The MT-07 Forum

Steel Braided Brake Line

Beemer

I also have a problem with them but I would describe the feeling front and back a "remote" You do get useable braking power, but there isn't a good connection feel at the levers. Almost every set of brake lines I have changed to steel reinforced have been a marked improvement in power and/or feel. MY preference has been mostly for HEL lines.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator
I also have a problem with them but I would describe the feeling front and back a "remote" You do get useable braking power, but there isn't a good connection feel at the levers. Almost every set of brake lines I have changed to steel reinforced have been a marked improvement in power and/or feel. MY preference has been mostly for HEL lines.
I can tell you without a doubt that just the spiegler lines make a difference and adding the Ebc front pads make it a world of difference
i've noticed the feel from the fronts has gotten near the point of perfection
i can just almost feel the cross-drillings the feedback is just that good

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Concerning pads. I am going to do some research to see if there are bendix carbon metallic pads available for the 07. I have used all carbon pads on some of my race bikes and that is r revelation but they are unsuitable for ordinary street use as they have to be kept hot. I was informed by the distributors that the carbon/metallics work almost as well and maintain feel when using intermittantly ( ie street) but I haven't used them yet so it will be an experiment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I too have not done SS on any of my bikes, but on all the cars I cannot tell a difference.

@bellissimoto if I have Woodcrafts installed in the 1.5" down position, how much shorter would you recommend going on the front brake lines? I think I would go with the dual front brake line, one to each caliper.

bellissimoto
@bellissimoto if I have Woodcrafts installed in the 1.5" down position, how much shorter would you recommend going on the front brake lines? I think I would go with the dual front brake line, one to each caliper.
Funny you ask this, because I was just thinking the same thing... 

I'm currently using Goodridge lines for an FZ-09.  When I did mine, no one made an FZ-07 set.  My Goodridge set is like stock, as in a single line from the master cylinder to the right caliper, with a crossover line to the left caliper.  Not sure if it's because I have the FZ-09 kit, or because I have the Woodcraft bars in the 1.5 inch down position, but the crossover line isn't nice and snug on the front fender.   Instead of being like a U shape, it's more squared off, if that makes sense.

After selling a few of the Spiegler kits and seeing their quality, I've been thinking of changing to these brake lines also, doing the 2 line separate fronts, but like you, I'm wondering about length.

Here's what I know so far...

@sorkyah is using the Gilles Tooling adjustable risers with the Gilles Tooling GTOL 1 piece bar.  He ADDED an inch to each front line, and said it's still a little snug.  I'm not sure how low his bars are though.  When I originally asked him why he added an inch, he said it was because the Gilles Tooling bars are a little wider than stock...

...so that doesn't leave me with a good indication of what we should do with our set up (add or remove length).

@panchobullet got the same lines also but he is running his 1.5 woodcrafts in the up position.

He may be changing to the down position soon and when he does he'll let us know on the brake lines, if they could go shorter and by how much.

As soon as I know something I'll share it with the forum.

:)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

• Global Moderator

I have the GTOL bars at -3 on the rotation(bar marks)... so a bit further towards me, but i also have the clamps as far forward as they will go (or +6)

the gtols are about 2-2.5" wider than stock
and the clamp/spread area is just over an inch wider than stock...
having only seen the clipons in person once i cant really make an assumption as to how far off this is

bellissimoto
I have the GTOL bars at -3 on the rotation(bar marks)... so a bit further towards me, but i also have the clamps as far forward as they will go (or +6) 
the gtols are about 2-2.5" wider than stock
and the clamp/spread area is just over an inch wider than stock...
having only seen the clipons in person once i cant really make an assumption as to how far off this is
Yeah, we're gonna have to see if @panchobullet can weigh in since he's the only other person I know who has the 1.5 Woodcraft bars and the Spiegler alternate routing (2 lines at the master cylinder) kit. 
- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

Try SBS Racing Sintered pads if you want to experience some great pads. I sell them for $34.95/caliper. They are a carbon metallic pad with good initial bite, then the really "ramp up" as they heat up. Good all-around pad IMO, I use them in my street bikes and used to race with them too. SBS also make one called the Dual Carbon that offers ludicrous braking power, but they are race only and wear quickly.

http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_77&products_id=567

J.D. Hord

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!
Bendix and SBS all carbon pads should NOT be used on the street. Forget the "wear quickly and say I will just change them more often". These pads in my experience are incredibly superior to Organics or mettallics, BUT they have to be bedded in to get a haze on the discs, the haze has to be renewed as it only lasts a day or so properly and wipes off if you brake cold and they MUST be kept HOT to work.

The carbon metallics are supposed to be the go on the street but I haven't tried them yet and, if I can get a set, will do so.

Don't assume that the front lines will be shorter because you have put the Woodcraft "clipons " on. These bars are angled upwards and take a bit of line to get the upward curve. Mine fitted fine with stock lengths BUT I have spaced my headlight as well which msy give them a bit more leeway.
Also you may put the woodcrafts on and change your mind. I may go back to the Renthal ultralows as they seem to have a bit more road feel and less vibration. Interestingly the same thing happened on my ER6N that I raced. Wonder if it is a mid sized bike thing?

bellissimoto

I'm in contact with @panchobullet to see just how much shorter the lines will need to be with the Woodcraft 1.5 risers in the DOWN position...

