The MT-07 Forum

2WDW Quick Review

Guest ChicagoAJ

Guest ChicagoAJ

I didn't really know what to expect when starting my bike up and riding it for the first time after the flash by @2wheeldynoworks . It's still a very new bike to me and still has just under 2200 miles. I got everything put back together and took the bike out for a couple hour ride. However, it wasn't that great of weather to test the bike in. The weather was nothing it like it was when I last rode the bike, it was about 85-90 today with about 40% humidity. When I last rode the bike it was in the low 60s with about 0 humidity, so it really screamed compared to hot and humid.

Pros:

1) It's sickening smooth. Absolutely disgustingly smooth. I would find myself slowing down but not notice it until cars were going around me, I thought everyone was flying around my neighborhood where the speed limit varies from 25-35mph. If you're lightly on the throttle and it closes but you still think you're on it, you're in a for a surprise when you actually get back on it again. On a scale from 1-10, I'd put the stock bike at a 7-8 for engine braking. It's easily around 2 now, it's almost non-existent. Unless you're more than half throttle and let it snap shut, then you're back up to about a 5. But just cruising around being easy on it, like I said, it's about a 2. Hardly noticeable.

2) Upshifts and downashifts are smoother as well. See the first couple sentences of [HASH]1. When I first started riding with the flash, I would actually had to look down and check to make sure I actually went up a gear. If you're good at rev matching, you'll hardly notice a downshift except by exhaust noise.

3) The powerband for the bike is completely different. Stock had a big grunt from 5k-8k, after that power seemed to slowly taper off and by redline you could barely feel the acceleration anymore. The onset of stock power was instant and violent. After the flash, it's so smooth it's hard to tell if the bike actually is even faster (althought this could very well be related the weather). However, the grunt is gone. It's not violent anymore, it's a smooth pull that gets harder and harder until redline which is definitely going to be hard to get used to. I was accustomed to short shifting at about 8k, but doing that now is hardly worth it. Now it actually has some top end. I found myself doing 90+ on multiple occasions in 4th and 5th. It was so smooth, it definitely didn't feel like I was going that fast - all while shifting less. The lower rpms seem a bit anemic though. The bike doesn't liven up until about 5k now and it's really going at 7k all the way to redline. It definitely likes the higher rpms much more than stock.

4) Idle no longer feels inconsistent. Before the digital tach would always jump up and down a couple bars above 1k. Now it's steady with only one bar about 1k. It has a whole different feel as soon as you let the clutch out, it's just ready to go. No more stuttering.

5) Cooling fan now kicks on at 205 degrees instead of 220 or whatever it was stock. So the bike runs cooler and you can definitely feel the difference on your legs.

Cons:

1) Gas mileage seems to have decreased a bit (an expected side effect). Still mid to high 40s I would guesstimate, when I usually average low to mid 50s. I'll know an exact number after a few tanks of not romping on it.

2) Lower rpm cruising seems to lug a bit more. I could ride around high 3k rpms to low 4k rpms. Now it's much happier closer to 5k. Still can cruise at 3k and 4k on a level surface.

3) I'm not sure about different octanes yet, but I'm running either BP or Shell 93 instead of the usual 87. So filling up will be a dollar more on average. Not that huge of a con, but I may try 89 to see how it runs. I know 87 would probably work, but I'd rather give myself a few octane buffer just in case.

I've only done about 80 miles on the new flash so I'm sure the ECU has a lot more learning to do. But this is all I could think of for right now. I'll try to update as I get more miles on it, but so far I'm enjoying it minus the sluggish behavior in the heat.

400 Mile Update:

Took a 200 mile trip today. Close to 400 miles on the flash. I can confirm that the warm weather was the culprit in regards to power loss. It was around 85 today and the bike felt great, I just felt like it had a little more in it. On my trip home it was about 71 the entire way indicated on the dash.

The bike was an absolute monster at those temps. Power everywhere. From 4k-redline. It pulled smooth and hard. In a full tuck power shifting from 2-3 at 10,500rpm it picked up the wheel hard and held it for about 50 feet on a slight downhill road. The bike is amazingly smooth.

According to mileage on my trip divided by gallons put in, I got 54.38mpg on Shell 93, which is only about 2-3 miles lower than my previous averages. And that was riding it pretty hard, over 7-8k rpm for at least half the tank.

