The MT-07 Forum

Question about metal in oil.

azfz07

So I just did my first service, and I knew there was gonna be metal in it from break in, but did anyone have and larger particles. I have a couple slivers of metal about 1/10-1/8 of an inch long. Just wanna make sure it's not too much.

• Global Moderator

Got any pics?
its normal for metal particles... but major chunks/shavings arent a good sign...

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

bmwpowere36m3

I had similar small slivers (non-magnetic, a thou or two thick and 1/10 to 1/8" long) in my oil filter (cut it open) after my first oil change at 120 miles (broke-in hard). The oil was filthy and had a serious metallic sheen. At the second oil change the oil wasn't as "metallic" and there were less slivers in the filter (at 350 miles). By the third change the oil looked more typical, albeit for a longer service interval (2-4k miles, not 400) and there were maybe 1 or 2 slivers. Since then there haven't been slivers from what I remember (maybe 1 or 2 in the filter)… never saw them in the oil when it was drained.

I'm at 3,500 now running Mobil synthetic oil and the bikes runs great.

I would monitor at the next oil change, but if there as small as you're describing I wouldn't be worried… unless the oil was "full" of them.

No it was just like 2-4 maybe as thick as a corse beard hair. I had a lot of sheen, but I expected that. It was just those couple bigger pieces. I'm sure I'm just over paranoid.

• Premium Member

As mentioned by others, I too picked up a magnetic oil plug...and I also bought some N52 magnets to stick on the oil filter.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX084BR-N52&cat=168

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I found this in my Honda Grom when I changed the oil at 150 miles.. Never had a problem with my Grom either. Never saw more shavings in subsequent oil changes. It happens. Most likely from machined components not being thoroughly cleaned before assembly. No worries. Think about how many oil changes happen at the nechanics and they never mention the findings and the engines continue to run just fine..

SHAVING_zpsc8c380a5.jpg

• Premium Member

No, at 600 mile service just the usual (new engine) very fine, minor content.

Btw, the absolute worst I EVER saw in many trannies, rear-ends, and engines, racing and otherwise (except when we blew-up something) was from a New Departure 5-speed tranny at 1000 mile, initial oil-change.  And, the sad part is the factory didn't recommend any oil change in the first 50K miles!!!  Awful!

Here's how to REALLY find metal in the oil, hehehehe!

Archived