Stay Tuned.

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

• Premium Member
panchobullet

All right fellas... Finally has some time couple of days ago to swap from up to down position on the Woodcraft 1.5 so here are the results of this test. Before I dive into it just a couple of things for you to know/consider:

- Spiegler lines are awesome so if you are thinking if you should get them or not, just stop and get them
- The only difference for from lines is length with one being 2 inches shorter than the other
- Long line is intended for LEFT caliper
- Short line is intended for RIGHT caliper
- Mine were installed flipped (long on right caliper and short in left). Keep this in mind!

Woodcraft 1.5 Inches - Up position

- Both fittings on Master Cylinder were installed with a -45° angle pointing to the left fork
- Both lines were routed from each caliper to triple clamp lock
- Left line was routed from below triple clamp lock to the right and then both lines up from the right fork into the master cylinder. 
- There was little room to accommodate the left line and no option to reduce the length any shorter
- There was enough room to reduce right line 1-2 inches
- There was enough free play for lines to travel freely while wheel were full lock or forks fully extended
- I used this configuration for a couple of weeks commuting and a couple of night rides without any issues.

Woodcraft 1.5 Inches - Down position

- Both fittings on Master Cylinder were installed with a 0° angle pointing to the left fork (parallel to master cylinder cover)
- Both lines were routed from each caliper to triple clamp lock
- Right line was routed up from the right fork into the master cylinder
- Left line was routed from triple clamp lock and back from the headlight and under the bulb going up into the right fork to meet the right line and up into the master cylinder
- There was little room to accommodate left line and no option to reduce the length any shorter
- There was enough room to reduce right line 1-2 inches
- There was enough free play for lines to travel freely while wheel were full lock or forks fully extended
- I used this configuration for a couple of days without any issues.

So, to summarize I think the OEM Spliegler lines could be shorten by 1-2 inches but I'd recommend just going 1 inch short to be 100% safe. Lines routing & fitting position on Master cylinder are key for a successful install with a sorter line and please remember that in my case the short one (originally intended for right side being 2 inches shorter than the other) was always on the left caliper but it was just by mistake. Eventually I'd switch them to the right side but works just fine as they are now. 

Here are a few pictures of the final product and please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help you in any way. I'll be more than happy so help anyone.

Master Cylinder:
[attachment id=2078" thumbnail="1]

Triple Clamp:
[attachment id=2077" thumbnail="1]

Right Caliper:
[attachment id=2079" thumbnail="1]

Left Caliper:
[attachment id=2080" thumbnail="1]

Oh, and if you have a Givi screen you can say bye bye to it in the down position as it will require some serious modification to the mounting or some cutting. For further details about screens fitment with Woodcraft bars please go to http://fz07.org/thread/5452/windscreen-1-woodcraft-clip-ons

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

bellissimoto

Thank you for posting that info up @panchobullet. I've been working with him on this for a few days now, going through all the configurations and measurements.

Going from the data I've collected from @panchobullet and @sorkyah, I've concluded the following...

If ordering Spiegler brake lines for use with the Woodcraft clip-on adapter plate and bars in the 1.5 DOWN position, I think you can safely get away with ordering the lines 1 inch shorter than how they normally come. Keep in mind if you ever flip your bars to the 1.5 UP position, the lines may be too tight.

The EXACT length to make them perfect and look symmetrical when routed properly with the 1.5 rise in the DOWN position is YET TO BE DETERMINED because there were too many variables with their set ups to begin with.

Spiegler has a great video that shows you how to measure for custom length brake lines and I plan to do this for when I order mine.

I don't have a headlift stand to properly unload the forks to measure for the brake lines, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to measure.

So as it stands now, I think a safe bet is 1 inch shorter than normal with the Woodcraft 1.5 rise in the DOWN position.

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

• Global Moderator

There isnt one at work you could borrow?@bellissimoto

bellissimoto
There isnt one at work you could borrow?@bellissimoto
I don't think so... 
- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

• 4 weeks later...
bellissimoto

So I finally got a good pic of the custom Spiegler Brake Lines...

I went with the Premium Kit which has the separate front lines, but opted for custom length front lines since I'm using the Woodcraft Clip-on Adapter Pate with 1.5 inch risers in the down position.

I went with 34 inches for the left caliper, and 33 inches for the right caliper.

When the forks are extended all the way, there is plenty of clearance lock to lock.

I like the lines to have some room in them for that reason, and also because I don't like the lines to have any extreme bends in them. If they were any shorter, the bend by the mounting tabs under the triple clamp would be to acute for me.

Overall, they came out great and I'd recommend the 34 inch left line and 33 inch right line for those using the Woodcraft Clip-on Adapter Pate with 1.5 inch risers in the down position.

The lines are very symmetrical...so much so that it almost looks like just one line from the side view...

YDS5aTah.jpg

Attention to detail at its finest, lol.

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

• Premium Member

I just ordered my custom set from @bellissimoto! I'll post up once I get them installed. Looks real clean Paulie!

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

Archived