The MT-07 Forum

What's your next bike gonna be?

zoltan

Yeah I was really pumped about the 2017 Victory Octane so I went to the dealership and sat on it. Immediately, I said to myself, "Hell no". The bike failed the butt test miserably. The seat was hard as a rock. The gas tank has some hard lines that pressed into my inner thighs, and the foot pegs just didn't feel like they were in a good place.

So now I'm looking at the 2017 FZ09. Wow, that bike is super sexy. I really like the futuristic styling. The headlights look like blue laser beams. Fully adjustable front forks. Enough balls to beat basically any bike or car. I'm in love.

• Like 1

Guest ChicagoAJ
A guy I work with has a 1998 VFR800. It sounds absolutely incredible. I thought it was a Ferrari or supercar of some sort when I heard it start in the parking garage before actually seeing it. 
Haha yeah! It sounds much bigger than it really is. I actually test rode one last Saturday after posting my original comment. It was a 2014 with 26 miles on it (still new). Retailed for $7,900 which is about $4,500 off the original MSRP. The deal was very tempting... 
The power curve was actually pretty similar to the FZ (smooth throughout) but it had more top end. Going 85 didn't feel like I was pushing the bike too hard. More aggressive riding position than I was expecting though. My arms were tired after only 5 minutes.

So I am still glad I have the FZ now... but like I said, if Honda makes a V4 naked... I am so in

I'm learning the hard way about small adjustments in riding position. The GSXS seating position is the same way, leaning a tiny bit forward, there's way more weight on my hands than the FZ's position. I'm close to 400 miles on the bike and I did about 130 yesterday, my back and arms are pretty sore. Worth it though. I feel you on the top end aspect - 85mph on the FZ felt pretty forced. It definitely didn't like sitting there for extended periods of time. @pgeldz - What kind of break in do you prefer; hard, normal, or easy?

• Like 1

Probably an FZ-09 after the 2017 announcement. They made all the changes and upgrades I wish my bike had!
-ABS
-Slipper Clutch
-Traction Control
-Wired for quick shifter
-LED headlights

SOLD

• Like 1

• Premium Member
@pgeldz - What kind of break in do you prefer; hard, normal, or easy?

I do a hybrid break in of sorts. Here's the Cliffs Notes:

I always never stay at constant throttle or do highway riding, and always vary the throttle and use engine braking.

0-50 miles - I let the bike warm up good by idling for a minute or two after start up, then ride around for a block or two. After that I take the bike up to 1/2 to 3/4ths of the rpm range, and let it slow down with motor braking

51 miles - Change oil and filter with normal dino oil

52-250 miles - Same as 0-50, but I go 1K below redline

251 miles - Change oil and filter with normal dino oil

252-600 miles - anything goes

601 miles - Change oil and filter with normal dino oil

602-1500 - anythng goes

1501 - Change oil and filter to high quality synthetic oil like Motul 300V Factory Race

That's usually how I do it, and so far no problems.

I think the most important things are:

No SUSTAINED operation at high rpm
Let the bike warm up properly
Change the oil often, especially after the first few miles.

:)

- Paulie
  • Like 1

Yeah I was really pumped about the 2017 Victory Octane so I went to the dealership and sat on it. Immediately, I said to myself, "Hell no". The bike failed the butt test miserably. The seat was hard as a rock. The gas tank has some hard lines that pressed into my inner thighs, and the foot pegs just didn't feel like they were in a good place. 
So now I'm looking at the 2017 FZ09. Wow, that bike is super sexy. I really like the futuristic styling. The headlights look like blue laser beams. Fully adjustable front forks. Enough balls to beat basically any bike or car. I'm in love.
I need to sit on the octane then!

I got this pain in the butt to keep me occupied...love the fz but cannot keep up all day with my buddy on his fj 10a0b94f991ffd940c891690ec2a2c67.jpg

I just picked up an 07 ZX6R but I am keeping the FZ, the ZX will be more for track days.

Right now I have it torn down for valve adjustment and overall inspection. 

Torn_Down.jpg

zx_and_fz.jpg

zx6r.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
I just picked up an 07 ZX6R but I am keeping the FZ, the ZX will be more for track days.  
Right now I have it torn down for valve adjustment and overall inspection. 

Torn_Down.jpg

zx_and_fz.jpg

zx6r.jpg

That's super clean for an 07. Nice find!
  • Like 1

That's super clean for an 07. Nice find!
Thanks, it has 12k, a full akra system, PCV, frame sliders, and brand new pilot power 3's.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I want one of these... LOL!

167038068aa7bb7aa01e71c59a6d1c00.jpg

87a1ecb5c25da8d8fd09d5b860157d02.jpg

88941d006c6a2b04b35a252eae91aaee.jpg

34e098cc1ac6293ec29108743f3e9513.jpg

I mean come on...

2f220365c6925e91ad16ba435cd32522.jpg

SigSide.jpg

AlbatrossCafe

I finally saw/sat on one at the dealer. They don't really appeal to me in person like they do in the pictures... maybe it was because it was the armor gray & neon...

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I finally saw/sat on one at the dealer. They don't really appeal to me in person like they do in the pictures... maybe it was because it was the armor gray & neon...

It'll appeal more when you ride it.

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator

Im in the same boat as you....  i loved it in pictures.... sitting on it is uncomfotable... 
Convinced a friend of mine to let me borrow one of the dealer units.... took it around the parking lot for a parade lap... thing handles well enough... but i dont think i could own one...

