The MT-07 Forum

California Superbike School or YCRS?

so1102

• Premium Member

I am still a relatively novice rider, and I want to attend a school to really jump-start my skills.  I'm thinking about attending either the California Superbike School or the Yamaha Championship Riding School late fall/early winter (one is in Vegas and the other Tucson).

Anyone have direct experience with either (or even better, both), and have a recommendation for me?

• Global Moderator
I am still a relatively novice rider, and I want to attend a school to really jump-start my skills.  I'm thinking about attending either the California Superbike School or the Yamaha Championship Riding School late fall/early winter (one is in Vegas and the other Tucson). 
Anyone have direct experience with either (or even better, both), and have a recommendation for me?

Ycrs
their champstreet course taught me loads, I cant wait to take the full course

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

aaronjbush12

What kind of skills are you looking to improve, different schools have different focus.

pineappleunderthesea

Have you taken a look at the Total Control courses, they seem to take street riding to the next level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
phicurious86

Both companies get pretty rave reviews. Don't think you'll go wrong either way. However, looks like CSS will only let you use their bike for the session you're looking at. Something to consider.

I am strongly considering doing the YCRS session in early November.

I'm going to both days CSS has up here at Thunder Hill in late September. I'll make sure to let you know how it goes. I'm guessing you need to make a decision before that point though.

Ride, ride, ride some more. At your own pace, in proper gear, in varied weather. There is no substitute for hours in the chair, to steal a pilot'ism. I logged 15,000 miles my first season. The MSF Advanced course (or commercial spin-off) should be pretty cheap and will (should) get your skills up a bit and if the instructors are any good will spot and help you nip poor habits in the bud. CSS is fine but track biased and you don't get the peering over your shoulder level of scrutiny; admittedly you'll learn a goodly bit about throttle control, maximum braking, and getting more comfortable riding at speeds higher than you can reasonably attain on a MSF playground. You should learn about sight distance and importance of looking far further ahead than your brain is natively wired to perceive as "sufficient".

I can't comment on YCRS. Total Control and it's various kin (eg. StayinSafe) have good reports.

If you want an absolute gas, do the 2-day American Supercamp. Fair warning, you'll be stiff and sore unless you regularly ride motocross.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm contemplating YCRS next month. $2200 though AFTER a little discount. That's a lot of track days or an advanced MSF course and still a lot of track days haha. Most likely I'm going to save YCRS for next season. Back in May 2015 when I took my BRC with MSF... the instructor strongly recommended YCRS. He said it was the best thing he's ever done for his riding. Why not do CSS AND YCRS? :)

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

Sorry, no experience with either and I know this isn't what you're looking for but just for future reference in case you or anyone would like to take a dirt riding course that can also help to improve road skills. You don't have to have your own dirt bike to take the course either. (looks like fun, too!) I hope you find what you're searching for, good luck!

https://motoventures.com/

Beemer

• Premium Member

I did the California Superbike School a while ago here in Vegas. It was my first time on a track ever with a motorcycle. Each day is a level, and they have 1-4. The class they offered was the 2-day school, in which you have to use their bikes. Even though I had my own gear, I rented theirs for $200.

I completed level 1 and 2 without drama and learned a ton. I'd like to go back for level 3 and 4, but I won't do it at the Las Vegas venue. The track they use here is the "Outside Road Course", and although I like the track, it's not used often and it's very dusty so the grip levels aren't that great.

For level 1 and 2 you won't be pushing to hard so I doubt it'll be an issue, but just something to consider. If you go @so1102, you can stay at my place and save some $$$ on hotel fees, etc.

Having said that, I really want to do the Yamaha School also. I've been to their seminars at some race events, and like to soak in what they teach also.

It's good to get different points of view from these classes, and then evaluate and apply them to what you're already doing and see where you can make changes to best suit your own riding style.

It'll increase awareness, safety, and your potential.

It was mentioned that for the price of one of these schools, you could do a bunch of track days and such, which is true but...

The thing about these schools is that they get you up to speed (literally) much, much faster than if you just learned on your own as you go.

I recently took an advanced riders track orientated course at Chuckwalla because the opportunity presented itself. Not only did I learn something new compared to what I already learned from the California Superbike School, but we also did a bunch of lead follow stuff, and it was interesting to see some of the lines the instructor took. I've done track days there before, and I was progressing very good. After the Advanced Class was over on Saturday, we went out on our own for Sunday, and I set my best lap ever, in 117 degree heat.

I think it would have taken me many, many track days to reach that mark on my own, so sure, experience and practice helps, but these schools can get you there much much quicker, and safer too.

No matter what you decide, ANY instruction is worth while...

:)

- Paulie

Archived