The MT-07 Forum

I'm curious... do some of you riders never lube your chain?

yamahazaki

A friend of mine doesn't lube, not because he is incapable but because it is a hassle. He'll just put a new one on when it's time. He puts lots of miles on his bike touring, he doesn't want to worry about carrying a can of lube and do the meticulous job.
Seriously? It's a hassle lubing the chain but adjusting it isn't? Seems rather silly since he HAS to adjust his chain or does he just buy a new chain whenever it gets too much slack as well?

Beemer

• Premium Member

There are at least as many bikers who are "insistent" on doing EVERYTHING themselves... myself included, unless we're talking warranty work.

AlbatrossCafe

I lube it every 300-500 depending on rain or not. It is kind of annoying but it takes like 2 minutes to roll it in your driveway and spray. Though I haven't "deep cleaned" it yet and I am at about 10.2k miles...

My first bike (2005 CBR 600 F4i) I owned (before I knew better) I didn't ever lube the chain and it wore out after only several thousand miles.

I lube the chain on any bike I own before each riding day, in the am. Its really easy, and makes your chain last. Even better, on some bikes I have installed an auto oiler that drips oil onto the chain. Those chains lasted a very very long time.

I also dont let dealers low paid techs touch my bikes.

• Premium Member

I lubed my chain today just to piss off anyone who doesn't think chains need to be lubed. :)
I use Dupont Chain Wax and I never clean the chain. I just spray the chain wax on and spray a little extra if there is a dirty spot. The dirt melts away and drips onto the cardboard below (I save old boxes just for that purpose).
I do it every 400 to 500 miles or whenever and check the tension too. The chain can probably last without it, but I like the piece of mind of knowing there is one less thing that might break on my bike unexpectedly.

Why can't left turners see us?

I lubed my chain today just to piss off anyone who doesn't think chains need to be lubed. :) I use Dupont Chain Wax and I never clean the chain. I just spray the chain wax on and spray a little extra if there is a dirty spot. The dirt melts away and drips onto the cardboard below (I save old boxes just for that purpose).
I do it every 400 to 500 miles or whenever and check the tension too. The chain can probably last without it, but I like the piece of mind of knowing there is one less thing that might break on my bike unexpectedly.

Old pizza boxes work great for this. Stuff the lid between the swingarm and the tire.

• Premium Member
I lubed my chain today just to piss off anyone who doesn't think chains need to be lubed. :) I use Dupont Chain Wax and I never clean the chain. I just spray the chain wax on and spray a little extra if there is a dirty spot. The dirt melts away and drips onto the cardboard below (I save old boxes just for that purpose).
Old pizza boxes work great for this. Stuff there lid between the swingarm and the tire.
Good idea!  I'll have to start saving my pizza boxes now (and besides... most of the time they are already pre-filled with grease). ;) 

berettatrio
Old pizza boxes work great for this. Stuff there lid between the swingarm and the tire.
Good idea!  I'll have to start saving my pizza boxes now (and besides... most of the time they are already pre-filled with grease). ;)
This is a good idea. I'm going to do this next time

• Premium Member

Just to note... the "experts" at the bike magazines periodically talk about this. One of the more recent ones I read said to clean with kerosene and lube with... WD40. The issue is not lubing the pivots, per se, but keeping the outer surfaces from getting rusty or otherwise deteriorated. Modern chain-pivots are permanently lubed and sealed barring damage. All say to never "deep clean" a modern O- or X-ring chain in any way that can force water and/or dirt past the seals. Also, anything that can damage the seals is a no-no, hence, the recommendation of kerosene.

Btw, for many of us, I suspect, the issue in replacing chain and sprockets in NOT the cost but the hassle in doing that.  Ultimately, each of us must decide what is a bigger hassle, chain maintenance or replacement.

Well, you guys convinced me. Time to stop wasting my time lubing the chain!

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I clean my chain between 500 and 1000 miles. I first make sure the chain is warm from a short ride. Using WD40 I remove the old grease and grimes, I then apply a good spray of white lithium, using a card board box (pizza box) to protect the bike from the over spray. That's also when I check if the chain needs to be tightened.

Well, you guys convinced me. Time to stop wasting my time lubing the chain!

They didn't say it's bad, but you should keep crap from caking up and working it's way into the chain. That's why I usually give it a quick wipe and spray with some Teflon spray to help keep it lubed and easier to clean next time.

I trust what avanti says so nothing fancy and expensive for this guy in the future. I will use up my remaining chain wax.

Thanks, avanti! That's the kind of post I like seeing, it's not your typical, "This is what I use!".

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3

WD-40 is fine and keeps the chain really clean and grunge-free. However it's a very, very light oil which will need to be applied often and after any encounter with water.

I used it religiously on my dirt bike, but I was cleaning the chain/bike each ride.

More recently I've tried DuPont teflon multi-use lube in the squeeze bottle. After cleaning with WD-40, 1 drop of DuPont on each o-ring and roller. Let it dry overnight and wipe chain with MF towel. Chain is still really clean after 700 miles and has a light waxy film. Almost no sling...

• Premium Member

I was going to make a lube joke... cus I mean... what's wrong with lube?

I mean lube help with friction, but hey - some people like more friction than others.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
I clean my chain between 500 and 1000 miles. I first make sure the chain is warm from a short ride. Using WD40 I remove the old grease and grimes, I then apply a good spray of white lithium, using a card board box (pizza box) to protect the bike from the over spray. That's also when I check if the chain needs to be tightened. 

Pizza box gives me an idea....  I think I'll save the pizza box, and an extra slice of pizza. Then I'll just run the chain through a folded piece of pizza (with protective pizza box underneath) until the chain is sufficiently lubed. I think Little Caesar's works best. Plus, it gives me an excuse to eat pizza at least every 500 miles (not that I need one).

• Premium Member

Btw, since I bought a can of Yamaha's chain lube when I bought my 07, that's what I use for lube.

I'm going to leave my comments to myself about taking 1 min to spray some crap on a chain....

I can't imagine not lubing the chain. I even pack a can of lube with me on longer rides. I really detest cleaning the chain however. Thats why I've switched to a dry lube - less mess.

Archived