The MT-07 Forum

2WDW Quick Review

Guest ChicagoAJ

pineappleunderthesea
You ever get your ECU back? Curious to hear your thoughts.

Biggest peeve at the moment is a bunch of times rolling on the throttle the engine would hesitate and all of a sudden take off... seemed mostly to happen when transitioning out of ECO mode (4th gear, ~4k) and a few times in 5th.  With more aggressive inputs its didn't hesitate.

Mine does the same thing, doesn't matter what octane I put in (87, 89, or 93).  I've put over 1000 miles on it, so it's not a "learning" thing, it seems to be part of the map. I have the Akra Carbon baffle in, and snorkle out.  I've gotten used to it so I don't notice it much anymore, but it's still there.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ChicagoAJ

Biggest peeve at the moment is a bunch of times rolling on the throttle the engine would hesitate and all of a sudden take off... seemed mostly to happen when transitioning out of ECO mode (4th gear, ~4k) and a few times in 5th.  With more aggressive inputs its didn't hesitate.

Mine does the same thing, doesn't matter what octane I put in (87, 89, or 93).  I've put over 1000 miles on it, so it's not a "learning" thing, it seems to be part of the map. I have the Akra Carbon baffle in, and snorkle out.  I've gotten used to it so I don't notice it much anymore, but it's still there.
I've never had this happen. Same set-up as you - Akra Carbon db killer in, snorkel out. 

pineappleunderthesea
I've never had this happen. Same set-up as you - Akra Carbon db killer in, snorkel out. 
It's more noticeable at highway speeds:  say you're going 55 or 65 mph, and you slowly roll the throttle to gently accelerate, it seems the bike doesn't respond:  the engine revs, but the bike doesn't seem to "go".  A tiny bit more throttle barely does anything.  And then a tiny bit more throttle and it's like the turbos come on. So at those speeds, small inputs in throttle don't seem to translate to a linear response in acceleration.  So I've just learned to be a bit more abrupt with the throttle.  But if yours doesn't do that, I wonder if it points to the map being too "tight" to take into account manufacturing differences with the bikes, or maybe there's a small leak with the Akra...? (not sure what that would do, less backpressure?)

bmwpowere36m3

Well, that blows...

Thabks for the write up. This definitely settles me on staying away.  
I love the engine braking, and given that half the year I ride in freezing to subs freezing temperatures and even sub 0s, this sound like it completely neuters the bike.
I am not sure how more power throughout the rev range "completely neuters the bike" (check out the dyno chests). Of course if you like the engine braking that is a good reason not to do the flash. I am going to get it done next month mostly to get rid of the engine braking. 
I've read that the engine breaking is greatly reduced after the flash and that's one of the reason I did the flash. Unfortunately, There is still a LOT of engine breaking (too much for me personally). Just a FYI...

I've never had this happen to me (knock on wood). Mine is really responsive. I have Akra Carbon, R6 throttle. Since the flash, I've been using 87 for 700 miles and 91 for the past 300 miles or so

Guest 2wheeler

This thread is getting interesting, and not in a good way.

This weekend I'll get my good test of the flash as I'm going on a 600 mile trip. By the end of that, I'll have a very good picture of the pros and cons of the flash. Let me qualify by saying that all I have done to my bike, in addition to the ECU flash, is to remove the snorkel - my exhaust is stock.

After a couple hundred miles so far, the jury is still out on how well I like the results of the flash. As I said, and ChicagoAJ has, it's a completely different motor! The violent, in-your-face personailty is gone! While it seems that peoples opinions vary on how much the engine braking has been reduced, I can say for me that the difference is huge. This is both a good-and-bad thing as I liked the engine braking quite a bit, but I am a realist in that there likely would come a time when I wasn't as vigilant, and that darn engine braking could seriously get me in trouble - especially in corners. I don't have any of the hesitation problems some of you are talking about - if I did, I would be pissed! The power delivery is now like a torquey 4 cylinder, or as ChicagoAJ says - supersport. The power seems to have moved up the RPM range with the torque hit feeling as it has been more spread out. In the first 4 gears, it runs very strong and smooth, and I quickly hit speeds that I previously did not reach. I can get into the 90s noticably faster than before for example. 5th and 6th gear are pretty anemic compared to what it  use to be in the lower RPMs, but no hesitation.

I've been whining about the intake noise from the first ride without the snorkel, and that hasn't changed. It just doesn't sound that good with the stock exhaust regardless of any minor gains in performance. I talked with 2WDW, and they said that I could put the snorkel back in without a reflash, but I would lose a bit in the mid-range. I have an email in to Nels about the pros-and-cons of reinstalling the snorkel but with the lower baffle portion removed and adding a high flow air filter (DNA or MWR) to make up the difference. He hasn't got back to me yet.

