The MT-07 Forum

Long trip...bags?

liami

Planning a thousand mile trip from Florida to Pennsylvania next summer. I'll need clothes and toiletries and everything of the like. I'll obviously need bags to do this trip, so what would you guys suggest? I want the full set; tail bag, tank bag, *hard* side bags, and then a backpack alongside all that. I'd like it all waterproof. Speaking of which, I'd also need rain gear. I'd also like to get a a louder exhaust so I'm heard better, without breaking bank more than I already will be with all this. That might also require a power commander if I were to put my stock exhaust back onto bike when I get back home (I like it quieter). Which things of each would you all suggest, and what do you think is a reasonable price range for all of it? Let me know so I know how much I'll need to budget out. Thanks!

Kriega US Drypacks...you can mount them to each other if you want more than one size. Look on Revzilla and YouTube. They have sizes from 5L to 30L also they have awesome backpacks.

There are several threads on this forum. I would search using "Luggage" "Tail Bags" "Hard Bags" "Top Case" Etc. I did the same a few weeks ago and found plenty of suggestions.

As for the Exhaust, I like em' quiet as well. I would skip the loud exhaust especially if you plan on taking it back off when you get home. If you ride aware, you don't need a loud exhaust.

• Premium Member

+10 for Kriega. I bought an R-25 back-pack and fell in love right then. Recently picked up the US70 drybag system (1x 30L + 2x 20L), use in any configuration you wish, love it.
10 year warranty is worth the pricetag alone and this stuff is built to last. Good luck finding a low review of anything Kriega.

Ive been eyeing the "Shad e-48" semi ridgid side bags as well (51L, I think). Got some solid reviews and the price is right.

I feel if I need more luggage than this, Im doing it wrong.

Raingear so far I have the "Olympia New Horizon" jacket. Outstanding!! .... and a pair of $100 "Clover" WP gloves so I dont ruin my precious Racer's.
For pants Im undecided.

I have the Yoshimura r77 full exhaust with the Dobeck EJK unit. Love these too. I dont buy into the "loud pipes saves lives" rhetoric, I bought it just for me.
I feel being seen is far more important than being heard. I put more faith in all of my extra running lights and ride safe with my head on a swivel than I do loud exhaust.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

+1 for Kreiga. Good stuff. I have the waterproof urban messenger bag and love it. Exhaust wise I got a full Delkevic system for under $400. That way of you want to swap and put the stock exhaust system back on it's all there. Cheers and safe riding.

I'll probably just go with the drypacks. It's a year away so money shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise I'd be a horrible spender...not that I'm not already...as for exhaust, I agree with capnkirk, I'll just keep my head on a swivel as I normally do. Just more so as best I can since it'll be all highway driving. Thanks guys!

My 2 cents worth.
Mid luggage get a kayaking roll edge waterproof bag. Tough, REALLY waterproof and easy to use and attach.
Side HARD cases that clip on ( eg Givi but there are others finally). They are just plain easier to use.
Tank bag is really handy but you need to find one that isn't magnetic ( plastic tank) but can be attached and detached easily.
Exhaust. The ONLY advantage for an aftermarket exhaust for a touring bike is weight ( or lack thereof) . If you are going to put the OEM back why waste money on putting aftermarket one on in the first place. Spend the money on a quality reflash. You will get more HP and Torque and usually better fuel economy as well. Unless you are going to REALLY hispeed tour an aftermarket exhaust will have little effect on the trip.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
My 2 cents worth. Mid luggage get a kayaking roll edge waterproof bag. Tough, REALLY waterproof and easy to use and attach.
Side HARD cases that clip on ( eg Givi but there are others finally). They are just plain easier to use.
Tank bag is really handy but you need to find one that isn't magnetic ( plastic tank) but can be attached and detached easily.
Exhaust. The ONLY advantage for an aftermarket exhaust for a touring bike is weight ( or lack thereof) . If you are going to put the OEM back why waste money on putting aftermarket one on in the first place. Spend the money on a quality reflash. You will get more HP and Torque and usually better fuel economy as well. Unless you are going to REALLY hispeed tour an aftermarket exhaust will have little effect on the trip.
I was looking at the Givi hardcases, and I might add that their luggage rack system appears to require attaching to points on the OEM tail. Too bad for us tail tidy folk, I was pretty keen on the Givi.  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Guest 2wheeler

... and if I got it right, the SW-Motech/Yamaha soft saddlebags don't work well with the tail tidys either.

Personally, I think the SW-Motech setup is great, and they are definitely a future purchase.

• Premium Member

There are different ways to go about rain gear. Waterproof jackets will only stay waterproof for so long. I know, because I got stuck in rain for an hour and my phone that was in the jacket pocket didn't make it. I'd advise in purchasing a rain suit.

Whether hot or cold, they're flexible since they act more like an overcoat than anything. I've heard many pack these on their trips and layer this on when it starts to rain, then fold it back up when the rain stops. 

I've purchased this Rev'it! Pacific H20 in Hi-Viz Yellow. It has a nice long zipper to get in/out of as well as adjustment points at the waist and boot length. It also has a pocket on the left thigh for anything you'd like easy access to. 

It doesn't rain often in SoCal, but the two times I've worn it, it's done its job. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

I'd fed-ex most of my stuff to/from the destination and go minimalist. A thousand miles ain't far. Some do it in a day ( iron butt patches prove it).

Backpack = hellno. Everyone tries it. Everyone hates it.

Except for a handful of Klingons who can't admit mistakes.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
Kriega US Drypacks...you can mount them to each other if you want more than one size. Look on Revzilla and YouTube. They have sizes from 5L to 30L also they have awesome backpacks.
Yep just pulled a 2400 mile trip with the 20,10 and 5 with camping gear.  

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Try these guys. I have their Backcountry duffle 40 liters. I can easily pack for a week in there...and thats with not very judicious packing - including laptop, heavy jeans, too many shirts etc. I use it for airline travel as well :P

http://moskomoto.com/collections/moto-camping-luggage

I just cinch it down at the back and probably will need just one average size tank bag for multi-week trips. Its a really tough bag and all water proof and easy access. Plus I can strap down all kinds of random junk on top of it securely!

Edit: Just realized I am on the FZ07 forum lol. So the 40L bag will be too big to fit on the rear of the little bike, unless you have fitted a rack or something, or you are a small guy.

Guest 2wheeler

Enough with all my research.....

Just pulled the trigger on my first Kriega - US30 Drypack

I have a distinct feeling that with not too much time I'm going to start hating Revzilla :D

• Premium Member
Enough with all my research..... 
Just pulled the trigger on my first Kriega - US30 Drypack

I have a distinct feeling that with not too much time I'm going to start hating Revzilla :D

Quite! Once you go Kriega...... :D It really is fantastic stuff.

I still have my stock tail, never planned on getting a tail tidy. I love my bike the way it is. I thought about the givi but I read reviews that it was absolute crap so I decided I wanted the swmotech instead. I've been back and forth and that's okay since it's so long away

Guest 2wheeler

So I just received my Kriega - US30 Drypack yesterday. After playing with it a bit, I decided to do the old "stuff it with towels" test.

My initial thoughts on this bag is that it is really well made with a lot of thought and engineering behind it. As I haven't had it on the bike, I don't know yet how well/easy it is to setup, and/or how it rides (future review). The one thing I did notice it that at 30L it doesn't seem as big as I thought it would be. Of course this can be very misleading as 5 bath towels isn't the same as putting your normal riding/trip junk in there, so it very well may be a lot bigger than it initally appears. Time will tell, but not too soon as my ECU is currently on a trip.

motomachines

Archived