The MT-07 Forum

sc project vs akrapovic

zoltan

I'm torn between this two. I'm curious to see which one people prefer.
At the moment I'm drawn more to SC because it makes more power on the paper.
Any thoughts, suggestions?

Unless you dyno and push the bike to it's limits, any power gain is probably not noticeable with just the exhaust. IMO go with whatever you think sounds/looks better.

I forgot to mention from my point of view the most important thing about an exhaust is (not in order):
1. How it looks
2. How it sounds
3. How much power it can gain

The SC Project is super light. I've read on here that it weighs like 8 pounds! The Akrapovic Ti weighs close to the same as the stocker. Some posts on here say the stocker weighs 18 lbs! I know there was a post on here giving the weights of a bunch of the popular exhausts. The post said the SC currently is the lightest exhaust on the market. If that exhaust is really 8 pounds that's a ton of lost weight. I'd go with the SC.

• 3 weeks later...

I went for akra. Because I found a second hand for £350. Bargain. Couldn't miss it. And no regrets...
With dB killer is close to OEM. But without it....f#£ing hell. I'm terrifying children on my street. It sounds like a AK47.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I went for akra. Because I found a second hand for £350. Bargain. Couldn't miss it. And no regrets... With dB killer is close to OEM. But without it....f#£ing hell. I'm terrifying children on my street. It sounds like a AK47.

Wow, hard to believe with the db killer in the Akra Ti isn't much louder than stock. my Akra Carbon hurts my ears after a while with the db killer in, haha. 

• Premium Member
The SC Project is super light. I've read on here that it weighs like 8 pounds! The Akrapovic Ti weighs close to the same as the stocker. Some posts on here say the stocker weighs 18 lbs! I know there was a post on here giving the weights of a bunch of the popular exhausts. The post said the SC currently is the lightest exhaust on the market. If that exhaust is really 8 pounds that's a ton of lost weight. I'd go with the SC.
Akra Ti with header is about 5 lbs lighter than stock with header. 10.6 lbs vs 15.8 lbs or something like that if I remember correctly. It is also louder than stock, but not a lot.

Why can't left turners see us?

Akra Ti with header is about 5 lbs lighter than stock with header. 10.6 lbs vs 15.8 lbs or something like that if I remember correctly. It is also louder than stock, but not a lot.

I agree with Zoltan. It's not as loud with the baffle, but it's pretty damn loud without. When I come home late, I turn my bike off before I get to my house and just coast so no one hears me. Lol.

I actually really like the sound of the Ti with the baffle in. I wish there were a few more "quietish" aftermarket exhaust choices than there are right now.

• Premium Member

The > 5 lbs difference was measured by me when I took the stocker off and put the Akra Ti on, so I'm not quoting specs.  It was measured on a very accurate scale I use to measure my bicycles (I'm also a bicycle weight weenie). :) 

Why can't left turners see us?

• 1 month later...

For those of you still torn between the two, I have some interesting news. They just released a matte black SC Project exhaust last month. A little more expensive, but it just fits the style of the bike imo. I never understood the hype about the Akra, it still looks like a giant block of metal under the bike.

YAMAHA_MT_07_SCPROJECT_BLACK_EXHAUST_SCPROJECT_M.jpg

Yep, I ordered another SC-Project from the and waiting for it. :) (the XSR 700 one, hehe). 1 week waiting already, 4 left approx.!

For other stuff I have ordered they were very fast. Very satisfied with their customer service!

Safe riding!

Yep, I ordered another SC-Project from the and waiting for it. :) (the XSR 700 one, hehe). 1 week waiting already, 4 left approx.! 
For other stuff I have ordered they were very fast. Very satisfied with their customer service!
You would assume it would fit, but do you know for sure that it will? Akra makes a bunch of really sick exhausts for the XSR-700 that I would love on my bike but don't know if they fit the FZ-07 or not

You would assume it would fit, but do you know for sure that it will? Akra makes a bunch of really sick exhausts for the XSR-700 that I would love on my bike but don't know if they fit the FZ-07 or not
Yep, there are Youtube videos and FZ/MT 07 and XSR 700 share the same chassis and engine. :)

Safe riding!

Does anyone know if there is a flash out there for the SC Project - ideally from 2WDW?
I reached out to 2WDW the other day and they responded with the following: 
"Unfortunately, we have not seen an SC Project exhaust in person, yet!  We have modified an existing tune file to use in the meantime, and when we do have a customer bring in their bike with your same exhaust, everyone can mail their ECU back in for an update.  We have had great results with our modified file so far!"

They also dropped a hint that they may be doing another Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal like last year.  Maybe they will have an official SC Project flash available by then.  I think people ended up saving ~$50 for ECU flashes.... if you have the patience for that hah.

Guest 2wheeler
 We have had great results with our modified file so far!"

Thanks for posting this! 
It gets me wondering though, and I'll readily admit my lack of knowledge on digitally tuning a bike, but how do they get "great results" without a bike being actually there with the SC exhaust. Just thinking while I am typing... do they have a wing-it all around flash that they have sent out to folks with the SC, and they gave them feedback that their bike ran OK? I would be concerned about getting a potentially too lean condition and having engine issues as a result of that.

I think we need somebody in the NW to get to 2WDW with a FZ-07 with the SC. I keep saying I'm staying away from an exhaust, but between the Ixil IRace and the SC, my resolve is weakening. Both pipes look great and sound great, but 2WDW doesn't have anything for either of them, unless the regular Ixil has the same profile as the IRace which I tend to doubt.

I think the key is patience as the FZ-07 is so hot now, there will be more things coming down the road shortly for that bike.

• 2 months later...

Well, after a 13+ week wait (definitely not happy about that) I have finally received and installed the p><p> <a href=http://preview.ibb.co/ma07Ov/20161210_135513.jpg' alt='20161210_135513.jpg'>

Well, after a 13+ week wait (definitely not happy about that) I have finally received and installed the 20161210_135513.jpg[/url]

I have the silver matte version, thought the same about the baffle... well, it is in fact perfect WITHOUT it - I have ridden 4 hours at 60-70 mph and it is more bearable than you'd think! :)

Safe riding!

Performance aside go for looks and sound (and possibly price). But not by a  YouTube video. You have to hear it in person. Your butt won't know the difference from one to the other in terms of performance.

Archived