generally fit like gloves and are extremely light weight. They are also much much quieter than say a 150$ helmet. Some helmets also have removable liners which make it easier to clean. Alot of new riders like myself start with HJC as others have recommended as they are somewhere in the middle. I started with an RPS10 which has since been replaced with the RPHA-Max.

All that being said, try them on. As many as you can and find one that fits very snug.

I have the exact opposite problem from you with jackets/pants. I'm short so most items usually have long arms or long legs. One thing to note if you are buying leather is that it will stretch and fit into your form. Alot of riders typically find a brand that fits their body type well and stick with it for that reason.

The price increase is in the features. Softer material on the inside that is removable for cleaning, lighter weight overall, quieter at speeds, better airflow for the hot weather riding. I have an HJC helmet and the only thing I do not like is the weight after a few hours of riding. I went HJC for price and after seeing my buddy crash with one on and walk away w/out any additional head issues I was sold.

Jackets are going to be tough with your build. I know it is for me (509/185 but with long arms). They either seem to be form fitting with 3/4 sleeves or way to baggy with correct sleeve length. If you dont have a shop near by with a good selection check out sites like revzilla, they exchange w/out fees if tags are still on it.

Are there brands that tend to be slimmer fitting in general? I've found a couple jackets that have "tall" sizing, but in most the cases the tall sizes start at XL and go up from there. I think I can probably make up a little of the sleeve length depending on the type of gloves, but torso length is a little harder...

Any general advice on mesh vs textile vs leather?

TwistedTorque
Are there brands that tend to be slimmer fitting in general? I've found a couple jackets that have "tall" sizing, but in most the cases the tall sizes start at XL and go up from there. I think I can probably make up a little of the sleeve length depending on the type of gloves, but torso length is a little harder... 
In terms of protection leather > textile > mesh roughly speaking for the last two.
In terms of airflow perforation is key. Mesh > textile > leather roughly speaking again for the last two.

I wear leather jacket spring to fall and textile during the winter.
Mesh pants for daily riding and leather pants for trips with twisties etc.

It's all a matter of preference. I know some people who can't bear to wear leather in the summer. For me, my leather jacket with perforation is perfectly fine while moving but at red lights its hot as hell.

I'm a big user/fan of HJC helmets. They work well with eye glasses.

Trying on the safety gear is the only way to find what fits you.
If there are no local choices, then shop on-line with venders that are easy to send back merchandise,

Also expect to buy several before you find what you like. 1st time is to find what you will wear.

Ride Safely,

I think most of the European based stuff is a slimmer fit while others are "American cut" as they say. Go to youtube and check out motorcycle super store, revzilla and sport bike track gear.

Leather will always outperform fabric in a slide. The textiles with high denier numbers are best. The mesh is the least but flows the best.

Pants I have seen some nice denim styles that have kevlar linings in the impact areas to protect in slides.

Just be prepared its all a matter of when not if you go down. I have not met a rider who has riden for any length of time and not gone down.

Guest MXRider

I used to have the same problem with finding jackets to fit me right. I was 6'1" 150 for a long time. In the end I had a guy named Barnacle Bill make me a jacket. It wasn't cheap but it fit perfectly. His website is www.racingleather.com and he does top notch work.

Now I'm at about 185 and can wear off the rack stuff.

I'm thinking the HJC CL-17, honestly because it seems to be the most comfortable for my head, regardless of the price-range for helmets I've tried. Joe Rocket has some jackets with tall sizing, but most of them seem to out of stock everywhere I've checked

I buy all my gear on Revzilla unless a forum vendor is running a sale or special. I have been building my gear over the last year so I have a good mix of summer and fall/spring gear.

Here is what I am running:

Helmet - bell rs1. Much better than my AGV k3.

Jacket and pants - textile head to toe. I wore full textile when I crashed my first bike and I walked away with no injuries. I am especially thankful I wore textile pants because I am sure jeans would have ripped instantly on the pavement. I am 5'7" and on the skinny side so Alpinestars fits me well (euro cut).

Gloves - gauntlet style gloves.

Boots - riding shoes or my xps boots

Leathers - for track days

• Premium Member

I use a HJC CL-17. Great helmet and my first one. The pinlock visor system makes it hear impossible to fog up and replacement visors are cheap. Good airflow too. Are there better helmets? Probably not safety wise but comfort and accesory wise, sure. It's a great buy for the money.

As far as gear, I advise going to Revzilla. You can talk to them and get advice on a perfect fit. If it's no bueno... very easy return policy. Just bought a hi vis Tourmaster Air Intake 3 and I love it. Removable waterproof liner and an insulated one too.

Everything went braap.

@hobbs How's noise in the CL-17?

