The MT-07 Forum

What's your next bike gonna be?

zoltan

Guest 2wheeler

I've been meaning to post this for a couple of months.... I bought a play bike from a guy that was lookng for a quick sale. It's a 2003 Yamaha TTR225 which is in fine shape and I paid a gigantic $700 for it. Just good clean and cheap dirt bike fun where I can flip it in a couple of years and still make a profit. The pic speaks the truth and it runs as good as it looks.

IMG_1252.jpg

• Like 3

Began a long story here, but wiped it out as I wasn't answering the question.

Before riding the FZ07 I had a bigger range of bikes to choose from, but now I am so happy I didn't buy a Ducati Scrambler or a BMW F800. Any bike I will by after -07 will either have to come with an engine at least as eager together with a much better chassis, or it will be a big cruiser. And it will have a maximum of 3 cylinders as I hate listening to fours when I'm just droning along.  The exception is the MT10, that sounds good due to its special crank layout despite having at least one too many cylinders.

The only reason I'll get a cruiser again is if my wife decide to come riding with me. It would be worth having a bike that's less fun to have here along for the ride. It would likely mean something like a Triumph Rocket 3 or Star 1900, but chances are slim she will convert  :-[

Began a long story here, but wiped it out as I wasn't answering the question. 
Before riding the FZ07 I had a bigger range of bikes to choose from, but now I am so happy I didn't buy a Ducati Scrambler or a BMW F800. Any bike I will by after -07 will either have to come with an engine at least as eager together with a much better chassis, or it will be a big cruiser. And it will have a maximum of 3 cylinders as I hate listening to fours when I'm just droning along.  The exception is the MT10, that sounds good due to its special crank layout despite having at least one too many cylinders.

The only reason I'll get a cruiser again is if my wife decide to come riding with me. It would be worth having a bike that's less fun to have here along for the ride. It would likely mean something like a Triumph Rocket 3 or Star 1900, but chances are slim she will convert  :-[
Maybe she will have the hots for Mr. MAX.??? 

021512_ghost_rider_spirit_of_vengeance_yamaha_vmax_1.jpg

Beemer

My wife is size many-XL and will need a bigger pillion perch to cater for her tush. Just don't tell her I just wrote that publically (:))

• Premium Member

I won't be buying another bike since both mine (and other assorted toys) should well outlast me, but if I were I'd get the 2017 Ducati Supersport.

• Premium Member

I haven't been around as much lately, since I picked up a Suzuki GSX-S1000F. It wasn't even on my radar until I went to a dealer after talking myself out of buying a new car. :) So, I love the new bike, but... the FZ-07 still has a soft spot in my heart, and if I could justify owning both bikes, I would have, and almost did, but the intended purpose for the bikes just overlapped too much in my mind, and the dealer gave me a great trade value, so I went with the one I that could also do some touring duty. I know I could mod the FZ to a tourer, but it just doesn't have the freeway bent that the GXS has.

... but to be honest, I miss this forum, because there is nothing else like it! I'll be hanging around just for the that. :)

• Like 4

Why can't left turners see us?

• Global Moderator
I haven't been around as much lately, since I picked up a Suzuki GSX-S1000F. It wasn't even on my radar until I went to a dealer after talking myself out of buying a new car. :) So, I love the new bike, but... the FZ-07 still has a soft spot in my heart, and if I could justify owning both bikes, I would have, and almost did, but the intended purpose for the bikes just overlapped too much in my mind, and the dealer gave me a great trade value, so I went with the one I that could also do some touring duty. I know I could mod the FZ to a tourer, but it just doesn't have the freeway bent that the GXS has.  
... but to be honest, I miss this forum, because there is nothing else like it! I'll be hanging around just for the that. :)
And we like having you around !!

And soon you will realize your mistake because owning a Suzuki is unforgivable. (jk)  ;)
  • Like 3

• Global Moderator
I really want a grom for no good reason at all.
You want a Grom for the same reason I wanted a Honda Monkey :)

G_Honda_Monkey_1_zpsofq2e4a0.jpg

• Global Moderator
The car equivalent of the Grom (IMO) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HondaCity.JPG It was a gas to ride in/drive and comfortably handled 6" Americans in the driver seat which back then was very rare.
Yeah, I remember these. Great little cars. Impossible to find nowadays.

There were even versions that came with a matching motorcycle that pit perfectly in the trunk.  8-)

0c4925eff9ace02232b859c125d97352.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 2wheeler

If all goes well, I'm getting back one that I never should have let get away - 1977Suzuki PE250.

This is one of three of them that I have owned. New shocks, modified forks and a RM250 head made this one hell of a woods bike. Plus it can be made street legal in a Virginia way as in no inspection needed if it is over 25 years old. This pic is the bike I will be getting this weekend. FYI, the pipe is not chrome, but ceramic coated by Jet-Hot.

20170520_113151.jpg

• Like 2

If all goes well, I'm getting back one that I never should have let get away - 1977Suzuki PE250. 
This is one of three of them that I have owned. New shocks, modified forks and a RM250 head made this one hell of a woods bike. Plus it can be made street legal in a Virginia way as in no inspection needed if it is over 25 years old. This pic is the bike I will be getting this weekend. FYI, the pipe is not chrome, but ceramic coated by Jet-Hot.

