The MT-07 Forum

Kryptonite Chain

enupe

• Premium Member

So I am thinking about purchasing the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit chain and lock for my bike.  For those of you that use this to secure your bike when out and about which should I purchase the 3ft or 5ft?  If you do not use this lock system please do not respond because I am only interested in responses to my specific question.

I have the 60" (5 feeter) and I still find it too short at times.

I mean, theoretically it should be fine in most cases.  Just look at how long it appears to be. 

cqX3nG6.jpg

But like I said, sometimes I wish it had another 1 foot on it (if you are like me and only insert it into the bike's frame, it eats up a lot of the length).  What I'm basically saying is don't get the 3 footer.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Depends on where your gonna run the chain, I use the swing arm going through the hole by the exhaust and find a 5 ft chain works within a foot to a foot and half of whatever object I am chaining the bike to any more and it's a pain in the ass to stretch and work, a 3 footer would be tight imo.

Guest 2wheeler

I'm not sure about Kryptonite's current lineup, but I have a set of two of their older noose chains that are 3'-4' long each for home use. I think the noose setup is great. You can loop a wheel, swingarm or frame, and then loop the second chain to a tree/pole/whatever and use one lock to join the two chains. This give you at least 5'-6' of separation between your bike and the anchor. At the end of the day, a good quality portable grinder or an oxy-acetylene torch is going right through those chains/lock. These are just to keep away the amateurs.

BTW, I use Abloy locks - awesome!

As far as carrying a chain when I am "out and about", I formally gave up on that idea when I got my FZ. Too much headache as well as weight to carry a chain. When I am riding, and leave my bike to go somewhere, I lock the steering and put a Xena disc lock on my wheel. If it gets stolen, that's what insurance is for, and a credit card will get me home. Sadly poop happens, and life is too short to be worrying about my bike getting stolen! This is coming from a guy who has been there and has the police report to prove it. I had a motorcycle stolen from my carport during the daylight hours of a workday, and I live in a "good" neighborhood. Poop happens!

Archived