@howlinhoss I was thinking gauntlet style gloves, because they might help mitigate shorter length sleeves?

• Premium Member

With the vents open its fairly loud but not deafening. Excellent with ear plugs. :D

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I'm a firm believer in spending extra money on a helmet that fits/feels better. Less things to worry about while you're riding. Let's be honest.. is gear that will potentially save your life worth buying the bare minimum? Understandably, all helmets that you'd buy in a store will be DOT approved but you have to think about fit and comfort. As mentioned already try on as many as possible and find what you like.

• Global Moderator

Exactly. I think comfort and fit actually improves safety. If a helmet is lighter, makes less noise, has good ventilation and feels better it's worth the extra investment. I upgraded from a recent bought Shark Evoline ST3 to a Shoei GT Air and it is amazing how much my riding experience has improved.I thought the Shark was good, but the Shoei is so much better.

Was over at Triumph of Seattle this afternoon (I'm having tons of fun bouncing around to dealers talking with everything and checking out gear). Found that I really like the fit and feel of the Shoei RF1200 and the GT Air, especially the internal sun visor in the GT Air. They also had a brand of jackets (Rev'it!) that fit a tall skinny guy like me better than anything else I've found. We'll see, this might be the stuff I end up getting...

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

I'm alive today because of armored leather. I have a million miles under my belt and I'm the luckiest sob I know. All those miles has thought me to dress appropriately.

I have light duty leathers for short trips to the store. I crank up my situational awareness because most accidents occur at slow speeds within 5 miles of home (federal traffic statistic info).

I have heavy duty leathers with armor for playing in the twisties or burning up the quarter mile. I dropped serious coin on this stuff and it saved my life absolutely.

If it's too hot for leather it's too hot to ride*

*within reason. I've been riding a long time. I didn't have a car or truck for years. I've ridden in snow, sleet, and was beat damned-near senseless by hail once (I have never been in so much pain). Anyway, I could get hit by a truck tomorrow but it like to think that I have enough experience that I can accurately judge the necessity for safety gear. Some days I just don't want to wear a helmet so I get the Harley out and cruise the backroads. Wear the best gear you can afford and in a million miles you'll be able to accurately judge the necessity for safety gear.

-HowWorkClutch

I'm a firm believer in spending extra money on a helmet that fits/feels better. Less things to worry about while you're riding. Let's be honest.. is gear that will potentially save your life worth buying the bare minimum? Understandably, all helmets that you'd buy in a store will be DOT approved but you have to think about fit and comfort. As mentioned already try on as many as possible and find what you like.
Wearing gear is a necessary habit.  I've taken the odd ride with no gear, ever wore shorts once to get gas.  Felt totally uncomfortable.  I feel unsafe even with no gloves on so am in full gear (minus armored pants) 99.9% of the time.  Usually have denim or even dress pants (commute to work).

Always carry a set of ear plugs. You might not realize you need them until you have ridden an hour, then its too late.
From experience, all helmets will become noisy at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Thanks for all the advice and direction! I ended up getting a Shoei GT Air, and Rev'IT! jacket and pants. Everything fits great, and has been super comfortable during my first weekend out on the new bike!

Hi all. I'm starting to look for my first sets of gear, helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, etc and have some general questions, especially about helmets and jackets that hopefully someone can help field.  
To start, my first priority is safety and protection offered by the right equipment...that being said, I'm having a hard time understanding what really drives the massive price difference between helmet brands. I've always heard from friends who ride that, in general, brands like Shoei and Arai are the best money can buy, but they also seem to be priced accordingly. I've been browsing and found the HJC CL-17 series, that seems to hit the check boxes, DOT / Snell, very comfortable, all that. Is there any reason to avoid this helmet? Or what would be benefits of the pricier brands?

Second, I'm tall and very thin (6'2", 160 lbs) and am having a tough time finding jackets that fit correctly. They are either fitted in the chest, with the torso and sleeves short, or the other way around. Alpinestars has a waterproof jacket (Gunner) that fit better than anything else I've tried, but I'm wondering if anyone else has run into similar problems?

Would love to hear any / all thoughts!

I have the HJC CL-17 and it is a great helmet.

• Premium Member
Hey all, 
Thanks for all the advice and direction! I ended up getting a Shoei GT Air, and Rev'IT! jacket and pants. Everything fits great, and has been super comfortable during my first weekend out on the new bike!

Awesome! Gear has to be convenient enough to use and comfortable enough to not distract you. Otherwise you won't end up wearing it. Sounds like you have it covered, grats.

Everything went braap.

no one mention this but also look at hi-vis riding gear. trust me hi-vis works, im afraid to ride without it that's how good it works.

Archived