The MT-07 Forum

2nd Gear Starts

chewbakkah

I find it a ton easier to start in second gear rather than first. Will this hurt the bike at all? I have done it in the past in cars with no problem.

It just seems easier as I don't have to make that 1-2 switch just past the intersection. Also gives me time to reach up and close my visor. I live in Houston and you HAVE to open the visor at stop lights.

-Chewy

• Global Moderator

You will wear the clutch slightly faster, but with a wet clutch it will probably not be a noticeable difference. If you are happier starting in second I say go for it.

• Premium Member

There was just a thread about this...

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Guest ChicagoAJ

1st goes to 52mph - 2nd goes to 63mph or something like that (but 2nd is barely taller than 1st if you shift at redline). You have plenty of time in 1st... Lol

• Global Moderator
Yes... there was

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes... there was
I couldn't find it. It would be super useful if you guys had linked to it.

• Premium Member

I start in 2nd gear 98% of time...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

othgbronco82

I actually have started from a dead stop in 3rd by accident. I took off and was like that was a lot of clutch work to get going. Then I looked down and saw I was in 3rd. I just use first most of hte time since I like to pop the front end up for a second. :)

Guest Ralph

The thing will set off in top/6th without touching the throttle but
other than trying it out of curiosity I would not recommend it.
1st gear and a number 1 on the dash should give us a clue as to
the order of doing things.

If I start in 2nd gear will the sticker be easier to remove from the tank?
Thanks for this, i got a damn good laugh from this.

• Global Moderator
If I start in 2nd gear will the sticker be easier to remove from the tank?
Thanks for this, i got a damn good laugh from this.
starting in second wont help remove it....
but if you stand on one foot and dance like a chicken it might help

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I'm in Houston too. Visor def must be popped to vent (at least ) when coming to a stop. I wear safety glasses during the day so I can keep the visor flipped up All the way thru 40mph without worrying too much about rocks hitting my eye balls. I accidentally started in both 2nd and 3rd. 2nd wasn't so bad but still threw my rhythm off. I just felt dumb in third and the bike sounded noticeably bogged down. I missed 2nd gear yesterday going thru a light, so I can see how starting in second would eliminate the torquey starts and let you coast off the line without having to shift so soon. I think what ever keeps the rider comfortable, in control, and the bike stable is the best way to go.

I'm in Houston too. Visor def must be popped to vent (at least ) when coming to a stop. I wear safety glasses during the day so I can keep the visor flipped up All the way thru 40mph without worrying too much about rocks hitting my eye balls. I accidentally started in both 2nd and 3rd. 2nd wasn't so bad but still threw my rhythm off. I just felt dumb in third and the bike sounded noticeably bogged down. I missed 2nd gear yesterday going thru a light, so I can see how starting in second would eliminate the torquey starts and let you coast off the line without having to shift so soon. I think what ever keeps the rider comfortable, in control, and the bike stable is the best way to go.
Hey, just a heads up to all. I don't know what kind of safety glasses you use but the ones I use aren't sealed around the eyes and on two occasions small flying bugs have went up underneath the frame where there was a tiny gap and into my eye and so I've changed my ways. It caused my eye to water instantly and close up tight by reflex and my other eye watered up as well and nearly closed all the way also. I almost wrecked because I couldn't see very well and I barely managed to pull over to the side of the road without getting hit or wrecking. It's rather scarey/dangerous riding blind so be careful about the safety glasses you use with the visor up.

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
Hey, just a heads up to all. I don't know what kind of safety glasses you use but the ones I use aren't sealed around the eyes and on two occasions small flying bugs have went up underneath the frame where there was a tiny gap and into my eye and so I've changed my ways. It caused my eye to water instantly and close up tight by reflex and my other eye watered up as well and nearly closed all the way also. I almost wrecked because I couldn't see very well and I barely managed to pull over to the side of the road without getting hit or wrecking. It's rather scarey/dangerous riding blind so be careful about the safety glasses you use with the visor up.
Learned my lesson almost this same way. It was autumn and the leaves were flying everywhere. Got some leaf debris in both eyes that went right under my clear safety glasses. Now I always get the ones with the foam liner.  

Archived