I was fooling around with a buddy who has a 2012 STi with a few mods and he was trying to dial in his tune. So while he was data-logging with a laptop and g-timer I was just going 0-quarter mile with him. We did about 10 runs and his best time according to the g-timer was a 12.64 at 111mph. On that run I was at least 5-6 car lengths ahead and was pulling away up to about 105mph, that's when I saw in the mirror he probably would've caught me if we kept going. Anyway, to make a long story a bit longer, before the flash I would pull a couple car lengths on him to 100 then get properly passed by 110.

So, I would recommend the flash to anyone who wants a bike ridiculously smooth, power until redline, and arguably a healthier running bike in general.

1500 Mile Update:

After about 1,500 miles on the flash I'm still averaging low 50 miles per gallon when calculated at the pump and that's not riding very conservatively at all. I still love the bike, engine braking seems like it's settled down to about 20% of what it was in the higher gears (4th, 5th, 6th), in the lower gears it all depends how abruptly you let off the throttle - it'll engine brake just as hard as before if you're at 50% throttle or more and just let it snap shut. But if you roll of the throttle gradually by the time it's closed you won't even know. Going down large hills the bike stays a constant speed when off the throttle completely.

One of the best parts about the flash that I've noticed (especially in stop and go traffic) is that the cooling fan comes on around 200 degrees, prior to the flash it was 225 degree, I believe. This 25 degrees makes a huge different in the heat soaked up around my legs when sitting at idle. The bike also gets down to 172 quicker too once I'm up and moving again.

Another notable small change that makes a huge difference is the idle was changed to around 1100rpms. Which seems low compared to stock, but when taking off from a light the bike just wanted to go, go, go. The power is instant (this might be the R6 tube though). If you really want to feel the power difference from stock to flash - start from a light in 2nd like you would normally do in 1st when getting on it hard. The bike pulls decent to 6k then absolutely takes off to 10k (I've had some pretty close to 3 second flat 0-60 runs when doing this). As I've said before, more supersport-y powerband.

I'm still sticking with my previous claim that 1st feels like a near gear. 2nd feels like pre-flash 1st. 3rd feels like 2nd, etc.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yamahazaki

I find it odd that you wrote "I was accustomed to short shifting at about 8k". That seems very strange when talking about the FZ07. At least to me it does.

• Global Moderator

I am planning on doing this in August. I would love you to post an update when you have some more miles with the new flash. So far the feedback I have read has been positive but more opinions are always appreciated.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I find it odd that you wrote "I was accustomed to short shifting at about 8k". That seems very strange when talking about the FZ07. At least to me it does.
When riding hard? That's pretty much the sweet spot on a stock bike considering redline is 10.5k. You lose almost all power after that initial pull to 8k. Normal city driving I shift about 6k and cruise between 4k-5k.  

yamahazaki
When riding hard? That's pretty much the sweet spot on a stock bike. You lose almost all power after that. Normal city driving I shift about 6k. 
Yes but then that wouldn't be short shifting, right?  I mean, 4k you can say short shift.  But shifting at peak power is not really short shifting, right?  That's what I meant. 
Anyway, I definitely noticed the decrease in MPG after the flash.  The worst thing about the flash though is, in a few days you won't even feel it anymore after you acclimate. :'(

Guest ChicagoAJ
When riding hard? That's pretty much the sweet spot on a stock bike. You lose almost all power after that. Normal city driving I shift about 6k. 
Yes but then that wouldn't be short shifting, right?  I mean, 4k you can say short shift.  But shifting at peak power is not really short shifting, right?  That's what I meant. 
Anyway, I definitely noticed the decrease in MPG after the flash.  The worst thing about the flash though is, in a few days you won't even feel it anymore after you acclimate. :'(

If you're not shifting at redline you're short shifting, haha. And yea, I wouldn't know if I had extra power at this point because it's so warm/humid out. Felt like it struggled to get to 75mph when normally I'm in the 90s in the same areas. Unless the flash takes a while to learn everything to get to optimal levels. 

• Global Moderator

It looks like you need to change the text under your avatar now @ChicagoAJ :)

Nice write, though I think it puts me off on the flash.. 

I really like the way the fz engine brakes, and that it is violent. It gives it great personality and not everyone can/likes to ride the way it begs to be ridden.  Gotten quite smooth at the shifts, still occasionally get a small buck but know immediately why and just reminds me to never get complacent. 

Only had my bike since April 2nd but have put on 6000 miles since and I can say you are spot on with the stock tuning behaviors. My fan kicks on at 221F, and you Definitely notice it in between your legs.  >:D

I would think after a couple tanks the ecu will for sure have finished adjusting, after 80 miles idk- For sure it is at least in the midst of adjusting. The lower mileage with the needed higher octane blows a bit- but as you noted is expected.

