The MT-07 Forum

What's your next bike gonna be?

zoltan

Well, I know what it's not going to be. 
Over the years I get amazed at the bikes and cars/trucks that I fell in love with on paper, but just sucked in real life. The most recent one is the new Moto Guzzi V9. Looks awesome in pictures and the reviews are pretty favorable in a Guzzi way. I saw and sat on my first one on Sunday - instant fall out of love. Too bulky as in just big. It's not that heavy nor is it really tall, it's just bulky. Plus it really didn't look as good live as in the pics.

Now, the bike that surprised me is the R3. I saw that one Paulie got in the gray/black, and I thought that looked great. Catch was that no way do I want a crotch rocket sitting position. Well, about a month ago I say on my first one, and was surprised that it was pretty darn OK. That might be the next one.

I've got 7000 kms on my little R3 and still lovin it. My 07 has been on the back burner since the R3 turned up. Might have to sell the 07 next spring. Insurance is high here and it doesn't make sense having both insured.
The R3 has none of the 07 flaws. Too bad there isn't a R7.

As @howlinhoss (well, his brother) can tell you, riding a fast bike slow is really frustrating compared to the joy of riding a slow (little) bike, fast.

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
As @howlinhoss (well, his brother) can tell you, riding a fast bike slow is really frustrating compared to the joy of riding a slow (little) bike, fast.
But when you need the power and it's not there, then what? You're left wanting more or end up in a dangerous situation. When I had my CBR250R/CBR500R they were straight up terrifying on the highway, if you had to pass someone you could crank the throttle around the bar and the only thing that happened was the engine got a little louder - that sucked. Riding 2-up was nearly impossible too even if both people on the bike are low to average weight.  
I think riding a big bike slow is fun because you know with a tiny wrist input you're blasting off if you so desire. Plus, they still get great gas mileage - not 70mpg like a CBR250R, but mid 40's pretty easily if you're taking it easy. The only downside to having a bigger bike is the service intervals (mainly for valve checks).

I never enjoyed my smaller bikes even riding them real hard. They were just boring (in my opinion). However, my experiences with bikes are limited to the street only, I have never done any track time, so maybe a smaller bike would be more fun on the track. 

• Premium Member
But when you need the power and it's not there, then what? You're left wanting more or end up in a dangerous situation. When I had my CBR250R/CBR500R they were straight up terrifying on the highway, if you had to pass someone you could crank the throttle around the bar and the only thing that happened was the engine got a little louder - that sucked. Riding 2-up was nearly impossible too even if both people on the bike are low to average weight.  
I think riding a big bike slow is fun because you know with a tiny wrist input you're blasting off if you so desire. Plus, they still get great gas mileage - not 70mpg like a CBR250R, but mid 40's pretty easily if you're taking it easy. The only downside to having a bigger bike is the service intervals (mainly for valve checks).

I never enjoyed my smaller bikes even riding them real hard. They were just boring (in my opinion). However, my experiences with bikes are limited to the street only, I have never done any track time, so maybe a smaller bike would be more fun on the track. 
Small bike at the track is still great fun. Rode an R3 at my local track this weekend and while I was happy to get back on my Daytona for the next session, I was still grinning ear to ear on the R3 through the turns.
  • Like 1

I think its all relative. If you started on a 250, I can see someone getting bored real quick if that's all you have, all you can think about is how boring it is. I started on a mid-range bike, own a liter bike, and then got ahold of a 300cc and its a blast.

If you own both a liter bike and have a 300cc, it puts it into perspective how great a small engine, light bike really is. Its capable of doing things you just can't on a liter bike. Plus since you have two bikes, you know exactly what you'll be using the small one for (not going on the highway).

Guest ChicagoAJ
I think its all relative. If you started on a 250, I can see someone getting bored real quick if that's all you have, all you can think about is how boring it is. I started on a mid-range bike, own a liter bike, and then got ahold of a 300cc and its a blast. 
If you own both a liter bike and have a 300cc, it puts it into perspective how great a small engine, light bike really is. Its capable of doing things you just can't on a liter bike. Plus since you have two bikes, you know exactly what you'll be using the small one for (not going on the highway).
R3 has a wet weight of ~375 pounds. Most liter bikes are around ~450 pounds wet (600cc bikes are even closer to the 400lb mark). What can you do on the R3 you couldn't do on a liter bike? The only thing I've noticed that's harder on my GSXS versus any of my other bikes was trying to do a u-turn while staying between curbs on a 2 lane road, which is still possible it just takes a little more caution. 
Everything else the liter bike seems to do a lot better, including cornering. But like I said, I'm not flopping it over from side to side through track turns, but I still don't really understand the pros of a smaller bike besides efficiency, it's cheaper, and it's probably a lot easier to start out racing a 300cc vs a 1000cc since there's much more room for error on a smaller bike. Other than that, I can't think of any other benefits. 

I'd like to own more than one bike at a time, but I honestly don't think I'd ever use both equally. The only way I could have two bikes would be if I got a cruiser or a completely style of bike in general, or something to really beat the hell out of and stunt and not care if I dropped it. Even then I'd probably still only use one the majority of the time. 

if you're paying attention you don't get "surprised" into situations where "power now!" is the necessary solution. Small bikes make the rider work for it which is far more satisfying than just twisting the grip. My DRZ400 is plenty powerful at 65+MPH to scoot at a moments notice even with 260lbs sitting on the seat.

I will say 50HP in a 250lb bike at the track (KTM motard) is *HELLA* fun! You can pass people everywhere just not on the straights.

• Like 2
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
if you're paying attention you don't get "surprised" into situations where "power now!" is the necessary solution. Small bikes make the rider work for it which is far more satisfying than just twisting the grip. My DRZ400 is plenty powerful at 65+MPH to scoot at a moments notice even with 260lbs sitting on the seat. 
I will say 50HP in a 250lb bike at the track (KTM motard) is *HELLA* fun! You can pass people everywhere just not on the straights.

You can pay attention all you want but if you get someone behind you that's having a bad day and wants to take it out you and all you want to do is get away from them, you're just not going to be able to. That situation doesn't happen much, but it happens. 

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Love this bike. But what is that last picture of?
The key for the bike.
  • Like 1

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

How about the base model CBR1000RR! Looks much smaller. I like how these liter bikes are getting smaller and lighter, but also adding more power.
1ad0b97a77ee4c1cc542912a2f2001f7.jpgc239f7ea5d2d37132c7bd98a28b2de7b.jpg241846b5cdc19ee1058292ac225d7654.jpgcb77b69de3ddd7f26a33880fafdccb46.jpgc40d47b83c76d42c398c452e52f70218.jpgf80b9dc1c9cab481e0a52622646044d2.jpg
f92e171c354116e2dd104e2cb748886f.jpg71081aaf1231777a9bef0a5e374ffc28.jpg5b09cc5b2a6d36733d1cdffb008277f6.jpgfca2174a600e8ec988bff938022c0e73.jpgee8243cbd7a2b0cc8a19a3a5f8237a47.jpg0cbe6a3d0935a95fe3b6a7c511444b7b.jpg1fe4fd5c1223eb2865003a29b016bac6.jpg5ecae4c904d7db4242935678412afcd1.jpg9b79b46643b3981859a6b0fb867877ae.jpga75a5bafbf08379e00983ef80a04a2d3.jpg0d55bc1d815422da2bc32d1097037db6.jpgeee44c193e523dd50f014b11abf46e68.jpg906323f8f0df2e932cd6f4d1a49f0f91.jpg56a60d51af251adf2e45909d6a1d0dee.jpg

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

cw1016_2017_bmw_g_310_gs_first_look_eicma_image_006.jpg

cw1016_2017_bmw_g_310_gs_first_look_eicma_image_012.jpg

cw1016_2017_bmw_g_310_gs_first_look_eicma_image_003.jpg

cw1016_2017_bmw_g_310_gs_first_look_eicma_image_001.jpg

BUT THIS BABY SIZED GS - BMW G 310GS

It's like... MY SIZE.

• Like 3

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I finally sat on the octane...felt very nice other than the pegs being way out front.

All of my bikes have been "standards" so I much prefer my feet directly under me

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

That's actually a good looking bike @motomeek!!!

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
That's actually a good looking bike @motomeek !!!
so too is the model....  is the the wifey @motomeek? or just the booth girl
  • Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

An Indian Roadmaster - one for 2 people, at the moment an FZ-07 for me, I guess I'd update to a Triumph or Ducati.

:)

IMG_5440.png

photo

hosting

Safe riding!

• Premium Member
That's actually a good looking bike @motomeek !!!
so too is the model....  is the the wifey @motomeek ? or just the booth girl
Haha, Wife and I were not at EIMCA. 
But this is what my wife looks like...

IMG_3527.png

• Like 4

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Global Moderator
WOW you wife really is the STIG!
The stigs californian cousin 

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

The FZ07 is my 7th bike. I'm alrewdy making the appropriate mods to change it into more of what I want. So unless it gets stolen like my last one, or totaled, I am set.

• Like 1

AlbatrossCafe
The FZ07 is my 7th bike. I'm alrewdy making the appropriate mods to change it into more of what I want. So unless it gets stolen like my last one, or totaled, I am set.
lol yeah right... what makes you think bike #7 is your last? I see at least 5 more bikes in your future. 

lol yeah right... what makes you think bike #7 is your last? I see at least 5 more bikes in your future.
The FZ07 ticks every box for me. Fast enough. Good off road. Great fuel economy. Dirt cheap full coverage insurance. Light. Can fit in my living room.

The only complaint I had was wind protection. But that will be taken care of when the last of my parts come in to finish my headlight replacement and bikini fairing mod.

Guest ChicagoAJ
lol yeah right... what makes you think bike [HASH]7 is your last? I see at least 5 more bikes in your future.
Fast enough.
For now...  

I thought it was fast enough for me too. Can never have too much power. 
  • Like 1

Fast enough.
For now...  

I thought it was fast enough for me too. Can never have too much power. 
There is not a for now. Ive already owned faster bikes. Torquier high HP bikes. Heavier bikes. Lighter bikes. Bikes with better suspension and brakes.

The FZ07 for me was a very calculated purchase that I compared to the likes of getting another ZX10R or Z750S or even trying out a TW200. Hell a Grom was in the running as well. Ive even kept my 82 Nighthawk 650 and 2012 Shadow 1100.

I can with 100% certainty say the FZ07 will be my last bike unless something happens to it.
  • Like 1