The MT-07 Forum

Hello! first time rider here.

fz07user

Hi everyone,

I just passed my MSF and looking to get new motor cycle. I am split between choice of naked sports bike or cruiser (polar opposite types, I know!).

My first choice is FZ-07. While I haven't taken any test rides yet, I tried sitting on one at the local dealer. I am 5'7" and both my feet could rest on the ground while I was on bike, but I had to keep my legs completely stretched. I feel like I would be able to keep control of bike if my feet are flat on ground with knees bent a little bit. So do you guys think this would be something to be concerned about as a first time rider? Or should I go for any other shorter bike or cruiser (vulcan S) to get more experience riding and then move up to FZ-07?

I would like your thoughts on this. Thanks and I look forward to be part of community here.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Any bike is a good starter bike if you actually ride within your skill range. You need to get what you're most comfortable with, not what other people tell you. I would suggest trying to find a used one to test ride or maybe even do a demo day at a local dealer to see what style of bike you're most comfortable with.

This bike has enough power to flip you over backwards pretty easily if you accidentally dump the clutch, there's a video of a demo ride to prove it - and the guy was coming from a CBR600RR.

I always suggest to people that are looking to get their first bike to buy something used and cheap. Most people don't want to, but chances are you'll drop your first bike - and it would suck to drop something brand new. 

You should be ok with the FZ but I get it about the seat height. I can almost flatfoot it and that's fine now but with my first bike I had a slight bend in my knees and I felt more confident. I wouldn't do the cruiser thing. For me that's too much of a knee bend and I don't like how they're so long. Just doesn't feel right. Though I do think the Vulcan S looks cool. You might consider a shorter used bike. Ride it for one season and move on. It's funny, I took a spin on my old Ninja 250 today. My knees were slightly bent and it felt wrong. I guess it's what you get used to.

Congrats on passing your MSF and getting your endorsement.

You will most likely adapt to whatever situation you are faced with.  But seriously, if you are able to get both feet down (and not tip toe) you should be fine.  I would be more concerned about the FZ07's throttling and torque for a first timer than the stationary footing to be honest.

I am 5'6" and with a short inseam so I cannot get both feet down, they would end up tip toe so what I did was only put one foot down (and I got used to doing that the very first day of owning my FZ07 which is my very first bike- that I pretty much do that on all the bikes I own).  Check out this vid, look how ridiculous I look with both feet down while backing up my 490 lbs motorcycle:

You can see at the end when I stop backing up, I just put my left foot down and my right foot up.

I do understand that a lot of people seem to put way too much energy into the "confident" feeling of having both feet flat down, but really, that isn't what you ultimately should be worried about when it comes to riding. 

Everyone is different.  How you handle something may not be how someone else does.  My brother in law is a motorcycle racer/stunt rider, so he has a huge circle of riders and thus I have been introduced to many of them.  I've met girls who are 5'1" riding unlowered R6s like they are nothing.  I know guys who are 6 feet and they still dropped their bike on a stop for some type of mistake despite their very confident inspiring flat footing (haha).  I think the whole flat footing business is too much energy spent and overthinking.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

Putting your feet down is over-rated. :) I joke, but in truth, most "cruiser" style bikes are at least 100 lbs more than the FZ-07 (not sure about the Vulcan S), the FZ-07 is your friend if it starts to tip on you, even with a longer reach to the ground. But... something like a Vulcan S will not be as easy to get into trouble on when it comes to loosing traction from torque or engine braking, and it would (maybe?) be better for long distance on the highway too due to it's higher weight and lower profile, and it will not require as much throttle control to ride safely. That being said, it's a short learning curve to throttle control, and I think the FZ-07 would be a much better long term fun, all-around bike (unless you are always doing long miles).
That's why I own one, in spite of owning a lot of other bikes, including cruisers.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Welcome! See if there are Yamaha and Kawasaki demo ride events for these bikes coming to your area. If not, call around to local dealers to see if they have these bikes available to test ride, since you are a potential buyer. If ABS is something you want, it is only available on the Vulcan. Also, the Vulcan weighs 100lbs more than the FZ-07. Have fun!

• Premium Member

The FZ is my first bike as well. I sat on it for a while, leaned back and forth etc, and finally bought it brand new off the show floor after only reading dozens of reviews and comparisons. Riding experience was zero. Im 5'8 165lbs and even though I dont have extensive seat time on other bikes, personally I find it to be just right. I lean it over ever so slightly to flat foot it at lights etc, but it's comfortable. It's light enough to handle and flick around and Im confident I can (I can only assume) pick it up from a laid down position. I tried couple cruisers at the safety course and I prefered the more sporty posture of the FZ for safety/defensive nimbleness reasons. I found the long lumbering cruisers to be just that; and the posture just wasnt right, I felt much less confident.

Ive been pretty easy on the throttle on the FZ, especially off the line. I could tell right away it's got alot of beef that can quickly get out from under you, so it's baby steps in everything I do out there, along with a healthy dose of respect for that torque. Of course I can't own this thing without opening it up a bit once in a while. I take some desolate back roads in the country side just to see what she has to offer. No cops, no cars and hopefully no wildlife. Awesome.

Obviously its up to you in what you feel most comfortable with.  The best advice I could offer is to really do your research (not just customer reviews either) and buy the best possible gear you can possibly afford.  Fabrics and species/grades of leathers vary wildly, so choose wisely, your ass will thank you if "it" ever comes to pass. Respect whatever bike you decide on so you wont put your spiffy gear to the ultimate test. My opinion is body first, bike mods second.
Get out there and enjoy it!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Wow! Thank you so much for your response everyone.

I tried multi quoting the posts to reply to each one of you on your comments but couldn't get it work, but I think you all have a good point that flat footing shouldn't be my biggest concern for FZ-07.

Between FZ-07 and Vulcan S, I love power/weight ratio of FZ-07. Biggest take away from all your comments is throttle and torque control for FZ-07 to be safe. So I am going to request test rides for both FZ-07 and Vulcan S at local dealers and see which one feels right in a sense of "ride your own ride". I kind of share same sentiment as you all about cruisers but Vulcan S looks better than typical cruisers, although 100lb heavier than FZ-07!

Next, I will be test riding fz-07 to see if I can feel confident with power it has and how is it riding with one foot down. I couldn't find demo days in Maryland unfortunately, but dealer should be ok letting potential customer test ride.

Thanks again for your comments.

• Premium Member

@Mr.Puss said it perfect.  I'm 5'7", first bike and I have no issues.  Took the MSF course and waited a couple years to get the bike.  Just take it nice and easy and get used to the throttle, clutch, and engine braking and you'll be fine.  I can't flat foot, but I'm comfortable and never feel like I don't have control of the bike.

Good luck on your choice, let us know what you decide.

Archived