The MT-07 Forum

New Jersey Motorcycle License

teebrunz

Anybody take a road test recently in New Jersey? I know people who took it a few years back and they said it's just in a parking lot. However I just signed up for one next week and the requirements include a person w/ license and a vehicle. So I'm assuming it's now on the road and I have to supply transportation for the examiner? Pain in the ass. So not only do I have to take off work early I have to find someone else to be willing to do so and drive my car. Can anybody confirm this?

dentalprodigy

Hmmm... I didn't know you need a licensed person with you. I'm in NJ and went the msf route. Although I have a friend who got the written permit first ($5 + easy exam) then paid some guy on Craigslist $50 bucks to bring a scooter on test day. They practiced in the parking lot for an hour and then my friend attempted the parking lot test. I don't think this is an “road test " type of exam like they do overseas. It's some cones you have to navigate through (much easier on scooter) and an emergency stop component etc. Search on YouTube for complete actual road NJ road test videos.

• Premium Member

Its just because you have to ride your bike to take the test because you don't have the license you have to ride with a licensed rider......I think

Here in MI you just have to have your permit to ride ... but you have to ride with another licensed rider, makes no sense really.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I live in PA, but I believe you have to bring a person with a motorcycle license to the location. This is so they can ride your bike to the testing location and home if you fail the test. I think trailering your bike to the location is OK and eliminates the need for the licensed motorcycle rider, but only if you have a trailer or pickup truck. As it was explained to me the road test is not actually given on actual city streets, but a testing lot (parking lot) setup for the motorcycle road test. You also have the option to get your endorsement via a MSF basic rider course, which cost around $300 in NJ. The MSF school will provide the motorcycle, so no need to bring your bike or find a licensed motorcycle rider for the road test.

When I got my NJ MC license back in 1972 or thereabouts. You needed a licensed MC driver to follow you because you could not ride alone on a permit. I did mine a closed course (Wayne NJ), but other DMV's may have it an a public road. I'll bet it has not changed one bit. The last part was a slalom around some cones. I managed to pass 1st time on my 73 Kawasaki enduro,

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I was able to get someone at the dmv and found out the site I'll be taking my test at has a closed course, they made it sound like not all do. And since now in NJ you are not required to ride with a licensed rider with a permit ( the only restrictions are no passangers, no toll roads, and no riding at night) I will be able to just show up with myself and bike and take the test. Very good news.

dentalprodigy
Hey guys, thanks for the info. I was able to get someone at the dmv and found out the site I'll be taking my test at has a closed course, they made it sound like not all do. And since now in NJ you are not required to ride with a licensed rider with a permit ( the only restrictions are no passangers, no toll roads, and no riding at night) I will be able to just show up with myself and bike and take the test. Very good news.
Sweet. Good luck on the test.

well...dayum, something in NJ, that makes sense?  WTH

Archived