Bottom line to the present for me is that I think my flashed FZ is a safer bike to ride. I am in full belief that the violent-ish hit of power, especially in the lower gears, mixed with the freak show strong engine breaking could get me in trouble especially in corners and/or when I am not paying total attention such as in DC traffic where my attention is a bit more on not getting killed by cagers. Currently the first 4 gears pull strong as poop, just different from before. I'm not willing to try speed shifting from 4th to 5th and then redline 5th to see how well that pulls as I'm just a bit too paranoid of police.

I'll put in my $0.02 after my 600 mile ride this weekend as that is going to be a mix of all types of riding conditions - I believe the jury will have a verdict after that.

Oh yeah, a quick after thought - I initially rode the flash with 87 octane, and have since switched to Shell 93 V-Power. Jury is out on that as well. I am going to play around with the gas this weekend to see if I notice a real difference.

I have an email in to Nels about the pros-and-cons of reinstalling the snorkel but with the lower baffle portion removed and adding a high flow air filter (DNA or MWR) to make up the difference. He hasn't got back to me yet. 

Please let us all know what he says.  I still have my snorkel in.

Guest 2wheeler
 I have an email in to Nels about the pros-and-cons of reinstalling the snorkel but with the lower baffle portion removed and adding a high flow air filter (DNA or MWR) to make up the difference. He hasn't got back to me yet. 

Please let us all know what he says.  I still have my snorkel in.
Absolutely will do 

Guest ChicagoAJ

@2wheeler @bmwpowere36m3 - Wonder if a version 3 (I think they're on 2 right now) of the map will need to be released to get some people's bikes running smoothly. I, however, have never experienced the hesitation. My only thought could be that because the power/torque curve has changed maybe the hesitation is in your minds because you're used to a more abrupt and violent reaction in the mid range even with little inputs. That's why I was convinced the bike made less power, but really the power was just shifted to a different rpm and comes on much, much smoother.

5th and 6th are very anemic when cruising around 3-4k, I do agree with that. But at 80mph+ on the highway, even in 6th, the bike really goes compared to pre-flash. 

Guest 2wheeler

I heard back from 2WDW, and they basically said that I'm good to go with my version of the inner baffle being removed, outer snorkel being reinstalled, and a high flow air filter. They said I won't need a reflash.

Time to experiment!

ChicagoAJ, my bike is both very smooth with zero hesitation and the power is strong, so in that sense, it's good. I'm just not sure if I like the change in the power delivery as it's pretty substantial. After my planned 600ish mile ride this weekend, I'll most likely be used to it, and all will be well.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I heard back from 2WDW, and they basically said that I'm good to go with my version of the inner baffle being removed, outer snorkel being reinstalled, and a high flow air filter. They said I won't need a reflash. 
Time to experiment!

ChicagoAJ, my bike is both very smooth with zero hesitation and the power is strong, so in that sense, it's good. I'm just not sure if I like the change in the power delivery as it's pretty substantial. After my planned 600ish mile ride this weekend, I'll most likely be used to it, and all will be well.

I didn't like it at first either because I liked the grunt it had, but at the same time I hated how it lost all its balls around 8k. If you ride it like a supersport and really rev it up there it's so much better than stock and you can still power wheelie in the first few gears pretty easily. I like that a tiny bit of the explosiveness is gone from the mid range, especially when starting hard from a light and not worrying about flipping backward, haha. 

Guest 2wheeler
I like that a tiny bit of the explosiveness is gone from the mid range, especially when starting hard from a light and not worrying about flipping backward, haha. 
Oh that is so true. That's one of the potential screwups that this goofy bike can do for sure! Pre-flash heavy cracking the throttle in 1st was much more a function of your ability to manage wheelies! 

bmwpowere36m3
@2wheeler @bmwpowere36m3 - Wonder if a version 3 (I think they're on 2 right now) of the map will need to be released to get some people's bikes running smoothly. I, however, have never experienced the hesitation. My only thought could be that because the power/torque curve has changed maybe the hesitation is in your minds because you're used to a more abrupt and violent reaction in the mid range even with little inputs. That's why I was convinced the bike made less power, but really the power was just shifted to a different rpm and comes on much, much smoother. 
5th and 6th are very anemic when cruising around 3-4k, I do agree with that. But at 80mph+ on the highway, even in 6th, the bike really goes compared to pre-flash. 
I was cruising a hilly back road in 4th around 4k ECO mode was ON.  I was keeping a steady speed with minimal throttle input.  I applied a little throttle and for a split second nothing happened... then all of a sudden it started to accelerate.  Like my input didn't register.  I'm not even talking about the amount of acceleration, literally nothing.  It happened a couple more times, but I couldn't repeat easily.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I was cruising a hilly back road in 4th around 4k ECO mode was ON.  I was keeping a steady speed with minimal throttle input.  I applied a little throttle and for a split second nothing happened... then all of a sudden it started to accelerate.  Like my input didn't register.  I'm not even talking about the amount of acceleration, literally nothing.  It happened a couple more times, but I couldn't repeat easily.