I can completely see why people want, and do the flash. Glad you did it and hope it is all you wanted and then some. I just think that it would take away from my Lexi's personality, I like that she can be a handful.  :D   Never understood why people want to get rid of the popping on decel and the wicked personality, But to each their own  :))   Fz can do it all!

Cheers

bigdaddybane

Thanks for your initial review. This clarifies so many questions I had about ECU flash. I'm glad that you like how the bike runs right now. As Redstang4 mentioned, I also like FZ-07's "raw" nature and I wouldn't change it, at least not now. Keep us posted with other observations, I'm sure you'll discover more stuff as you go along.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I really like the way the fz engine brakes, and that it is violent. It gives it great personality and not everyone can/likes to ride the way it begs to be ridden.  Gotten quite smooth at the shifts, still occasionally get a small buck but know immediately why and just reminds me to never get complacent. 

Only had my bike since April 2nd but have put on 6000 miles since and I can say you are spot on with the stock tuning behaviors. My fan kicks on at 221F, and you Definitely notice it in between your legs.  >:D

I would think after a couple tanks the ecu will for sure have finished adjusting, after 80 miles idk- For sure it is at least in the midst of adjusting. The lower mileage with the needed higher octane blows a bit- but as you noted is expected.

I can completely see why people want, and do the flash. Glad you did it and hope it is all you wanted and then some. I just think that it would take away from my Lexi's personality, I like that she can be a handful.  :D   Never understood why people want to get rid of the popping on decel and the wicked personality, But to each their own  :))   Fz can do it all!

Cheers

I wouldn't have done the flash if I didn't change the exhaust. I didn't want to be listening to relentless popping every time I even thought about getting off the throttle. The thing I like the most is the change in the powerband. The fact that it doesn't get weaker as you go higher is awesome.  
I'm just like you, I really enjoyed the engine braking and notice myself having to use the brakes much, much more. I probably should've put more brake pads under the con list. But like I said, if you're on it hard it'll engine brake pretty hard still, just not as aggressive as before. 

• Global Moderator

I want the engine braking to be less severe, so it seems like a good upgrade to me. I have heard that the off throttle to on throttle transition is smoother with the flash. What are your thoughts on this, @ChicagoAJ?

Guest ChicagoAJ
I want the engine braking to be less severe, so it seems like a good upgrade to me. I have heard that the off throttle to on throttle transition is smoother with the flash. What are your thoughts on this, @chicagoaj ?
It's like butter, definitely no more twitchy-ness. It behaves more like a 4 cylinder bike in regards to throttle both rolling on and off. It's hard to put into words, but to me, it feels like you get all the power of the bike without completely pinning the throttle, at least in the lower gears. Half throttle in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all feel the same even when you twist your wrist even more until you open it completely, the only change is more exhaust noise, not harder acceleration (still, I think it might be the weather). This could be because there's something like 13% more power mid range according to the dyno charts so maybe I'm just feeling that. 
Like I mentioned, everything is disgustingly (in a good way) smooth - so maybe I'm just not able to grasp the smooth onset of power. Or, it's just the warm weather we're having causing the bike to run differently. It's really hard for me to say there's more power than before the flash because if there is, I don't feel it much.

All in all, it's like riding a completely different bike to be quite honest. 

• Global Moderator

Thanks. Smoother throttle transitions and less engine braking is exactly what I am looking for. It sounds like I will be very happy when I get mine done.

Guest 2wheeler

Well, your review has me all screwed up.

I actually like the engine breaking, and definitely like that torque hit when you crack the throttle around 4-6K. What I don't like is the choppy throttle response in general, and the sometimes extreme engine breaking you get. As the one person said, it all makes up the personality of the bike.

What's got me so screwed up is that I bought a flash on the 7/4 sale. I've been on vacation so I didn't get a chance to send it in yet. Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

I guess my biggest concern is whether it takes away that 4-6K torque rush when you crack the throttle. That's just fun!

That begs a question ChicagoAJ - are you running with the baffle in or out? I remember reading that Nels made comment about with the baffle in, it adds down low, and with it out, it adds up high. That could be why you are getting that effect.