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I posted something similar in another fz10 topic.  I went to the dealer, saw it, sat on it.  It is weird, its complete opposite of many bikes.  It looks great in pictures, it looks kind of "meh" in person (ie., you can sort of feel and see the cheapness of the plastic accents- man touch that back section, the fins/wings and you'll literally say wtf?).  And the bike DOES NOT fit me at all.  It is huge.  That is one of my biggest laments on bikes.  You can lust after a particular bike but it is sad the moment when you realize it utterly does not fit you.   
@jeffkisthename you should visit a local dealer and see the bike in person, sit on it and see whether or not you still feel the same.

• Like 1

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I posted something similar in another fz10 topic.  I went to the dealer, saw it, sat on it.  It is weird, its complete opposite of many bikes.  It looks great in pictures, it looks kind of "meh" in person (ie., you can sort of feel and see the cheapness of the plastic accents- man touch that back section, the fins/wings and you'll literally say wtf?).  And the bike DOES NOT fit me at all.  It is huge.  That is one of my biggest laments on bikes.  You can lust after a particular bike but it is sad the moment when you realize it utterly does not fit you.   
@jeffkisthename you should visit a local dealer and see the bike in person, sit on it and see whether or not you still feel the same.

I have sat on several FZ-10s. The look I love, the size is...she's big, and the cheap plastics don't bother. The chassis I solid. We're not buying a Ducati here guys...

My only thing is riding it. I wonder how she compares to a Suzuki GSX-S1000. I've ridden that and loved it, though that bike felt kind of porky (in turns I felt that it was kind of top heavy for some reason, but that didn't stop me from accelerating through those twisty turns) and I don't really care for the looks of that bike.

When I took the GSX-S1000 out for a demo ride, it wasn't your normal demo ride. We had some canyon carving type twisties in our ride and the lead was riding at an awesome illegal pace. It was great. I got to really test the bike. I was able to ride it in the top portion of the power band as well.

SigSide.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ

I have sat on several FZ-10s. The look I love, the size is...she's big, and the cheap plastics don't bother. The chassis I solid. We're not buying a Ducati here guys... 
My only thing is riding it. I wonder how she compares to a Suzuki GSX-S1000. I've ridden that and loved it, though that bike felt kind of porky (in turns I felt that it was kind of top heavy for some reason, but that didn't stop me from accelerating through those twisty turns) and I don't really care for the looks of that bike.

When I took the GSX-S1000 out for a demo ride, it wasn't your normal demo ride. We had some canyon carving type twisties in our ride and the lead was riding at an awesome illegal pace. It was great. I got to really test the bike. I was able to ride it in the top portion of the power band as well.
Some Australian MotoGP dude ran a 10.2x in the quarter at 145mph on a bone stock dealer demo GSX-S1000 not too long ago (that's near liter supersport times). Wonder if the FZ-10 could do that with the same rider, they're both around the same wheel horsepower. After owning a GSXS for over 500 miles now, I can really say the bike is an awesome all around-er. It is much heavier than the FZ-07 and it's a beast getting it to lay over for turns and keep it there, but I've heard that a 190/55zr17 tire instead of the stock 190/50zr17 really helps when it comes to cornering.  
Much like other people here, I wasn't comfortable at all when sitting on an FZ-10, it just didn't fit me right and I'm fairly tall, around 6'2" with shoes. To me they don't look very good in person and the plastic stuff does look cheap. And that price tag, ouch.

1d30d8034bde5a3e72dfffda90969d6f.jpg
Thinking about upgrading soon?  Your fz07 should give you a nice 1k trade-in what with the 500,000 miles you've put on it!  No but seriously, what's stopping you?

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
1d30d8034bde5a3e72dfffda90969d6f.jpg
Thinking about upgrading soon?  Your fz07 should give you a nice 1k trade-in what with the 500,000 miles you've put on it!  No but seriously, what's stopping you?
No need for it yet. Even if I get a 2nd bike, I'm still keeping the FZ-07.
  • Like 1

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I test rode an FZ10 during a demo day in Deptford, NJ. Didn't really care for it al all.
What did you dislike about it? I want to get a gauge of what bothers people about the ride of this bike, so I can be extra keen on whether I'd be able to live with the dislikes. Also, to see if others dislikes parallel mine.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

I spy a silver FJ-09 with a blue frame... FZ-07+FJ-09= harmony

• Like 2

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
I test rode an FZ10 during a demo day in Deptford, NJ. Didn't really care for it al all.
What did you dislike about it? I want to get a gauge of what bothers people about the ride of this bike, so I can be extra keen on whether I'd be able to live with the dislikes. Also, to see if others dislikes parallel mine.
Didn't like the look of it, and I didn't particularly care for the ride. For me I personally like the ride and feel of my FZ-07 better. If I am going to upgrade than I going to go for a better ride like the Ducati XDiavel which I test rode in Metuchen, NJ and fell in love with. That will be my next bike.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Didn't like the look of it, and I didn't particularly care for the ride. For me I personally like the ride and feel of my FZ-07 better. If I am going to upgrade that I going to go for a better ride like the Ducati XDiavel which I test rode in Metuchen, NJ and fell in love with. That will be my next bike.
I personally dont care so much for the stock feel of the FZ-07 after having Woodcraft Clip-ons and rear sets. I rode my buddies FZ a couple of weeks back and it just felt weird. I couldn't wait to get back on my bike haha.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm sure everybody's FZ-07 feels different for everyone. Probably another may ride mine and not like how if feels compared to their own and vice versa. That's natural.

And that price tag, ouch.

$300-500 over the FZ10 MSRP will get you a 2016 RSV4 Tuono Factory off the show-room floor. Given that, it's not even a comparison.

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg