The MT-07 Forum

What's your next bike gonna be?

zoltan

• Global Moderator

I keep looking at the website but there is still nothing about 2017. I saw an article about the non-US colors that I posted in the news section of the forum, but I have seen nothing about the US colors for next year. It should not be long now though.

Now 63 and retired so the MT will be my last new bike. Will buy and play with some second hand bikes for projects though. Currently A Suszuki GS500F . Project id to lighten it and re-manufacture it as a more contempory component bike. Would like to make it EFI but don't think that will happen. Maybe if I can get 2 CBR125 efi sets or a couple YZFR125 sets.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

The announcement of the FZ-10 had me looking into it which is when I stumbled upon the S1000R and the awesomeness it is. Would absolutely love to get one but with currently having to park on the street I couldn't do that to such an expensive and nice bike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Keeping the FZ to commute on, and going to get something specifically for the weekend canyon runs. I'm a sucker for power down low so I want a V twin and a older one. I'm looking for either a Ducti 748, or a Honda rc51. I rode a 51 a while back for a week and it was just so smooth, heavy but so so smooth.

'16 FZ07

Ducati 1200S and Tunono 1100 Factory can be had for 18-20% off MSRP. 13K + fees + taxes. Both have 0% financing, 3yr for Aprilia, 5yr for Ducati.

@gregjet see megasquirt.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Thanks pattonme but I need complete throttle bodies, efi controller, sensor, etc. I am guessing it is prob cheaper to get stuff from crashed small bikes.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Since I have a 1980 Cb750 that's my cafe project I would love a long distance machine.

Either a cruiser or an all out tourer.

The victory octane looks pretty nice but the fj09 is tempting as well.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
I see no posts about what happened to your FZ07.  What happened?
I only made a brief mention of it somewhere. 6 weeks ago I was on an empty 2 lane road doing the speed limit at 45. A kid took a left turn from a dirt parking lot and plowed into me. I don't remember the accident. Concussion, broken back, busted teeth and 6 inches of my femur missing. Had 2 surgeries and need more. The bike is totaled. My new ride is a wheelchair! Looking at the Google Earth street view, the accident scene was at a straight stretch of road with good visibility. I'm told the kid did call 911 and stayed with me. I miss my bike. I miss my life.
Hey @jetgirl , I just read about your accident. I hope your recovery is going well, stay strong! 

• Premium Member

Well, just picked up my next bike, aside from the last one I picked up...

Teaser pic for now, more to come soon...

pXhinK1.jpg

:)

- Paulie

• Like 3

pXhinK1.jpg

- Paulie
You can't fool a current R3 owner with an easy teaser like that.   
Grats.  Fun little bike.  Redlining is a blast.  Change out the stock tires!

• Like 2

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member

pXhinK1.jpg

- Paulie
You can't fool a current R3 owner with an easy teaser like that.   
Grats.  Fun little bike.  Redlining is a blast.  Change out the stock tires!

Arrgh!  You got me!  I'm actually starting a race team with my R6 buddy.  We picked up a pair of R3's Wednesday to contest the lightweight racing class. 
Plan is to finish the builds by Jan, test in Feb, and do the last two rounds of the CVMA Winter series, with a full effort next season :)

- Paulie
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I knew the characteristics that I was looking for in a motorcycle and did loads of research before I bought the FZ-07.  After owning the FZ for several months, I think it's the bike for me.  ;)

• Like 3

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

I only made a brief mention of it somewhere. 6 weeks ago I was on an empty 2 lane road doing the speed limit at 45. A kid took a left turn from a dirt parking lot and plowed into me. I don't remember the accident. Concussion, broken back, busted teeth and 6 inches of my femur missing. Had 2 surgeries and need more. The bike is totaled. My new ride is a wheelchair! Looking at the Google Earth street view, the accident scene was at a straight stretch of road with good visibility. I'm told the kid did call 911 and stayed with me. I miss my bike. I miss my life.
Hey @jetgirl , I just read about your accident. I hope your recovery is going well, stay strong! 
Thanks. Surgery is 10/25. They're doing a bone graft from both hips. Hopefully I can try to walk afterwards. At present, I can only hop on my left leg using a walker for short distances. 

AlbatrossCafe

I am very happy with the FZ. I buy my bikes largely based on exhaust sound (lol) and reliability, and for that the FZ07 does great. But it has only one weakness - the Honda VFR800. Love the V4 sound. It is one of the best.

I thought the VFR800 was dead in 2011 (at least here in the states) but I recently learned that it came back redesigned in 2014 and 2015. It has a "safe" fuel range of about 200 miles (5 gallon tank with 40+mpg) which is AWESOME, is fast, comfortable, and unique.

I want to keep the FZ for a while. The VFR Engine has had improvements but hasn't changed that much since 2002 unfortunately. But I feel like if Honda comes back with an updated V4 I will buy nearly 100% chance. And if they come back with a V4 naked... I don't think I will be able to control myself ;)

The idle & low RPM noises are <3

Guest ChicagoAJ
I am very happy with the FZ. I buy my bikes largely based on exhaust sound (lol) and reliability, and for that the FZ07 does great. But it has only one weakness - the Honda VFR800. Love the V4 sound. It is one of the best. 
I thought the VFR800 was dead in 2011 (at least here in the states) but I recently learned that it came back redesigned in 2014 and 2015. It has a "safe" fuel range of about 200 miles (5 gallon tank with 40+mpg) which is AWESOME, is fast, comfortable, and unique.

I want to keep the FZ for a while. The VFR Engine has had improvements but hasn't changed that much since 2002 unfortunately. But I feel like if Honda comes back with an updated V4 I will buy nearly 100% chance. And if they come back with a V4 naked... I don't think I will be able to control myself ;)

The idle & low RPM noises are <3

A guy I work with has a 1998 VFR800. It sounds absolutely incredible. I thought it was a Ferrari or supercar of some sort when I heard it start in the parking garage before actually seeing it. 

• Premium Member

My next bike was always going to be either the R3, FJ-09, or R1.  The Ducati Monster S4RS I picked up a little while ago was an anomaly...

Never ridden a Ducati before until the way home from exhibiting from the Laguna Seca WSBK race.  We had to pick up a pair of customer bikes in Long Beach, CA on the way home to Vegas but we didn't have the proper pins for our trailer restraint system.  We were going to come back the next day and get them but he customers wanted us to ride them to Vegas.  Twist my arm why don't ya, LoL.  Fell in love with it and Randy (my boss and owner of BellissiMoto) says, Paul, if you like that, you'll love the Ducati S4RS we have in the shop.  It's the best Monster ever made.  Comes from the factory with Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes, Marchesini wheels, and best of all the same motor as the Ducati 999 Superbike.  Bring your helmet tomorrow and take it for a ride.  I did, and bought it as soon as I got back :)  It was one of those rare instances where I knew the whole history of the bike, how it came to be at our shop, and was able to get in touch with both previous owners and trace it's history and maintenance.  It was a glowing example of an S4RS, so I jumped on it.

Like I said tho, it was an anomaly.  What put me over the edge though was because at BellissiMoto, we are the exclusive dealer in the US for Paolo Tex Designs Bodywork, and the kits we have make the Monster look incredible - almost like a concept bike you see on the internet, but something you can actually buy.  Figured since I work at a place that caters to the Italian crowd, why not get more familiar with them by building the ultimate Paolo Tex Monster?  Just like I did with my FZ-07 making a naked race bike, I intent to make the Ducati a concept-like Cafe Racer race bike.

Which brings me to the bike I was eventually going to get, the R3, FJ-09, or R1...

The R3 because I seriously want to RACE.  Not just track days, but elbow to elbow RACE.  It's the cheapest way to do it, and the grids are packed with racers at all levels.  That's important because I'd rather be at the back battling it out with someone for last place, than to be on a much faster bike riding around by myself.  I've took a good look at the other classes of racing, and there is a big disparity between the fastest and the slowest, and often times they are so spread out it feels like just another track day.  That's what happened when my R6 buddy did his first race a few weeks ago.  He started around 12th of about 22, and finished 11th.  There was no one near him the entire race.

The R1 because it satisfies the speed freak in me, but the literbike class is even worse, and if you're unfortunate to have an off at the speeds the R1 is capable of, well, bad things can happen FAST...for you AND your bike.  Plus you go through tires every weekend, so it gets expensive quick.

The FJ-09 because I fell in love with the Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Grandturismo I picked up from Minnesota for work and rode back to Vegas.  I had such a good time on that bike with my GF who rode on the back I wanted to get a sport tourer, and for a sport bike guy at heart, you really can't beat the FJ-09 for its versatility in that area.

I ultimately got the R3 because my R6 buddy was finally on board with the idea of starting a race team.  He had just sold his dirt bike and MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster...both of which he never rode.  He took half of that money and decided to get the R3 and go racing...so how could I say no?  LoL

We made the deal Monday with my contact where I got my FZ-07, and picked up the pair of them Wednesday.

I finally got a chance to ride it today and start my break-in...what a FUN bike!

Figured I'd post these pics so I can reflect back on how this project started LoL, because come January if all our parts have arrived the pair of them will be torn down and reborn into full blown race bikes :)

IMG_20161022_163710.jpg

IMG_20161022_154337.jpg

IMG_20161022_154411_3.jpg

- Paulie

• Like 4

Guest 2wheeler

Dang Paulie, that's a good looking bike!

I didn't know they had that color - I just saw the blue ones. That gray/black combo is the best looking of the bikes they have on the Yamaha website for 2016/2017 R3 IMHO.

Enjoy!

AlbatrossCafe
A guy I work with has a 1998 VFR800. It sounds absolutely incredible. I thought it was a Ferrari or supercar of some sort when I heard it start in the parking garage before actually seeing it. 
Haha yeah! It sounds much bigger than it really is. I actually test rode one last Saturday after posting my original comment. It was a 2014 with 26 miles on it (still new). Retailed for $7,900 which is about $4,500 off the original MSRP. The deal was very tempting... 
The power curve was actually pretty similar to the FZ (smooth throughout) but it had more top end. Going 85 didn't feel like I was pushing the bike too hard. More aggressive riding position than I was expecting though. My arms were tired after only 5 minutes.

So I am still glad I have the FZ now... but like I said, if Honda makes a V4 naked... I am so in