I'm going with the stock exhaust, so if there is anyone who want to kick in their $0.02, it would be appreciated.

pineappleunderthesea

What exhaust do you have? I have the Akra Carbon with baffle in and didn't feel a loss of power or speed as you describe after my tune. Then again, the Akra ran well even on stock tune, presumably due to the longer exhaust path compared to the Yoshi., which people say loses some torque on stock tune. My acceleration is smoother and I seem to have more midrange power, but it's not a dramatic increase. Engine braking has been reduced, maybe by half.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
What exhaust do you have? I have the Akra Carbon with baffle in and didn't feel a loss of power or speed as you describe after my tune. Then again, the Akra ran well even on stock tune, presumably due to the longer exhaust path compared to the Yoshi., which people say loses some torque on stock tune. My acceleration is smoother and I seem to have more midrange power, but it's not a dramatic increase. Engine braking has been reduced, maybe by half.
There's likely no loss of power, just a loss of abrupt power onset. The side-effect of better fueling is that there are fewer weak spots in the power band. The power is everywhere.

Prior to the flash it was like jumping from rock to rock across a stream. You'd have a lull in power as you revved through the under fueled part of the map and then a pop of energy as you hit the power fueling zones. After the flash it's like you're crossing the stream on solid bridge. You can go full power from the start without big drops in power due to shite fueling. You get across the stream faster on the bridge, even though it may feel less exciting.

I've had this same experience across two bikes. My Daytona had this clear kick right at 10k rpm with the stock fueling. Made you feel like you kicked up a gear. Installed a powercommander and got it tuned. Added 3 hp and 2 torque everywhere, plus another 5 hp at the top, yet the bike lost that punch at 10k. Bike is faster and pulls harder everywhere, but felt slower in places because of how smooth the fueling is with the customer map.

• Global Moderator

@2wheeler, I would get the tune done. You have already paid for it and will most likely be happy. If not they will flash it back to stock for no additional charge.

Guest ChicagoAJ

@2wheeler - I'm intake snorkel out, which very well could be the change in the range of power. However, it sounds awesome with the snorkel out. I never rode the bike with snorkel out prior to the flash, so if the snorkel out is the cause of the low end power loss, maybe get the flash for snorkel in. However with my exhaust I'm running baffle in. 

@pineappleunderthesea - Akra Carbon with baffle in. 

@phicurious86 - I'm still attributing my feeling of power loss to the heat and humidity. When I rode the bike home after work I was in 4th around 40mph and cranked the throttle to get around someone and looked down and was amazed I was in 4th and not 3rd like I had thought. It was 10 degrees cooler then too. But my ride home from work is only ~10 minutes so I didn't get to do much else.

I suppose I should've specified mods in my original post. Akra Carbon with the baffle in and intake snorkel out. Those are the only "power adders" I have in addition to the flash. 

• Global Moderator
Is it possible to have 2 ECUs for the same bike, and just swap between them?
I havent seen anyone do it, but i dont see why it couldnt be done

Im not sure what kind of configuration the new modules require for initialization

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Cheers

Run lean with flames coming out of your exhaust, that's what I'm talking about. I have yet to install a fuel management system on any of my bikes with aftermarket exhaust :) I like the pop crackle sound like my cereal. Maybe I'll try it on this bike. Different time this is now :) But I don't know if I can justify $300+ for such a tune...

Greatness

bmwpowere36m3

Cheers

Run lean with flames coming out of your exhaust, that's what I'm talking about. I have yet to install a fuel management system on any of my bikes with aftermarket exhaust :) I like the pop crackle sound like my cereal. Maybe I'll try it on this bike. Different time this is now :) But I don't know if I can justify $300+ for such a tune...
Certainly isn't "cheap", but neither is jetting carbs when you factor the time involved…  to its the price you pay to keep the bike running as good or better than stock with an aftermarket exhaust.  Put it this way, a $700 Akra exhaust and yes, the bike "sounds" better… but it runs worse than stock, period.  Honestly if I left it like this I wouldn't be happy in the long run, but I was planning on doing the ECU flash anyway.

I buy everything used if I could and I couldn't see myself spending $700 or anywhere close to that for an exhaust. I get one purely just for sound and looks, truth. But I understand where you are coming from so to each their own :)

As long as you ride and enjoy your bike is all that matters.

Greatness

Guest ChicagoAJ

Quick little update:

It was mid 60s and I just took a decent ride. The loss of power from 4-6k is real and very noticeable in 5th and 6th if you need to pass. Definitely have to downshift if you want to move and you're in those gears around 50-60mph.

But wow. After 6k it pulls hard. I've also never ever been able to power wheelie in 2nd, even when anticipating it and pulling up on the bars, it just never had the uumph. I was just cruising along at about 30 in 2nd and didn't even get to full throttle and my front tire was instantly a foot off the ground. So there's more power, definitely. Also had a nice 1st through 3rd pull and made sure I was tucked. It got to 80 in the blink of an eye, by the time it would be around 70 prior to flash.

Maybe about 150 miles on the flash now.

Archived