20170520_113151.jpg

Those were sweet bikes! They take alot of abuse and just keep ticking. Great freakin woods bike!

Well, I posted a separate thread on this, but figured I'd comment here too. Im working my buying my next bike. 2006 CBR600RR. Hopefully I'll have it by Saturday. I'm buying it off of a friend. Keeping the FZ07 as my touring bike. Not exactly what it was designed for, but I enjoy doing day trips on the FZ07. Might sell it and buy a full on sport touring next year (maybe a VFR800).

I have been trying to find a good condition Honda Nighthawk 750 for the past 2 years. Still hunting. If I had the money I'd buy a newer CB1100 or a Bonneville. I want something a little more comfortable for 2-up with a standard riding position and 1-piece, same level seat. As a second bike, of course. Not letting go of my FZ anytime soon. :)

• Like 1

I want the new R6 BAD. I might get one next year. Of course, I'd keep the FZ-07 for the majority of riding, but I miss the pull of an I4 on occasion. Either that or find another FZ6 and put hard cases on it and make it a touring machine.

• Like 1

I have been trying to find a good condition Honda Nighthawk 750 for the past 2 years. Still hunting. If I had the money I'd buy a newer CB1100 or a Bonneville. I want something a little more comfortable for 2-up with a standard riding position and 1-piece, same level seat. As a second bike, of course. Not letting go of my FZ anytime soon. :)
Have you ridden a Nighthawk? I found the seat huge and it should be comfortable, but it was too soft for me and compressed into discomfort in short order. If you want serious comfort together with good handling and power, you should try and source a Suzuki GS1000G or a GS1100E - provided you could find one in excellent condition as they are getting a bit old. Despite being a decade older in design, they feature better suspension and brakes than the Nighthawk. Then there is the Euro version of the Nighthawk, the CB Seven Fifty  8-)  
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cb750f2_seven_fifty%2092.htm
Honda_CB750_F2_Seven_fity_92_3.jpg

The new CB1100RS with the 17in cast wheels and special paint is a beauty  8-)  

I wouldn't mind a Bonnie Street, either http://www.cycleworld.com/ducati-scrambler-icon-vs-triumph-street-twin-vs-yamaha-fz-07-motorcycle-review-comparison-test#page-9

Have you ridden a Nighthawk? I found the seat huge and it should be comfortable, but it was too soft for me and compressed into discomfort in short order. If you want serious comfort together with good handling and power, you should try and source a Suzuki GS1000G or a GS1100E - provided you could find one in excellent condition as they are getting a bit old. Despite being a decade older in design, they feature better suspension and brakes than the Nighthawk. Then there is the Euro version of the Nighthawk, the CB Seven Fifty  8-)  
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cb750f2_seven_fifty%2092.htm

I will keep an eye out for the GS1000G/E. Not really familiar with it, but it does look like it fits the bill. I'm not set on getting a Nighthawk, I'm just familiar with them and they fit the seating requirements I'm looking for. I have indeed ridden a few NH 750s and I do like them. For sure, I would prefer something more modern, but then it gets out of my budget. :D

There are many solid bikes from the 70s and 80s that offer great comfort. This was a time when style came second to function. If you find something of interest to you that you want to discuss, feel free to PM me. Or if you suffer from insomnia, I can provide a long list of possible candidates with pros and cons that will probably make you go to sleep in no short order :D

There are many solid bikes from the 70s and 80s that offer great comfort. This was a time when style came second to function. If you find something of interest to you that you want to discuss, feel free to PM me. Or if you suffer from insomnia, I can provide a long list of possible candidates with pros and cons that will probably make you go to sleep in no short order :D
lol Good to know! Got some bills going on now, and bought some stuff for the FZ, so I need to build up my bike fund back up again! I'd also thought about the Yamaha XS1100, as a guy was selling a '79 by me, but I wasn't sure about maintenance... like if it would be less reliable than Nighthawk, or if a shop would consider it too old to work on, etc. 

When it comes to bikes more than a decade old, the most important part is how they have been maintained. Bikes sitting outside a lot in humid areas will likely develop electrical issues from corrosion, same regarding brakes. Bikes sitting for decades also tend to have their issues. If you can find a bike that's been used a little every year and where the owner bothered to replace brake fluid and engine oil plus filter regularly, you have great chances of a trouble free ownership.

Finding shops that will work on them will be a little harder, but they are out there. And if you want to learn, they are mostly simple to work on. The XS1100 is generally very reliable, but 2nd gear is a bit weak and if ridden hard it will tend to jump out under load. A comfortable tourer. Shaft drive is an added benefit since there is no chain to lube along your holiday route.

If you want something that also handles while being similarly practical, try and find a Seca 900. Good brakes, suspension that also tolerate a sporty pace, plenty cornering clearance and wider rims that will take a bit more rubber. The engines are anvil strong and the model was made until 1995 for Europe, so parts are no problems. Not that you will need many.

• Like 1