Weird. I'll bet that goes away after a few hundred miles. Most tunes/flashes don't fully learn all the parameters for quite a bit. My WRX was something like 1,500 miles before all the long term fuel trims were learned completely. 

Guest 2wheeler

The jury has reached a verdict - the 2WDW flash was well worth it.

I just came back from 702 miles in 1.5 days on the FZ, so I got real familiar with the effects of the flash. Remember that I have the stock exhaust with the snorkel removed.

Several of us have said about how the in-your-face, violent-ish side of the FZ goes away with the flash, and becomes a more smoothed version of the monster. This is very true, and it makes it a hell of a lot more useable for day-in/day-out riding, and most definitely for longer rides. By the end of a really long ride I was seriously liking the effects that the flash has done on altering the power delivery of my FZ. The bike is just a lot easier to ride. There is plenty of power and super fast acceleration, it's just spread out more over the rpm range.

I use to think I liked the extreme engine braking - I now think I was BSing myself to deal with it. I had a very good comparison ride on Father's Day where I did 530 miles in a day, and that was before the flash. It was basically in the same area I rode this weekend. Having the engine braking being radically reduced made this ride so much more enjoyable. You might think it isn't all that bad, but deal with it for 400-500 miles in a day, and get back to me on that, especially when you do it before and after a flash.

My $0.02 is this, in stock form, the FZ-07 is a great bike, and if you like it the way it is - keep it that way. If the intense low rpm hit and/or the engine braking is something you do not like, you will be happy as a pig in poop with the flash!

Me personally, I was OK with the stock bike, but I was worried that either the low rpm hit and/or engine braking was going to get me in trouble. I also want this bike to go long distance on, and making it easier to ride is important. The flash works for me!

PS. I beat a Ducati 796 Hypermotard this weekend in a roll-on from about 20 to 80, so the flash can't be doing too bad 8-)

Guest ChicagoAJ
PS. I beat a Ducati 796 Hypermotard this weekend in a roll-on from about 20 to 80, so the flash can't be doing too bad 8-)
There's not many bikes our bike won't leave behind, especially 0-80mph. Even the bigger bore bikes have a lot of work to do to catch up before 80mph if we get the jump on them (especially if the riders aren't very skilled). By the time they're in their usable powerband, we're already shifting into 2nd or 3rd. From a roll however, it's a completely different story - especially at 70mph+.  
Glad to hear you're liking the flash. Seems like it takes just about everyone a thousand miles to start appreciating all the small the changes the flash has to offer. 

• Global Moderator

I just installed my @2wheeldynoworks flash. I have only had a chance to go for a 45 minute ride but so far I am loving it. The engine braking is still there, but now it is at a sane level. The off to on throttle transition is far better. I was also really surprised how smooth it runs now. I kept looking at my speed and it was usually six or seven mph faster than I expected (I guess I need to recalibrate my internal speedometer). I wish I had done this mod when I first got the bike.

I just installed my @2wheeldynoworks flash. I have only had a chance to go for a 45 minute ride but so far I am loving it. The engine braking is still there, but now it is at a sane level. The off to on throttle transition is far better. I was also really surprised how smooth it runs now. I kept looking at my speed and it was usually six or seven mph faster than I expected (I guess I need to recalibrate my internal speedometer). I wish I had done this mod when I first got the bike.
I'm just under 1k miles post-flash and my internal speedometer still hasn't adjusted fully, yet.   

In addition to the smoothness everyone's mentioned, the biggest thing I've noticed is the massively increased ease of riding at 70+mph.  Prior to the flash the bike seemed very unhappy and a bit wild at anything above low 70s, like it was fighting me to slow down.  That's all gone away now.  I had a steady ride a few weeks back through northwestern Maryland at about mid-90s mph for extended periods of time and it was quite comfortable.  I'm extremely happy with my flash.

• Global Moderator

I just got back from another ride and did some freeway riding. I was surprised at how much better it felt at highway speed with the flash. I have no idea how they managed to make the bike run so much smoother, but I really like it. I am definitely very happy with the flash.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I just got back from another ride and did some freeway riding. I was surprised at how much better it felt at highway speed with the flash. I have no idea how they managed to make the bike run so much smoother, but I really like it. I am definitely very happy with the flash.
48288542.jpg 

...and timing advances.

Archived